Salary Cap discussion (merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Salary Cap discussion (merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Salary Cap discussion (merged)

Postby noseeum » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:09 pm

noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Be careful what you wish for... [salary cap]

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:33 pm

Good read.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby San D » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:35 pm

I agree a cap isn't the answer. The Players Union would require restrictions for a cap to go through like the article said and the business plans of small market teams would become flawed. If the restrictions didn't happen, small market teams wouldn't change their spending and big market teams would have to spend less. So, that wouldn't work either.

What really needs to be done is a salary system needs to be applied to the draft so the worst teams actually draft the best players. This is what owners should really be pushing for to try and equalize the playing field a bit.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby neoforce » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:02 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Good read.

+1

That article should be required reading for the endless debates about how the Yankees are ruining baseball.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 3)

Postby J35J » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:48 pm

The Yankees aren't ruining baseball....baseball is ruining baseball. Just ignore who says otherwise.

Whatever they want to do to get all payrolls within about 50mil of each other is the best system they can put in place....however they want to go about doing it I don't care, but there has to be some equality.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:02 pm

J35J wrote:The Yankees aren't ruining baseball....baseball is ruining baseball. Just ignore who says otherwise.

Whatever they want to do to get all payrolls within about 50mil of each other is the best system they can put in place....however they want to go about doing it I don't care, but there has to be some equality.

You'd also have to ignore the facts, but let's not let something like that get in the way. Baseball just completed a period in which its revenue, attendance, and degree of competition reached their highest levels ever, and the sport has had an incredible influx of young talent rarely matched in its history attracted by rapid salary growth for top end players. Yeah, that's a bad thing.

BP's got it right. And, if you are a baseball fan, You better to care about how they do it, because if they do it the wrong way, they really will ruin baseball.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby bigken117 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:07 pm

neoforce wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Good read.

+1

That article should be required reading for the endless debates about how the Yankees are ruining baseball.

Before I read the article, I'm going to assume that it thinks a salary cap is a bad thing...

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 253)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:24 pm

San D wrote:What really needs to be done is a salary system needs to be applied to the draft so the worst teams actually draft the best players. This is what owners should really be pushing for to try and equalize the playing field a bit.

Hallelujah!

;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby noseeum » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:38 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
San D wrote:What really needs to be done is a salary system needs to be applied to the draft so the worst teams actually draft the best players. This is what owners should really be pushing for to try and equalize the playing field a bit.

Hallelujah!

;-D

I disagree. If you can't pony up $8 or 9 million for a top 5 pick that has huge potential, than you have no business having a baseball team. Gimme a break. These guys get $8 million and then their salaries are locked down for 6 years on top of however many they spend in the minors. These baseball teams are the cheapest mofos in sports. They have an artificially reduced salary for 6 years, an anti-trust exemption, a local monopoly, and yet they want a salary cap and a cap on signing bonuses for draftees? It's not enough that they've got exclusive negotiating rights, and the only choice the player has is to take the money or risk everything by waiting another year to re-enter the draft?

I can understand not wanting to pay market rates through free agency, but by the time a player has become a free agent, he's been in pro baseball for at least 8 years most times. For some of them, their only significant paycheck is from the draft. Pay up, owners. If you let a stud prospect go over $2 million, you deserve to stink.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:43 pm

AussieDodger wrote:

Hallelujah!

;-D

I thought I heard they were going to be talking about a hard slotting system where teams can't go over the slot. That would work better, but it would still leave guys that have their egos too huge in the first place that won't sign with a team.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers