Where will they end up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where will they end up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where will they end up?

Postby TheGhost76777 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:14 pm

Still a lot of good FA's on the market, where do you think they will end up?

1. Manny Ramirez - Atlanta Braves - 3 years/$63 million. They said they would get Peavy, Furcal & Burnett. They didn't get any of them. They let Smoltz go. GM needs to do something to save his job.
2. Derek Lowe - Houston Astros - 4 years/$44 million. They will try and compete and the market on Lowe is getting thin.
3. Adam Dunn - Washington Nationals - 4 years/$37 million. They missed out on Teixeria and others, they need a franchise face for their new stadium.
4. Oliver Perez - New York Mets - 3 years/$27 million. Skip on Lowe and re-sign Perez.
5. Orlando Hudson - New York Mets - 4 years/$36 million. Luis Castillo has ran his course and they will go after him hard I think.
6. Bobby Abreu - Florida Marlins - 2 years/$16 million. Would be a very good fit for a team needing a corner OF.
7. Juan Cruz - Detroit Tigers - 2 years/$10 million. Need all the arms they can get, could close for them.
8. Brandon Lyon - Texas Rangers - 2 years/$7.5 million. Could close for them.
9. Orlando Cabrera - Oakland A's - 2 years/$13 million. Bobby Crosby has not hit over .233 in 3 years. Ouch.
10. Ben Sheets - Texas Rangers - 3 years/$33 million. Perfect fit here.
11. Randy Wolf - Atlanta Braves - 2 years/$11 million. Not Peavy, but its something.
12. Andy Pettitte - Houston Astros - 1 year/$10 million. Wants to stick it to the Yanks.
13. Jim Edmonds - Colorado Rockies - 1 year/$3.5 million. Rockies need another OF and got all of 4 home runs from the CF position in 2008.
14. Joe Crede - Minnesota Twins - 2 years/$13.2 million. Would fill a big gap.
15. Gabe Kapler - Milwaukee Brewers - 1 year/$1 million. Solid year, will re-sign.
16. Jon Garland - Baltimore Orioles - 2 years/$11 million. Need all the arms they can get.
17. Ken Griffey Jr. - Seattle Mariners - 1 year/$3.5 million. Griffey comes back to end his career in Seattle.
18. Pedro Martinez - Florida Marlins - 1 year/$4.5 million. Looking for a playoff birth Martinez bosts Florida's rotation.
19. Ivan Rodriguez - Baltimore Orioles - 1 year/$2 million. Placeholder for Wieters.
20. Garret Anderson - Tampa Bay Rays - 1 year/$2.5 million. Comes to a contending club as a 4th OF/DH. Still will get 300+ ABs.
TheGhost76777
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where will they end up?

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:21 pm

Some interesting choices. I don't think there is any way that Manny signs in Atlanta, I don't think Cox would allow that. I don't think there is any way that Dunn gets 4 years when Abreu can't get 3 and Burrel got 2. I don't think the Mets would sign Hudson unless they find someone to take Castillo. I like O-Cab going to Oakland. Why would Pettitte sign with the Astros for only $10M? I could see him signing there but it would take at least $14M, I believe. The Rockies have Fowler, Gonzalez, Posednik, and Hawpe, plus Stewart could be moved to LF. I don't think they'd sign Edmonds. The O's are really close with Zaun, so I don't think they'll be in on Pudge. A lot of your other choices have somewhat of a chance of happening.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:45 pm

eftda wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:Some interesting choices. I don't think there is any way that Manny signs in Atlanta, I don't think Cox would allow that. I don't think there is any way that Dunn gets 4 years when Abreu can't get 3 and Burrel got 2. I don't think the Mets would sign Hudson unless they find someone to take Castillo. I like O-Cab going to Oakland. Why would Pettitte sign with the Astros for only $10M? I could see him signing there but it would take at least $14M, I believe. The Rockies have Fowler, Gonzalez, Posednik, and Hawpe, plus Stewart could be moved to LF. I don't think they'd sign Edmonds. The O's are really close with Zaun, so I don't think they'll be in on Pudge. A lot of your other choices have somewhat of a chance of happening.

It is my understanding that Pettitte isn't in it for the money. I think he'll pitch if and where he wants to pitch.

Well the Yankees offered him $10M and he didn't accept it, and he has said he wanted to pitch for the Yankees. So it is illogical for him to accept the same amount of money he turned down. He might have said it isn't about the money, but it is almost always about the money.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:11 pm

eftda wrote:
Baseball Reference wrote:Andy Pettitte Salary
2002 New York Yankees $9,500,000
2003 New York Yankees $11,500,000
2004 Houston Astros $5,500,000
2005 Houston Astros $8,500,000
2006 Houston Astros $16,428,416
2007 New York Yankees $16,000,000
2008 New York Yankees $16,000,000

Took a pay cut going to the Astros and took another (although extremely minor) pay cut going back to New York. I personally believe he'll pitch in HOU or NY.

That contract he signed with Houston was just backloaded, that is why it looks like he took such a cut. He did take take about $7M less over 3 years to sign with Houston then, he signed 3yr/$32M according to cot's and the Yankees had reportedly offered him him $39M. The problem then I believe was that they never tried to negotiate with him during the 15 day re-signing only period because they were too busy trying to trade for Vazquez and signing Sheffield. That is where he felt disrespected I believe. The Yankees have made it clear the entire this off-season that they intended to re-sign him. With his decline in performance and how he signed his contract last year before the Mitchell report came out without alerting the Yankees, he is not worth much more than $10M. Peter Abraham believes it is about the money as well even though Pettitte claims it is respect.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2009/01/08/t ... -pettitte/
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Another Blown Save » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:12 pm

1. Manny Ramirez - Dodgers
2. Derek Lowe - Braves
3. Adam Dunn - Nationals
4. Oliver Perez - Mets
5. Orlando Hudson - Nationals
6. Bobby Abreu - Reds
7. Juan Cruz - Angels
8. Brandon Lyon - Cardinals
9. Orlando Cabrera - Athletics
10. Ben Sheets - Rangers
11. Randy Wolf - Nationals
12. Andy Pettitte - Astros
13. Jim Edmonds - White Sox
14. Joe Crede - Giants
15. Gabe Kapler - Phillies
16. Jon Garland - Dodgers
17. Ken Griffey Jr. - Braves
18. Pedro Martinez - Mets
19. Ivan Rodriguez - Marlins
20. Garret Anderson - Mariners
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:22 pm

1. Manny Ramirez - Dodgers
2. Derek Lowe - Braves
3. Adam Dunn - Nationals
4. Oliver Perez - Mets
5. Orlando Hudson - Giants
6. Bobby Abreu - Mets
7. Juan Cruz - Detroit
8. Brandon Lyon - Cardinals
9. Orlando Cabrera - Athletics
10. Ben Sheets - Rangers
11. Randy Wolf - Nationals
12. Andy Pettitte - Yankees
13. Jim Edmonds - White Sox
14. Joe Crede - Giants
15. Gabe Kapler - D-backs
16. Jon Garland - Baltimore
17. Ken Griffey Jr. - Seattle
18. Pedro Martinez - Mets
19. Ivan Rodriguez - Marlins
20. Garret Anderson - Baltimore
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:32 pm

there's already a thread for this :-?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Old_Style » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:45 pm

1. Manny Ramirez - Yankees
2. Derek Lowe - Yankees
3. Adam Dunn - Yankees
4. Oliver Perez - Yankees
5. Orlando Hudson - Yankees
6. Bobby Abreu - Yankees
7. Juan Cruz - Yankees
8. Brandon Lyon - Yankees
9. Orlando Cabrera - Yankees
10. Ben Sheets - Yankees
11. Randy Wolf - Yankees
12. Andy Pettitte - Yankees
13. Jim Edmonds - Yankees
14. Joe Crede - Yankees
15. Gabe Kapler - Yankees
16. Jon Garland -Yankees
17. Ken Griffey Jr. - Yankees
18. Pedro Martinez - Yankees
19. Ivan Rodriguez - Yankees
20. Garret Anderson - Yankees

:-?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers