Yahoo position eligibility question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo position eligibility question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo position eligibility question

Postby jnormy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:17 am

Are the positions currently listed on the Yahoo MLB fantasy "Players" pages the ones they're going into the season with? I'm asking because my 18-team points league is usually asked to submit keepers (determined by previous year's draft round) sometime in late February/early March, and position eligibility could be the deciding factor in some cases in choosing between two evenly matched players. For example, Brandon Morrow is currently listed as "RP"... will that change between now and the start of the season, or is he locked in for at least that position? If he ends up being an effective starter for Seattle, he would be extremely valuable in my points league with RP eligibility. (For the record, I'm keeping him anyway... that's just an example.)

Genie, or anyone else, do you know the answer to this? If these aren't the final eligible positions, is there a cutoff date after which players will be locked into their currently listed positions? Thanks.
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo position eligibility question

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:44 am

Seriously i'm so surprised by the number of people that ask this question. This is some of the easiest information to obtain...

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/baseball/season/status/baseball-09.html

If a player makes 5 starts a position or 10 games played at a position he gains eligibility there...

If a pitcher makes 3 starts he gains SP eligibility if a pitcher makes 5 relief appearances he gains RP eligibility...

As for whether or not the current players page is accurate I dont know. It could still be based on last years info (ie. Braun at 3B). As for Brandon Morrow he will have SP and RP eligibility next year. If there is any player you question just check how often they played whatever position...

Can this please be the last position eligibility thread ever? :-S
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby J35J » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:52 am

Not to mention there is some spreadsheet floating around where the yahoo position eligiblity is already in it....I guess the goof that put that together didn't add the SP/RP eligible guys but all the position players have their eligibilty with them....freakin guy! :-t

SP/RP eligibility will be something I add in next years version.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:54 am

J35J wrote:Not to mention there is some spreadsheet floating around where the yahoo position eligiblity is already in it....I guess the goof that put that together didn't add the SP/RP eligible guys but all the position players have their eligibilty with them....freakin guy! :-t

SP/RP eligibility will be something I add in next years version.

oh I see what you did there. Tricky B-)
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jnormy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:07 am

jake_harv88 wrote:As for whether or not the current players page is accurate I dont know.

So your answer to my question is essentially "I don't know" and you're wondering why I'm asking the question. :-?

I know the eligibility rules, but here's the first sentence in the answer of the very link you provided:

At the beginning of the Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball season, Yahoo! Sports placed all players into positions based in part on information from official rosters, but focusing mainly on past performance.

So that suggests to me that it's not based SOLELY on prior games played at certain positions, but also on some degree of objective decisions on Yahoo's part. So allow me to rephrase then (if that's ok!): is there a drop-dead date when these positions are decided upon, or is that process fluid right up to the start of the MLB season? (And when they say "the beginning of the Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball season," do they mean when league signups commence, or the official MLB opening day?)

Please forgive my horrible transgression of making an inquiry on a message board...
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:12 am

jnormy wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:As for whether or not the current players page is accurate I dont know.

So your answer to my question is essentially "I don't know" and you're wondering why I'm asking the question. :-?

I know the eligibility rules, but here's the first sentence in the answer of the very link you provided:

At the beginning of the Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball season, Yahoo! Sports placed all players into positions based in part on information from official rosters, but focusing [b]mainly on past performance. [/b]

So that suggests to me that it's not based SOLELY on prior games played at certain positions, but also on some degree of objective decisions on Yahoo's part. So allow me to rephrase then (if that's ok!): is there a drop-dead date when these positions are decided upon, or is that process fluid right up to the start of the MLB season? (And when they say "the beginning of the Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball season," do they mean when league signups commence, or the official MLB opening day?)

Please forgive my horrible transgression of making an inquiry on a message board...

My answer to your question was if there is a player you are concerned about then take the initiative and check it out yourself...

As for the bolded part I believe this only applies to players that are added to the system that didn't play last year. Once a player is added to the system at that position he'll stay there until he plays games at a different position. I doubt yahoo has finished updating its player pool for next year...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jnormy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:22 am

jake_harv88 wrote:As for the bolded part I believe this only applies to players that are added to the system that didn't play last year. Once a player is added to the system at that position he'll stay there until he plays games at a different position. I doubt yahoo has finished updating its player pool for next year...

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I feel compelled to add that since you're still using phrases like "I believe" and "I doubt" in your reply, maybe it isn't such a crazy question after all! }:-)
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:31 am

jake_harv88 wrote:As for the bolded part I believe this only applies to players that are added to the system that didn't play last year. Once a player is added to the system at that position he'll stay there until he plays games at a different position. I doubt yahoo has finished updating its player pool for next year...

I believe :-) that this is not accurate - Yahoo has in the past taken the liberty of giving guys who have already been in the system new position eligibility based on where they were expected to play in upcoming seasons. Certainly where a guy has played in past years is the most predominant factor, but not the only one.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:07 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:

I believe :-) that this is not accurate - Yahoo has in the past taken the liberty of giving guys who have already been in the system new position eligibility based on where they were expected to play in upcoming seasons. Certainly where a guy has played in past years is the most predominant factor, but not the only one.

I'd like to see an example of that....
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jnormy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:34 pm

Here's an example where there might be some ambiguity, taking Jorge De la Rosa as the example:

I did indeed "take the initiative" and saw that his 2008 stats show 28 G, and 23 GS. That leaves 5 games left over as a RP. So, here's the pitcher eligibility quote from Yahoo:

If a pitcher makes 3 starts he gains SP eligibility if a pitcher makes 5 relief appearances he gains RP eligibility...

Last year he was listed as SP/RP, but when I recently checked the Yahoo player pages, they now only list him as SP. So why did that change from the end of the '08 season to now if he pitched the required 5 games at RP to retain that eligibility? So much for initiative.

Based on the De la Rosa example, it looks like those eligibility requirements only apply to the season in progress, and don't necessarily carry over to the next season. So I'm back to wondering if the positions listed on the current Yahoo Player pages are reliable for keeper planning, and if not, is there a point where they will be? :-S
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers