Keeper Team - what should I target? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Keeper Team - what should I target?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Team - what should I target?

Postby Drob » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:41 pm

I'm in a 12 team keeper league. We use R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, CG, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, QS. Last year I got lucky on some guesses and drafted a few gems and was able to upgrade my offense substantially. I traded tons of depth and My 12 keepers ended up looking this after all was said and done.

P. Fielder (1B)
G. Sizemore (OF)
R. Braun (OF)
J. Bruce (OF)
A. Soriano (OF)
J. Reyes (SS)
M. Cabrera (UTIL)
B. Webb (SP)
C. Zambrano (SP)
F. Liriano (SP)
J. Verlander (SP)
B. Jenks (RP)

I was a very dolly Parton-like team (AKA top-heavy) and I managed to only finish in 3rd place w/ this team and seemed to struggle w/ the R, OPS, and was mid-pack in all pitching categories. I have 3 of the 1st round draft picks in the upcoming draft (as a result from trading multiple middle round picks...) where guys like victorino, Jeter, young, Wieters, B.J. Ryan, F. Cordero, Grienke, Doumit, and some other solid SP will be available. What is this team's biggest weakness and what categories should I look to draft first?
Drob
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Team - what should I target?

Postby MikeeDee » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:28 am

Nice keepers. You're obviously set at OF. Any idea which 2B and 3B are available? depending on who's available I might go that route.
He once hit a ball between my legs so hard that my center-fielder caught it on the fly backing up against the wall.

If Satch (Paige) and I were pitching on the same team, we would clinch the pennant by July fourth and go fishing until World Series time.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Drob » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:40 am

Zimmerman will be available, M. young is available (...hopefully andrews gets the call and young plays 3B), Kendrick would be a 2B option, but I had him last year and he's not very pleasnat to own. I. Stewart would be worth a flier and maybe Sandoval gets 3B eligibility. Other than those guys I'm looking at Jose Lopez....

I guess my main concern is what I should target with those 3 early picks. If Wieters is available at the begining of yahoo's season then I think I'd spend a pick on him...but then I don't know if i should target those positions you mentioned or improving my pitching staff.....
Drob
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:25 am

first off, nothing seems to be pointing in the direction of Verlander turing it back around. do not let him mess up your ratios until be proves himself. he can screw you up quicker than you think.
I would focus on 3B and 2B out of the gates, there is a steep drop-off at these spots.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Eagle Baseball » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 pm

If you are playing Yahoo (which it seems you are) than MCab will have 3B ability in 09 so 3B is not a desperate situation. You will need a 3B for next year. You have to love having 3 first rd picks. You currently have 7 hitters & 5 arms so if it was me I would look to get 2 bats and 1 arm out of those 3 picks. Of the guys you mention Victorino represents the most value. Ryan is decent value but not sure you need 2 closers at this point. I assume that Gordon was kept?? Zimmerman is decent value and a replacement for MCab next year and a Util this year. Greinke is solid here. Don't know who else is available but of the players you mentioned I would target:

1. Victorino- I know you have 4 OF's but he represents the best value and insurance for a sophmore slump with Bruce
2. Zimmerman- solid Utily this year and 3B next year (assuming Gordon was kept)
3. Greinke- solid starter at this point in draft
Ryan- quality RP but I don't think I would want 2 RP's here
Jeter- only if I knew that I could trade him
Kendrick- he is a value pick here but I feel your pain with him
Wieters- if available he would be nice to lock up.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team