Snake Draft question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Snake Draft question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Snake Draft question

Postby beezer » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:00 am

Does mostly everyone out there use the "snake" style draft where the first round order is reversed every other round? I am the commish of a 14 team league and we have always used a semi-snake draft where everyone eventually gets back to back picks. It is a little confusing but I was just wondering if anyone uses that draft style. Thanks.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Jury » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:24 am

Typically Yahoo and ESPN use the snake draft, and those are likely two of the more popular fantasy sports sites to play through. I'd say cost (in Yahoo's case free) dictates popularity and popularity dictates what gets posted on these forums if that made any sense whatsoever :-b
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:05 pm

In single-season formats, you'll find that just about every league that doesn't hold an auction uses the serpentine format. Other methods are either less fair (linear, which can be useful in returning leagues in order to give the owners on the bottom of the standings a better shot) or more complicated than serpentine, but without too many advantages (random order every two rounds, for instance).
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby prodpaul » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:12 pm

We do an inversion method for every three rounds. For instance if you get the top pick in the 3rd round then you will draft last in the 6th, first in the 9th, last in the 12th, first again in the 15th. Kinda different.

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jbird669 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:29 pm

We use a snake draft in our league, a 10 team 5x5 with salaries (we use USA Today Baseball Weekly's Values as our salaries). Prodpaul, that is different yet cool idea.
The Jury, I wouldn't say taht popularity dictates what is listed on this site, cuz if that were the case, I wouldn't get a post at all! Our league uses TQ stats with an entry fee of $35, and we play for $$$, which suprisingly, a lot of people on this site do not. It's not suprising in a bad way, but while being fun, for all the work and dedication you put into this, you should get something out of it other than bragging rights.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Arlo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:38 pm

jbird669 wrote:... for all the work and dedication you put into this, you should get something out of it other than bragging rights.

Oh, but in some cases, those bragging rights are absolutely priceless... ;-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jbird669 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:47 pm

Arlo, you are so right, but so is receiving dead presidents from the commish in front of the other league owners, who it belonged to at one point.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Arlo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:22 pm

jbird669 wrote:Arlo, you are so right, but so is receiving dead presidents from the commish in front of the other league owners, who it belonged to at one point.

True that... :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beezer » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:45 pm

Thanks for the input fellas. You are so right jbird, cash is KING! We have always been a $$ league. Wouldn't have it any other way!
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers