Salary Cap discussion (merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Salary Cap discussion (merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Salary Cap discussion (merged)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:59 am

kab21 wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Hey, someone wanna mention the Blazers, Magic, Hornets etc? :-S Small market teams that are competing for playoff spots. Everyone cites the NFL when arguing against a salary cap, but what of the NBA? The Bulls and Knicks have both sucked for several years while their MLB counterparts spend about $340 million to remain at the top of the league.

Yes, a lot of that is the drafting system as well, and the MLB doesn't go far enough in enacting a drafting system so that the worst teams get the best players.

The NBA salary cap system is much closer to the current MLB system than the NFL. It's a soft cap with a luxury tax on teams that exceed it (sound familiar). Knicks are 30M over, Lakers are 23M over, Mavericks are 35M over, etc... The only restriction that I know of is that you can't sign other teams FA's if you're over the cap, but there are ways around that (mid-level exception and sign and trades). It is also the absolutely most ridiculous trade system that has ever been created. Don't even try to defend the nonsense of matching salaries for trades. It's a good idea on paper until it is attempted to be used in real life. Let's trade player X for player Y and Z but in order for it to get approved we'll include 6 overpaid terrible players so the contracts are close.

That's quite a significant difference. It addresses my biggest problem within the topic: being able to build a winning team solely on the merit of being rich.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:05 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:That's quite a significant difference. It addresses my biggest problem within the topic: being able to build a winning team solely on the merit of being rich.

Considering that sign and trades are fairly common it's not much difference than trading a veteran the year before their contract expires. The NBA most definitely does not have a better system imo.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:09 pm

Besides, what's lost in this equation is that EVERY baseball owner is rich. The only thing that really stops them from being competitive on payroll and on the field is their desire to be multi-billionaires, rather than just billionaires. Their resources are not simply dictated by the market they have.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers