Rate the Beckhams - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Rate the Beckhams

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate the Beckhams

Postby Freebird27 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:12 pm

Everywhere I read Tim is ranked higher than Gordon. I was under the impression that Tim was a better glove, while Gordon had the better power potential. With Gordon having college play under his belt would it be unreasonable to rate him higher than Tim? I also think that Gordon has a more clear path in Chitown rather than the stacked Tampa system. Thoughts?
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the Beckhams

Postby stevethumb » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:23 pm

Beckhams ?

#1----Victoria

#2--gordon
#3--tim

#4--David
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:41 pm

stevethumb wrote:Beckhams ?

#1----Victoria

#2--gordon
#3--tim

#4--David

Exactly what I was thinking :-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:52 pm

Tim Beckham is a long term potential guy. He is a five tool player with power potential of 20-25 HR and plus speed which should amount to 40+ SB. I wouldn't worry about how talented TB is because when he is ready (probably 3-4 years) TB will find a place for him. Gordon is a nice player with better power numbers but not great. He has ok speed and an ok arm with above average range. He could out do what experts project him as but his ceiling isn't as high as Tim although he is closer. Most times they don't rank a player by how close he is to the majors as much as how good they are. That is why Tim is usually ranked higher than Gordon.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby kab21 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:20 am

Other than being drafted in '08, playing MI and having the same last name they have almost nothing in common.

Tim has top 25 potential but he might never make it to the MLB as a starter.

Gordon is likely be a useful starter, but not a great fantasy player. Possibly a good fantasy player, but not great.

I'm drafting Tim ahead of Gordon, but would be a little hesitant on picking him since he would be in my farm system for 4 yrs or so.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby Prospect One » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:22 am

Gordon will be in the majors faster than Tim so on a fantasy side you have to pack Tim in the minors for the long haul. Gordon should be up in about a year or so and should be surrounded by a good lineup while playing in a bandbox so Gordon should have impact pretty soon. ;-D
Prospect One
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hybrid » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:21 am

I personally would take Gordon over Tim, though he doesn't have the same "potential". There is a good chance Gordon will move over to 2B as Alexei has the abilty to play SS, which I think helps his value a bit. Tim as been mentioned is about as far away as you can be with a prospect, not to mention he didn't do much of anything in his SS stint last season. Personally I'm not big on him reaching his potential or showing anything more than glove/speed. IMO needs a lot of work on his swing and doesn't show much right now in the range of pop. Gordon will be up in a year or two max, will play in a good ball park, and is a safer bet while still having nice potential himself.

As a Rays fan I'm obviously not bias and really wasn't to big on the Tim pick, so that's my two cents.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thomasps3 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:50 am

I am really having a hard time with the Tim Beckham school of thought that says he'll be a 40+ SB guy. All reports I've read indicate he has average speed, and as he matures, it will likely translate into even less speed, although he won't be a station to station guy at any point in his career. His best tool is definitely his bat, with strong wrists nad above average bat speed. Furthermore, short season debuts are almost always not a true reflection of a players ability, as he makes the adjustment from metal to wood bats in Beckham's case, and faces professional pitching for the first time, all while we try to measure what his stats mean within a very, very small sample size.

As for who I would take, if you need help sooner rather than later, grab Gordon. He'll probably be up once he has a hot streak in AA, and with less than stellar placeholders (Getz, Nix, et al) at 2b in Chicago, he could easily handle the transfer over to the bag and provide some counting stats in 2009.

Hope this helps!
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby J35J » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:30 am

hybrid wrote:I personally would take Gordon over Tim, though he doesn't have the same "potential". There is a good chance Gordon will move over to 2B as Alexei has the abilty to play SS, which I think helps his value a bit. Tim as been mentioned is about as far away as you can be with a prospect, not to mention he didn't do much of anything in his SS stint last season. Personally I'm not big on him reaching his potential or showing anything more than glove/speed. IMO needs a lot of work on his swing and doesn't show much right now in the range of pop. Gordon will be up in a year or two max, will play in a good ball park, and is a safer bet while still having nice potential himself.

As a Rays fan I'm obviously not bias and really wasn't to big on the Tim pick, so that's my two cents.

I like to wait until I see a post I agree with so I can just say....I agree! :-B
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby kellythemick » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:47 am

J35J wrote:
hybrid wrote:I personally would take Gordon over Tim, though he doesn't have the same "potential". There is a good chance Gordon will move over to 2B as Alexei has the abilty to play SS, which I think helps his value a bit. Tim as been mentioned is about as far away as you can be with a prospect, not to mention he didn't do much of anything in his SS stint last season. Personally I'm not big on him reaching his potential or showing anything more than glove/speed. IMO needs a lot of work on his swing and doesn't show much right now in the range of pop. Gordon will be up in a year or two max, will play in a good ball park, and is a safer bet while still having nice potential himself.

I like to wait until I see a post I agree with so I can just say....I agree! :-B

Ditto. :-b
If it's obvious it's probably true.
kellythemick
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 22)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball