Saito now with the Sox - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Saito now with the Sox

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Saito now with the Sox

Postby kemper5 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:53 pm

Just saw the Sox inked Saito also..

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox have agreed to terms with Takashi Saito on a one-year contract with a team option for 2010.

According to Rosenthal, the deal includes around $2 million in guaranteed money with an additional $5 million or so in potential incentives. Elbow problems make the 39-year-old Saito a question mark, but when healthy he's been one of the most dominant relievers in baseball over the past three seasons, saving 81 games with a 1.95 ERA and 245/52 K/BB ratio in 189 2/3 innings. Much like the John Smoltz and Rocco Baldelli signings, Saito represents a low-risk, high-upside gamble for Boston

Beckett
Dice-K
Lester
Smoltz
Penny
Wakes
Buchholz
Okajima
Delcarmen
Saito
Paps

Downright dangerous and better than the Yanks pitching staff ;-D ;-D ;-D
Last edited by kemper5 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1726
Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Saito now with the Sox

Postby bigken117 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:57 pm

I likey. The Sox pen is shaping up nicely ;-D
Image

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12877
(Past Year: 251)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

Re: Saito now with the Sox

Postby Yoda » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:05 pm

So Sox sign another high injury risk pitcher. How many have they signed in the past that panned out?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Saito now with the Sox

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:06 pm

kemper5 wrote:Just saw the Sox inked Saito also..

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox have agreed to terms with Takashi Saito on a one-year contract with a team option for 2010.

According to Rosenthal, the deal includes around $2 million in guaranteed money with an additional $5 million or so in potential incentives. Elbow problems make the 39-year-old Saito a question mark, but when healthy he's been one of the most dominant relievers in baseball over the past three seasons, saving 81 games with a 1.95 ERA and 245/52 K/BB ratio in 189 2/3 innings. Much like the John Smoltz and Rocco Baldelli signings, Saito represents a low-risk, high-upside gamble for Boston

Beckett
Dice-K
Lester
Smoltz
Penny
Wakes
Buchholz
Okajima
Delcarmen
Saito
Paps

Downright dangerous and better than the Yanks pitching staff ;-D ;-D ;-D

You forgot Masterson and Ramirez in the pen and Bowden as another possible rotation guy - its even better than you thought! :-)
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2148
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park, RF Roof Deck

Re: Saito now with the Sox

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Yoda wrote:So Sox sign another high injury risk pitcher. How many have they signed in the past that panned out?

That's the beauty - when you're signing these guys only for depth, there's no risk whatsoever - only tons of upside.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2148
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park, RF Roof Deck

Re: Saito now with the Sox

Postby stevethumb » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:10 pm

you left justin masterson and ramirez off your list..
only problem w/that staff is, at any given time, you could have 4 of them on the DL (smoltz, saito, penny, beckett) and a 43 yo in wakefield..they should be top shelf but could be ordinary too
Image
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 4041
Joined: 2 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: cloud 9

Re: Saito now with the Sox

Postby kemper5 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:11 pm

You know what is great, you can sign all these great fill ins like Smoltz, Saito, Penny & Baldelli for a fraction of what the Yanks are dishing out on a yearly basis.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1726
Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Saito now with the Sox

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:17 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
Yoda wrote:So Sox sign another high injury risk pitcher. How many have they signed in the past that panned out?

That's the beauty - when you're signing these guys only for depth, there's no risk whatsoever - only tons of upside.


I'd have to agree. The Sox are showing why they are arguably baseball's most savvy organization.

Seriously, if this doesn't work out, what's the worst that could happen? Load the contract with incentives and force the player to earn the majority of the contract. Combine that with a winning tradition and it's easy to see why a lot of these free agents would sign with Boston. I can say this and I hate Boston.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Saito now with the Sox

Postby nsulham » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:23 pm

Also like the move. The pitching depth on this team could be astounding.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4883
Joined: 26 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlottesville

Re: Saito now with the Sox

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:11 pm

I think this is a very good signing by the Sox. They are quietly making excellent moves this off-season without breaking the bank.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24800
(Past Year: 411)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, ayebatter, Pogotheostrich and 21 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Jul. 11
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Chi Cubs
(4:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
LA Angels at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Boston at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
St. Louis at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Oakland at Seattle
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact