Alvarez...beginning to wonder - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Alvarez...beginning to wonder

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alvarez...beginning to wonder

Postby Freebird27 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:14 pm

So, I have the first pick in my leagues prospect draft this year. I had pretty much set my mind on Alvarez without much debate. Reading the below info on rotoworld doesn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy!

Pedro Alvarez-3B- Pirates Jan. 17 - 9:28 am et

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports that the Pirates' "management is dissatisfied with the conditioning of" first-round pick Pedro Alvarez.

Alvarez is expected to begin his pro career at high Single-A, but that may change if weight gain and knee soreness remain issues. The newspaper notes that the Pirates were told Alvarez was working out during their Scott Boras-fueled three-month contract negotiations, but "team officials confirmed this week that he has not been in peak shape since signing the contract." In other words, so far at least he's been an all-around headache for the Pirates.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Would Alvarez be a lock for you (from last years draft class)?
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Alvarez...beginning to wonder

Postby hybrid » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:43 pm

The only other guy I would look at with the 1st pick, would be Smoak. Though overall that bit of "news" is about as helpful as asking my mother what I should wear.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MaudDib » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:04 pm

hybrid wrote:The only other guy I would look at with the 1st pick, would be Smoak. Though overall that bit of "news" is about as helpful as asking my mother what I should wear.

I would go with him or Smoak. The only thing that really matters is how he plays and you won't know that until later. He is the best talent and I expect him to continue his success once the baseball season starts.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 281)

Postby slickterp » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:34 pm

He's heavy, we get it. Not a revelation, nor important right now, b/c he's probably not htting the bigs this year that much anyway, maybe Sept, but my guess is they want to spend a season conditioning him more than anything.
slickterp
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:09 pm

They're all three very nice prospects but I think I'd take Smoak and Alonso before Alvarez. Both were better college hitters with better plate discipline and contact rates. But like I said you really can't go wrong with any of the three.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball