Holds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Holds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Holds

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:02 pm

By the way, I figure I'd add something informative to this thread along the lines of Holds instead of continuing the add/drop talk. Here are the top holders in the past month:

=7 Holds=

Matt Guerrier, Mark Lowe, Bobby Seay

=6 Holds=

Phil Coke, Mike Gonzalez, Sean Green, Peter Moylan, Hideki Okajima

=5 Holds=

Jeremy Affeldt, Pedro Feliciano, Latroy Hawkins, Jim Johnson, Brandon Lyon, Carlos Marmol, Nick Masset, Darren O'Day, Eric O'Flaherty, Darren Oliver, Chan Ho Park, Arthur Rhodes, Chris Sampson, David Weathers

You've got the top 2 holders (Seay, Affeldt), some former closers (Gonzalez, Marmol, Hawkins) and some real blasts from the past (Oliver, Park, Rhodes, Weathers). It's apparent that Okajima is the guy for Boston after all the speculation at the beginning of the season, while Brandon Lyon has long taken a back seat 8th inning role to Fernando Rodney. Some of these guys people probably don't want to touch, but a couple are probably quite ignored that could be valuable.

1) Matt Guerrier and Bobby Seay should not be on your wire if you are in a holds league. They're sticking around.
2) Peter Moylan is as dull as they get, but he's getting quite a few holds and is keeping the ratios at a good level. Doesn't K much.
3) Jeremy Affeldt is the kind of guy that you feel is going to puke all over you once you get too comfortable with him, but he has been very efficient in the past month (no earned runs!). Another guy that shouldn't be on the wire despite the history.
4) Phil Coke is the new Alan Embree in New York, and though he has been knocked around recently, he gets his holds from partial outings and then leaves before he overstays his welcome. The Hughes/Coke duo is working pretty well.
5) Mark Lowe is a great source for K's, and I've seen him hit 99 mph during a game, but man he can have a bad outing here and there. Still, holds and consistent K's might outweigh the ratio issue.
6) Nobody is touching Sean Green and Pedro Feliciano in my league, which is understandable looking at their ratios. However, Feliciano was pitching very well for awhile and despite a mid-June hiccup has been nearly lights out for 2 months now. Sean Green, though, is scary.

Any other comments on up and comers or who the heck Darren O'Day or Eric O'Flaherty are?
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 149)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CAVscout » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:40 pm

I'm a fan of O'Day, he's been pretty darn good since joining the Rangers, although between him and C.J. Wilson I might go the latter....Another guy to revisit is Jason Motte for STL, he got roughed up earlier, but with the trade of Chris Perez he will be taking the reigns of the setup position is for nothing else but by default....if he can get rolling you have a high strikeout guy on a division leading team
CAVscout
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Skins Fanatic » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:05 pm

O'Flaherty is a lefty for the Braves. He typically comes in to put out fires or in the 6th inning or earlier, since Bobby goes to Moylan/Gonzo/Soriano every single game in the 7th/8th/9th when the Braves are leading. This is obvi subject to change now, since Gonzo just came down with elbow tendinitis (not surprising given the vast number of appearances he has). Maybe he'll now take over 7th inning duties, though I still expect him to be used somewhat randomly. As a Braves fan, I wouldn't touch Moylan. He, like Gonzo, has been overused, and has started to predictably lose his effectiveness over the past couple weeks.
Skins Fanatic
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yankeesin05 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:03 pm

Thoughts on Sherrill as a holds guy in LA for the rest of the year? Is he just gonna be a lefty out of the pen or the primary set up guy?
Yankeesin05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Texican » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:40 pm

Any news on Jose Arredondo? Will he be called back up this year?
Texican
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:11 am

Texican wrote:Any news on Jose Arredondo? Will he be called back up this year?

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that they'd like to call him back up soon. Can't find a link to where I saw this though. He'll definitely be back up by September, and I'm sure the Angels would love to put him back in the 8th inning role, provided he shows he can do the job. IN AAA thus far, his numbers look OK (13BB, 5ER, 20K in 17.2 IP). 13 BB is still way too many, so I wouldn't bet on him....

Regradless, I'm sure he'll be up September 1, if not before then....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mblax10 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:18 am

Yankeesin05 wrote:Thoughts on Sherrill as a holds guy in LA for the rest of the year? Is he just gonna be a lefty out of the pen or the primary set up guy?

I don't think you trade Josh Bell for a LOOGY.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Skins Fanatic » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:40 am

Mike Adams is back as the 8th innning guy for San Diego and looking like a solid source of Holds, ratios and Ks from here on out.
Skins Fanatic
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers