Surprises in your collection? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

Surprises in your collection?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Surprises in your collection?

Postby bigken117 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:53 pm

I recently purchased Beckett online for a month for 3 of the 4 sports (not baseball) to price my collection. (I will get baseball for a year when those expire...)
Anyways I was going through my Barry Sanders cards, of which I have 700+, and looking up some of the better ones, when I saw an SP Authentic that was #d to 25 on the front. I know SP is some of the pricier cards out there, but I looked it up and it's worth $250! I don't remember how much I paid for it originally, but it wouldn't have been more than $20.
Also had a Tom Brady rookie with Giovanni Carmizzi (sic?) that I thought was only worth a couple bucks was worth $20.

Finding a card is worth 10x what you originally thought....priceless :-B
Anyone have other experiences like it?

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Surprises in your collection?

Postby chargerss24 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:49 pm

I remember digging through a shoe box full of cards maybe 10 years ago or so and lo' and behold I found Alex Rodriguez's SP rookie card, think it books for around $200. Whoop Whoop! B-)
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:13 pm

chargerss24 wrote:I remember digging through a shoe box full of cards maybe 10 years ago or so and lo' and behold I found Alex Rodriguez's SP rookie card, think it books for around $200. Whoop Whoop! B-)

I was actually going to mention this very card! I remember when SP first came out, and my dad got me into collecting them - they went from like $3-4/pack to $10 pretty quickly and there were some pretty cool rookies in the set. When I got back into the swing of things a few years ago, I found this card in box of other commons and seemingly "worthless" cards, and I have to say I was very happy to have found it.

On the downside, the Leaf Frank Thomas rookie that was a perrenial $80-100 card right out of the gates when I pulled it back in the day, is now not worth much more than a trip to the movies !+)
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chargerss24 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:34 am

WaCougMBS wrote:
chargerss24 wrote:I remember digging through a shoe box full of cards maybe 10 years ago or so and lo' and behold I found Alex Rodriguez's SP rookie card, think it books for around $200. Whoop Whoop! B-)

On the downside, the Leaf Frank Thomas rookie that was a perrenial $80-100 card right out of the gates when I pulled it back in the day, is now not worth much more than a trip to the movies !+)

Haha! I know how that is. In a pack of '94 (I think) of Collector's Choice where each pack had a silver autographed card and each box had one gold autograph card, I bought a pack and pulled a Griffey gold auto. My dealer offered me LOTS of stuff for it and I said hell no. Normal card went for 2 bucks and gold autos went (at the time) x75-x100 the price of the normal card. Now it's probably worth what I paid for the pack. :-P !+)
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigken117 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:02 pm

chargerss24 wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:

Haha! I know how that is. In a pack of '94 (I think) of Collector's Choice where each pack had a silver autographed card and each box had one gold autograph card, I bought a pack and pulled a Griffey gold auto. My dealer offered me LOTS of stuff for it and I said hell no. Normal card went for 2 bucks and gold autos went (at the time) x75-x100 the price of the normal card. Now it's probably worth what I paid for the pack. :-P !+)

The only gold sig I ever pulled from that set was a Paul Wilson...that was one of the gems in my collection back in the day :-b

Play Pick 3!

Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chargerss24 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:27 pm

Other than Griffey, my only other gold auto was Greg Maddux. Not too shaby back in '94! :-B
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:18 am

I had the die-cut version for awhile. Traded it away back then (sealed boxes along with cards I wanted). Almost scared to look it up to see what it's worth now. 8-o

Couldn't help it, went and looked it up (my boy collects so I've got a Beckett handy). Only listed for $200 right now, the regular rookie is at $150 and the Holoview insert is at $80 (and I had one of those back in the day). If memory serves, I traded the die-cut version for close to $500 worth of stuff, so it seems I did pretty good for a change. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:59 am

one of these days i have to examine boxes and boxes of cards in my garage. my dad used to own a card shop and we brought everything into the garage when he closed shop. i'll probably need to hire someone to do it with me and pay him with cards. :-D
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bigken117 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:52 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:one of these days i have to examine boxes and boxes of cards in my garage. my dad used to own a card shop and we brought everything into the garage when he closed shop. i'll probably need to hire someone to do it with me and pay him with cards. :-D

Are you in the Boston area :-B That's my dream job right there.

Play Pick 3!

Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia