Now that 2009 is here...lets see some Power Rankings! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Now that 2009 is here...lets see some Power Rankings!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Now that 2009 is here...lets see some Power Rankings!

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:39 pm

The G.O.A.T. wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:
The G.O.A.T. wrote:That you have the Padres lineup below the Giants tells me all I need to know.

You mean the same Giants that outscored them last year?

Yes because taking a straight runs scored is the best method to seeing which offense is better. Not like there would be any factors involved in that like playing in Petco or anything. Plus when you look at the lineups name me a Giants hitter who even holds a candle to Brian Giles or Adrian Gonzalez. Just look at the team OPS+ for each. 98 for the Padres and 88 for the Giants.

The Giants aren't exactly playing in a hitter's paradise either. I agree that the Padres have a better offense, but it's not as if they're leaps and bounds better than the Giants like you made it sound. It's not like he ranked them over the Red Sox or Yankees.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:02 pm

Did you not see the adjusted OPS+ I posted? The difference was 10. That is a fairly significant difference and it takes into account the Giants playing in Telecom of the week park.
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:47 pm

The G.O.A.T. wrote:Did you not see the adjusted OPS+ I posted? The difference was 10. That is a fairly significant difference and it takes into account the Giants playing in Telecom of the week park.

By OPS+ San Diego comes out at 20th best offense and Giants are 28th. My first post was just in jest because it was ironic to me that they outscored them. Yes I believe San Diego has a significantly better offense and yes I know what OPS+ is. It's just that you made it sound like that the Giants being ranked ahead of San Diego was the straw that broke the camel's back. There are plenty of flaws with the ranking system and I'm sure you could make a better power ranking system, it's just funny to me that disrespecting the vaunted San Diego offense has ruffled your feathers so.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:07 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
The G.O.A.T. wrote:Did you not see the adjusted OPS+ I posted? The difference was 10. That is a fairly significant difference and it takes into account the Giants playing in Telecom of the week park.

By OPS+ San Diego comes out at 20th best offense and Giants are 28th. My first post was just in jest because it was ironic to me that they outscored them. Yes I believe San Diego has a significantly better offense and yes I know what OPS+ is. It's just that you made it sound like that the Giants being ranked ahead of San Diego was the straw that broke the camel's back. There are plenty of flaws with the ranking system and I'm sure you could make a better power ranking system, it's just funny to me that disrespecting the vaunted San Diego offense has ruffled your feathers so.

Yeah I am really up in arms. It's just funny to me how people can attempt to do rankings without even fully understanding what they are ranking. The only reason I picked up on San Diego is because he had them as the last ranked offense in his metrics. Otherwise I wouldn't have even looked twice.
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:58 pm

Here is my power rankings...

1. Rays

2-32. Everyone else.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:20 am

TheGhost76777 wrote:14 Oakland A's - 7.6

Disagree. 7 - 10 for me. Adding Giambi and Holiday transforms this team into something else.

slegna need to be lower also.

I'm not sure of the Detroit clubhouse situation (besides having world renowned d-bag Sheffield) but shouldn't the Yankees have the lowest chemistry score with all these strangers meeting in 2009? Plus adding "alleged" cancer Burnett and with A-Rod preoccupied with shagging that bloke?

My play-offs:

AL:
Yankees (unless there is a catastrophic disaster)
Cleveland/Minnesota (can't decide)
OAKLAND
Boston and their 345698476343486793583 starting pitchers

NL:
Who cares

I mean
Philly
Arizona
Cannon fodder
Cannon fodder

;-D
AussieDodger