Holds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Holds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Holds

Postby schmidty » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:22 am

pokerplaya wrote:Parnell is the guy. He's been excellent, and if he continues to pitch half as well as he has, he will be the guy all season.

His WHIP scares me. Can a guy really keep a low ERA with a WHIP over 1.5? I haven't seen him play, so I'm just going by the stats. Is he better than the numbers look? I know the K/9 is great. And BABIP must be unusually high. Though if Ricky Nolasco has taught me anything, it's that sometimes a high BABIP doesn't mean the pitcher is unlucky and bound to turn it around. It might just mean he throws too many hittable pitches.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mblax10 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:04 am

schmidty wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Parnell is the guy. He's been excellent, and if he continues to pitch half as well as he has, he will be the guy all season.

His WHIP scares me. Can a guy really keep a low ERA with a WHIP over 1.5? I haven't seen him play, so I'm just going by the stats. Is he better than the numbers look? I know the K/9 is great. And BABIP must be unusually high. Though if Ricky Nolasco has taught me anything, it's that sometimes a high BABIP doesn't mean the pitcher is unlucky and bound to turn it around. It might just mean he throws too many hittable pitches.

Parnell's peripherals are interesting. Quick ERA of 5.86 & LOB% 0f 81% sugget he may be in for some rough times. His .372 BABIP suggest he's been unlucky.

I don't agree with your analysis of Nolasco. He's been the unluckiest pitcher in the league this year.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bcavaiola » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:54 pm

How do u rank these guys for Holds the rest of the year::

Mujica
Bellisario
Coffey
Bard
Perez
Betancourt
Cruz
Shields
Ziegler

* I'm partial to NL West pitchers in general
bcavaiola
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:58 pm

mblax10 wrote:
schmidty wrote:

Parnell's peripherals are interesting. Quick ERA of 5.86 & LOB% 0f 81% sugget he may be in for some rough times. His .372 BABIP suggest he's been unlucky.

I don't agree with your analysis of Nolasco. He's been the unluckiest pitcher in the league this year.

Point taken. The numbers are somewhat concerning. But going strictly on a "stuff" basis, he's a pretty talented pitcher.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby tol1l1yboy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:35 am

Id rate them this way:

Mujica
Coffey
Bellisario
Shields
Cruz
Ziegler
Betancourt
Bard
Perez
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:15 pm

Jim Johnson or Mitch Stetter for the rest of the season?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bcavaiola » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks for the assist on my list.

I'm pretty bullish on Mujica as well- having watched him pitch a few times over the last 2 weeks. Gregerson will get some looks in the 8th as well. The only thing that scares me about Mujica are his past peripherals. Hes not typically a high k/9 guy, but hes seemed to turn the corner this year in SD and sporting a respectable WHIP/ ERA to go with some nice K numbers. Granted the park helps and pitching in frony of Fatty helps covert those Holds.

Im also keen on Bellisario, like Mujica - love the division foes; the park, the defense to help combat BABIP and who he pitches in front of (Brox)... I actually see Bellisario as a better long term play. My only trepadation is that hes a rookie and could hit some speedbumps in the 2nd half.

Again, Im pretty loaded at Middle Reliever with Marmol, Madson, Thornton and Pena - but I want 1 more to fill it out and be able to sub in pending on match-ups.
bcavaiola
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby walkoffblast » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:00 pm

Keep in mind with Mujica that Adams was activated today. Padres setup guy role is pretty crowded now.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Skins Fanatic » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:26 am

What's up with Sean White out of Seattle? He's had a few holds lately, and even picked up a Save when Aardsma was unavailable. Think he's more valuable than Feliciano, who seems to be the 7th inning guy for the Mets behind Parnell?
Skins Fanatic
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:21 pm

scott Eyre has 10 holds in Philly...will he be the 8th inning guy now that madsen is closing? not a hwole lot out of eyre exept for holds...but sometimes thats all you need
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers