Yahoo position eligibility question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo position eligibility question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo position eligibility question

Postby byfrcp » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:26 pm

The Yahoo! Player page doesn't necessarily mean anything towards the fantasy eligibility. Jorge is a Stater, so for "Baseball" (read not fantasy) means, they put that he is a starter.

The beginning Eligibility is based on last seasons games played.

Last year Braun began the year with only 3B. 5 games into the season he was given OF eligibility.

Yahoo! only delegates eligibility for players who have yet to reach an eligibility number in the major leagues.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guaranteed Loser » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:32 pm

The position currently listed for a player in Yahoo absolutely should not be used to determine eligibility for next year. It is NOT accurate.

De La Rosa will be a RP/SP
Ryan Theriot, currently listed as a 2b/SS will only have SS this season, etc...

There, not a single "I believe" or "I doubt". I know this is the case, because this happens every year, and this is alway how Yahoo handles it. They follow the eligibility rules quoted and linked above. I have no idea how they determine what position to put next to the name during the off season, but they always clear it up by the time the season starts.
Thanks to Idahofan for the sweet graphic!
Guaranteed Loser
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:39 pm

It is indeed not a valid assumption that the positions listed on a player's editorial page will correspond to their eligibility in the fantasy game. That is part of where you are getting crossed up. Since fantasy bases positional eligibility on past performance where possible, you might see a player eligible at a position that they really don't play anymore. To take an example from last season, BJ Upton had infield eligibility all season, but if my memory serves his fate as an outfielder was pretty much sealed from the beginning of the year. If he played enough infield to qualify last year, it just means my memory is bad, not that the explanation in general is wrong :-)

The editorial (sports.yahoo.com) pages on the other hand, are just that. More like news. If someone goes there to learn about BJ Upton, it would have been a bit odd to tell people he was an infielder when he really wasn't and hadn't been for some time. Fantasy uses different rules since we're trying to make a fair, predictable game based on a real-life league that doesn't have the courtesy to manage their players with our game in mind ;-)

The sticky part comes when a new player enters the game. I can't say much yet about what happens this year, but I can at least catch people up on how things worked last year. Last year, when we saw a player had entered the game, we would base their positional eligibility purely on observed data: where they played that year, and if they hadn't played that year, then we'd check the previous year. The place this caused a lot of tension was with rookies, where there was no data to observe. The way the game behaved last year in this case was that it would wait to see where they first officially played, and would grant them that eligibility. In a few select cases, based on overwhelming public demand, we forced a player into the game prior to that, and subjectively chose a position for the player. An example would be Max Scherzer who we forced into the game as a relief pitcher based on published reports that he was going to be used as a relief pitcher even though he is likely destined to be a starter eventually.

That is how it worked last year. As I mentioned in another thread, I can say that we've made some improvements to how we manage our player pool this year, but I can't yet detail what those are.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 67)

Postby jnormy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Thanks all! My major piece of learning here is that the positions listed on the current Yahoo player pages mean nothing, and I'll treat them as such. I appreciate the thoughtful, detailed explanations. ;-D
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:45 pm

jnormy wrote:Thanks all! My major piece of learning here is that the positions listed on the current Yahoo player pages mean nothing, and I'll treat them as such. I appreciate the thoughtful, detailed explanations. ;-D

They mean nothing in terms of fantasy :-). They are hopefully an indication of where the player is currently most likely to be found playing.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 67)

Postby jnormy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:55 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:They mean nothing in terms of fantasy :-).

Sorry, that's what I meant! :-B
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers