'09 Outlook? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

'09 Outlook?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

'09 Outlook?

Postby Wladimer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:02 am

Last year my team finished 14-10 (H2H Pts.), 5th of 12 overall, and just missed the playoffs. I've basically stood pat this offseason and I think I'm in rather good shape, but I'll always be biased toward my own team so I'd like to see what others think. Here is my roster headed into next year as of today:

C: Jeff Clement
1B: Ryan Howard
2B: Chase Utley
3B: Adrian Beltre
SS: Jimmy Rollins
OF: Matt Kemp
OF: Shane Victorino
OF: Andre Ethier
UT: Denard Span

BN: Cameron Maybin
BN: Adam Jones
BN: Alex Gordon
BN: Dexter Fowler (Drafted this offseason)

P: Joakim Soria
P: Bobby Jenks
P: Matt Lindstrom (Drafted this offseason)
P: Tim Lincecum
P: Cole Hamels
P: Chris Young

BN: Felix Hernandez
BN: Aaron Harang
BN: Max Scherzer
BN: Brandon Morrow
BN: Ubaldo Jimenez
BN: David Price

We expanded the rosters by 3 bench spots this offseason, and I still have one more selection left. We also have a maximum of 12 Pitcher starts per week. In general, pitchers outscored hitters by a pretty healthy margin. The scoring has been tweaked a little to bring them closer but Pitchers should still score a bit more than Hitters. To give you an idea how it went last year, Lincecum scored 873, Hamels scored 743.5, Utley scored 658.6, and Howard scored 650.5.

A few other points, when the season starts I intend to just put Utley on the DL and pick up the best available 2B. I am also very aware I have a ton of OF'ers, but in large I have kept them as trade value moreso than to score me points, which was my motivation to draft Fowler.

Thank You for taking a look.
Wladimer
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: '09 Outlook?

Postby MikeeDee » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:14 am

I like the team a lot. I'd probably try to make a deal for a C/2B though. Probably with Ethier. I like Victorino and Kemp a lot. Span's trade value is not high enough I think and the other kids are nowhere near their peak value.
He once hit a ball between my legs so hard that my center-fielder caught it on the fly backing up against the wall.

If Satch (Paige) and I were pitching on the same team, we would clinch the pennant by July fourth and go fishing until World Series time.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby chargerss24 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:29 am

Nice team! I will disagree with the above poster about trading for a C/2B. I like Clement a lot, it's already been said he will find regular at bats with the Mariners, spliting time between C/1B/DH. Utley will be fine, but do expect a cooler season from him as he gets back to normal. I would look to make a trade to improve 3B. I'm not all that crazy about Beltre.

Please help?
viewtopic.php?t=365727
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:44 pm

I agree with above as I like your team quite a bit. You have some young depth where you should be able to make a move for a 3 bagger. I would look for some power in that spot, and then ride out the season for a nice playoff spot! ;-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Wladimer » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:37 pm

Finished the roster expansion draft and took RP, Heath Bell, though I doubt that makes too significant an impact on my team.

Assuming Bell and Lindstrom both hold on to their presumptive Closer roles through Spring Training I'll have 4 Closers, and god forbid a fifth if the Mariners do the wrong thing and send Morrow out to close.

With my last pick I also considered taking either Kurt Suzuki, Felipe Lopez, Hong-chih Kuo, or Andrew Miller.
Wladimer
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JimHorwege » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:56 pm

i think you have a very solid team and should do pretty well this season (and seasons to come) i agree that you should try to make a move for a 3b. Possibly try to trade for Zimmerman/SP using Beltre, Victorino (you have plenty of steals and OF), Young. im not very high on Young on the Padres as they seem to be going through a rebuilding phase. Other then that, great team...
JimHorwege
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team