2K MLB Front Office Video Game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

2K MLB Front Office Video Game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2K MLB Front Office Video Game

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:40 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:Things like arbitration eligible players being released by teams is something that will keep me from buying this game. The way the Mets guy just signed all of those very talented released players is way too easy.

this. The only way I was going to buy this game was if it was done to perfection, but there's too many little things that seem to be messed up.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby byfrcp » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:39 pm

I couldn't help myself, just picked it up. Popping it in my 360 now, I'll write back in a bit.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Prospect One » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:50 pm

BRO! I have been on the 2K forums for the past two days and there seem to be some really bad talk about the game but some say it's really indepth. I preordered mine and it won't get to me for another couple days since I am overseas but please give me some insight as you must be a baseball junkie if your on this site. Lates
Prospect One
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wake » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:04 pm

It seems like it would be a fun game if you play exclusively online against other human GMs. However, I think there would be too many flaws or loopholes to exploit if you just played against computer GMs.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby byfrcp » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:50 pm

Meh.

I decided to go with Texas figuring if I can sign a few good pitchers, we can be a really good team with the offense we have. Unfortunatley the only one I could afford was Ben Sheets who signed for 6 years at $12mil per. I got t a decent starter through the Rule 5 draft and figured with Sheets, Millwood, Padilla and 2 others we could survive because of the great offense (minus Blalock who wanted to test free agency). Well it didn't work out that way at all through the first couple weeks I have one of the worst offenses and Ben Sheets is giving up gopher balls like crazy.

Then I'm looking at the free agents in May, and Papelbon is sitting there, ranked 80, the highest rank in the game and he only wants $5mil per?! How did he even get on the free agents list? And why would he sign a 4 year deal at $5mil per? Kind of confusing, however my team is still terrible regardless.

It's kind of hard to get into just facing the CPU GM's, but it looks like these leagues could be fun especially if all 30 teams are full and active, that seems like it could be a blast fighting with real humans to sign the free agents and trying to make legit trades and such.

So the solo game is pretty meh, but the jury is still out on how cool the Online Leagues could end up being.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Prospect One » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:30 pm

How is the draft and minor league part of the game. Are the trades pretty bad on the AI level?
Prospect One
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby byfrcp » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:35 pm

I decided to start over with my own team (Red Sox) and I'm already having a better time. I offered arbitration to most of my guys who rejected it. I was offered a good trade for Jeff Bailey and accepted, and I traded Coco Crisp and Van Every for Taylor Teagarden (wish that would have happened in real life). And I got Brad Penny through free agency.

The AI trades are strange but for the most part you just reject them and move on. Hard to say about the draft, it's gonna take time obviously to figure out who's going to be good or not. It doesn't do much for me though because all you have to go by is the numbers that they tell me they could become.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CadensDad » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:48 pm

I think I'd rather wait till the show 09 comes out

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 27)

Postby byfrcp » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:55 pm

Baseball games have sucked since MVP hasn't been allowed to make games. The 2K series is unplayable to me because you hit so many homers and have so many over the wall catches it's just incredibly boring.

If you get this game I would certainly recommend using your team, because with Texas I didn't really know any of the minor league players, but with the Sox I wanted to protect Lars Anderson from the Rule 5 draft and was able to do so, man he's gonna be such a stud for me soon!
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Prospect One » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:07 pm

I am just waiting for my copy to come in the mail. What about allocatted funds for overseas players, is it in depth? What console do you have it on? 2k is suppose to have 3 patches coming out to update the rosters in FEB,Mar, and on opening day which should help out. I am sure I will have more questions, thanks for the updates.
Prospect One
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games