Auction Leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction Leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction Leagues

Postby chargerss24 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:55 pm

I'm in a 12-team auction keeper league. We can keep anyone we want on our team, as long as we are under the $26 cap limit by draft day. Just kinda curious to all those who play in auction leagues, do you guys like to tie up most of your money in offense, or pitching? Or do you try to balance between the two groups?

Just thought I'd get some input on that, since I have some major salary issues and want to get an idea on where I need to trim some fat. But that's another question for another forum! :-B

Thanks in advance! ;-D
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 43)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction Leagues

Postby Matthias » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:27 pm

There's two answers to your question.

1) Most players tie up more money in hitting than pitching; I think most value calculators are based off of a presumed 60/40 split of dollars between hitting and pitching.

2) More importantly, I keep whichever players save me the most money. If Pujols is a $55 market value and I can keep him for $30, that's $25 extra I have to spend. If Lincecum is a $27 pitcher and I can keep him for $2, that's also $25. But if Hanley is a $40 player and I can keep him for $25, that's only $15 of savings and so not as good as the other two. Pitcher, catcher, shortstop, third baseman, whatever..... keep the guys who are the most valuable to keep and then use your extra dough to get other players on draft day.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:36 pm

Matthias wrote:2) More importantly, I keep whichever players save me the most money. If Pujols is a $55 market value and I can keep him for $30, that's $25 extra I have to spend. If Lincecum is a $27 pitcher and I can keep him for $2, that's also $25. But if Hanley is a $40 player and I can keep him for $25, that's only $15 of savings and so not as good as the other two. Pitcher, catcher, shortstop, third baseman, whatever..... keep the guys who are the most valuable to keep and then use your extra dough to get other players on draft day.

That's what I would do. Get the most bang for your buck.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby Element » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:37 pm

I start by making category goals. My goal is to finish in the top three (25%) in every category (avg each category by previous three seasons). Aiming for that number gives you great balance and makes making up for the unknown during the season much easier. After setting my projections, I plug and play. Which group of guys can I put together (using freeze values & projected auction dollar values) that will help me achieve this goal? Then I try to move whichever players still have decent freeze value that doesn't fit my plan.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 767)

Postby ayebatter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:08 pm

In a nutshell, try and finish within an average of the top 3 spots in each Cat., you will need to get $33 worth of value for your $26, or you will finish in the middle of the pack.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1390)

Postby chargerss24 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:06 pm

As of right now, I got three pitchers taking up nearly a third of my budget. To keep Hamels (2.80), Santana (2.90) and Peavy (2.10) would set me back 7.80 alone. So pitching wise, I'm certainly looking to find that kind of value in the 1.00-1.50 range. !+) My team is in my sig below.

Prices are currently fluctuating, so I won't be making any moves until our prices locked down Feb. 1. My idea was to move two stud pitchers (maybe 3 if push comes to shove) and their salary to improve my bats and go with young and cheap promising arms.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24