Thinking of starting anew league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Thinking of starting anew league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thinking of starting anew league

Postby briane » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:09 pm

I think I posted this last year. I was looking to start a new league with the following basic rules:

Head to head with:

(a) Home Field announced each week, with the Home team able to select one category before the week that will not count, thus leaving 9 categories to play for.
(b) 15 teams of 3 5-team divisions with:
(i) Each team playing two weeks against teams in their own division (8 matchups)
(ii) Each team playing one week against each team in the other divisions (5 home, 5 Away)
(iii) Each team getting two bye weeks, for a total of 20 weeks.

I am interested in trying Part (b), but Part (a) is what I find really interesting. Anyone interested in helping organize this?

With (b), the three division winners get the highest playoff seeds, maybe byes for the first round, and definitely Home Advanatge as relates to part (a). Other playoff teams to be determined by discussion (pre-season) with other league owners.
briane
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thinking of starting anew league

Postby RDD15 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:50 pm

Why throw in the home team wrinkle? Let the better team decides who wins, not who is fortunate enough to be the home team.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby briane » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:06 pm

Over time, the better team would win out, since everyone would have the same number of home weeks as road weeks.

The wrinkle is that it allows an extra layer of strategy, of choosing one category that would not count each week (either b-c it is your opponent's strength or your weakness). When the playoffs arrived, it would attempt to mimic the home field advantage that higher seeds get. It is not a strong advantage. A team that would win 6-4 in categories would win no matter what category is discounted. But, in a 5-5 battle in the playoffs, it may give the higher seed an advantage, which they deserve through the season.

But, the real point is that it adds an extra layer of strategy.
briane
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RDD15 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:12 pm

When you point out the possible edge to playoff higher seeds, I kind of wish something like that went on in my leagues. I have a history of having the best record in fantasy leagues during the regular season, and bombing out in the playoffs to someone that has a hot week.

An unusual rule, but with the way you explained it, I don't mind it.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby brtnsbs » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:36 pm

That sounds awesome and definitely a cool wrinkle to add some home-field advantage to the playoffs. It definitely hurts having a strong regular season team only to have it have an off weak in the playoffs and lose 5-4.
brtnsbs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby briane » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:31 am

bump. Anyone interested in helping me give this league a try? Anyone know any websites that could handle it. If you went with a yahoo, you'd have to go with Commissioner Controls to set the playoffs becuase the standings would not be correct (with them counting every category every week).
briane
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby briane » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:38 am

bump.
briane
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Commissioner's Corner