Keeper Policy, Need major help please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper Policy, Need major help please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Policy, Need major help please

Postby tribefan08 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:23 pm

12 team H2H league. A good group of guys been playing since early college. We were originally throwing in a few bucks to make it interesting and we just did a redraft each year. Two years ago we implemented a KEEPER SYSTEM and we're throwing in a few more bucks than we use to. And as the post says its NOT WORKING.

Our league has the policy you can keep TWO PLAYERS, but for only ONE YEAR. Then you must either trade them to attain a new keeper, or throw them back in. So I think you might already be able to see the problems in this.... We have guys trading Hanley for AROD just so they can keep the "highest level elite" players. The balance of power of the elite players will just shift around from one owner to the other with the other elite players. Hard for the little man to rise up. Also its annoying knowing I went into last year with Hanley and Braun and had to trade them before the deadline in order to set my keepers up for the next year!

What can we do to fix this?

I was just reading about putting contracts on guys so you can keep them for so many years say 2 or 3 years? Then even when they are traded they keep that contract, it doesn't reset, because that would pretty much put us right back in the same boat we're in?

Our league really sucks right now in the fact that if you don't own Hanley, Arod, or Pujols you're never going to..... No one is going to pull even a 2 or 3 for 1 deal for them knowing its their bargaining chip for their next keepers!

HELP..... any other ideas besides the contracts? I've read about so many different leagues I just need some suggestions.

THANKS!
tribefan08
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Policy, Need major help please

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:14 pm

Put a limit on the # of years a player can be kept, no matter who owns them.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby tribefan08 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:36 pm

So lets say we set a 3 year contract on every player if someone is keeping them. Even if they get dealt they keep their "years left" on their contracts. So if you deal for Hanley and he's got 1 Yr. Left you can keep him the next year but after that he gets kicked back in the draft no matter if he gets dealt or what?

The only way a player gets a fresh 3 year contract is when his old one expires and he's kicked back in the draft?

I think this might be the ticket..... Anyone else have any more suggestions. I could really use the help, either more info on these contracts orrrrr another idea for our league?
tribefan08
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ragoczy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:58 pm

My leagues use 3-year contracts as well. The contract stays with the player if he is traded. If he is released and clears waivers his contract resets. If he is not protected going into the next season he gets a new contract as a result of the draft.

My league also has salaries though, so we have the option to increase the player salary and extend the contract to a 4th or 5th year as well.
We're only immortal for a limited time
Ragoczy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby baizboll » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:14 pm

I'm not sure if you have a draft or auction, but if it's a draft, you can assign a contract length depending on what round the player was drafted. And for ensuing years, each team is allowed to keep a certain number of players from each contract length.

For example rounds 1-6: 2 year contract - can keep one (A players)
Rounds 7-15: 3 year contract - can keep 2 (B players)
Rounds 16-25: 3 year contract - can keep 3 (C players)

You can distinguish the 3 year contracts by the naming convention of the contract, e.g. 3B10 or 3C18 with the round determining how long is left on his contract and how many years he can be kept . The next year those two contracts would become 2B10 and 2C18.
"Baizboll bin bery, bery good to me!" ~ Chico Escuela

baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:16 pm

The other thing we do that helps with turnover, is that players keeper status moves up 3 rounds each year. So if you drafted them in the 10th round this year, you can keep them in the 7th next year.

Means that no one can be kept who was drafted in the first 3 rounds - which means guys like A-rod, Teixeira, Utley, Johan, Rollins, etc are always available in the draft.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby tribefan08 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:23 pm

thats pretty sweet with the round bumping up 3 rounds... can you set it to do that in yahoo, we get the stat tracker premium pack, never tried that.... so then if you got a guy in 2008 in the 10th round you could keep in 2009 as your 7th rounder, and 2010 as your 4th rounder and so on....? so it just skips you in the draft when that slot comes?
tribefan08
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tribefan08 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:41 pm

anyone else????
tribefan08
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:07 pm

We're actually converting a redraft league to a keeper this year and we are putting the keeper policy up for league vote this week. Option #1 would be lifetime keepers who increase in draft round value by three rounds each year they are kept. Essentially the top three rounds of players would not be able to be kept keeping the draft fresh and managers interested. Option #2 would be three year keepers kept at initial draft value with the exception of rounds 1-4. Rounds 5-23 would be bracketed so each manager can keep one player from rounds 5-9, one from 10-14, one from 15-19 and one from 20-23. Free agents would probably be kept in either the 15-19 bracket or 20-23. That is still up for debate if this option is enacted. Either way, we are only going to designate four keepers per team.

As for trades, I've posted this same question elsewhere and yes, the consensus is that contracts should not reset. You don't want teams swapping players only to reset their contracts.

Good luck!
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby briane » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:32 pm

I like the idea of moving up in rounds that you are giving up, so a 4th rounder becomes a 1st rounder.

With the idea of keeping bracketed (1 for Rd. 5-9, 1 from Rd. 10-14, 1 from 15-19, and 1 form 20-23), I would suggest a alight difference:

1st keeper from Rds. 20-23
2nd keeper from Rounds 15-23
3rd keeper from Rounds 10-23
4th keeper from Rounds 5-23.

Therefore, someone who is 4 late keepers (one of which is worth a 5th Rounder) is able to keep them all.
briane
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Commissioner's Corner