Minor League Player Definition - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Minor League Player Definition

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minor League Player Definition

Postby hbomber » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:18 pm

I am in anew dynasty league that is having a minor league draft. A war has broken out as they never put a definition of what constitutes a minor league player in the rules. Some owners are arguing that since David Price pitched last year and will be rostered (most likely) to start the season he should not be eligible.

Also you have a guy like Clay Buckholtz who pitched 76 innings but ended the year in the minors.

Can someone tell me what the traditional fantasy league rule is for minor league qualitication.

Thanks
hbomber
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Minor League Player Definition

Postby ayebatter » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:30 pm

Career
150 MLB at bats
50 MLB innings pitched
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:45 pm

ayebatter wrote:Career
150 MLB at bats
50 MLB innings pitched

Agreed, but this is a league by league situation. Find something that works for everyone involved.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Matthias » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:00 pm

We do something that solves some problems, but creates others. We do an auction draft where you fill 3 minor-league slots.

Our definition of a minor-leaguer is:
1) Someone who still qualifies for the MLB rookie of the year (less than 130 ABs, 50 IPs, and 45 days on the active roster); and
2) Does not start this year on the 25-man roster of a major-league team.

This causes some complications and guesswork. Because if a player is drafted as a minor-leaguer (and the draft is obviously held before the season starts) but then is placed on the 25-man day 1 of the season, the fantasy owner will have to drop someone off of their regular roster and turn their "minor-leaguer" into a regular player (or drop the minor-leaguer and make them a FA). This works for us because we do it via auction and all in one draft. I don't know how you could tinker it if you were holding a snake draft with a separate minor-league draft other than maybe they're just forced to drop their minor-leaguer (say, David Price) and make him available to everyone else via waivers.

As I said, it fixed the problem of calling someone like David Price a minor-leaguer, when noone might think of him that way, but it does cause other complications. You're not going to find something that's perfect.... but if you do, tell me. I'm all ears.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Eagle Baseball » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:36 pm

I do not have a rule or play in a Dynasty but be eligible for Rookie of the Year seems like a fair place to start. So whatever MLB uses for that I would go with.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:25 am

In my dynasty league we made it real simple. If he has played in a major league game he is no longer eligible for our minor league draft. Honestly though, players like David Price should have been picked in last years minor league draft so he should already been on someone's minor league roster.

EDIT: Nevermind now I see it's a new league.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hbomber » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:36 am

Thanks for the info
hbomber
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:19 pm

In our league, for a player to be drafted to a team's minor league roster, they cannot have played in one game at the major league level.

Once they are on your minor league roster, they can stay there as long as they have not surpassed 130 AB or 50 IP.

The gray area is for relief pitchers like Chris Perez who technically doesn't qualify as a rookie because he was on a major league roster for more than 45 days, but most prospect ranking sites don't seem to care.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby nettles3Ball-star » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:15 pm

We go with if at or under 130AB/50IP the player may be signed as a minor.
nettles3Ball-star
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby RDD15 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:48 am

Since you didn't define it ahead of time, I think you have to go with the letter of what you are doing. A Minor League draft is what you are having, so only guys that are currently considered minor leaguers should be draftable. Basically this is any guy not listed on his team's active roster, and not considered a major league free agent.

Go to mlb.com and select a team. From the team page, you can view their active roster. If you go here http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/hot_stove/y ... =Last_Name you can see a list of free agents. Anyone noted as a "Minor league free agent" is draftable. Anyone else is not.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner