Oakland NYE Subway Killing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Oakland NYE Subway Killing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Oakland NYE Subway Killing

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:00 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:If the justice system works and the guy who pulled the trigger gets punishment fitting of the crime, then accept it. In the mean time, continue to protest and voice your opinion peacefully, and if he gets off scott-free...burn that mother down. But not your own neighborhood...go to the courthouse/BART police office/city hall/etc.

Totally.

Art Vandelay wrote:Apparently, they're saying that the cop may have thought he had his tazer, not his firearm, which, as far as I'm concerned, doesn't mean squat. I have a lot of family members in law enforcement, I've talked to them and they say that you would have to be a complete and absolute moron to make a mistake like that, and that you are supposed to take measures to prevent that from happening, like keep them on different sides of the belt. And that's ignoring the fact that this probably wasn't even a situation that warranted use of a tazer anyway. Dude had been searched, he was face down and being controlled by three officers. Even "non-lethal" force shouldn't have been necessary.

What a bunch of BS, he knew he had his handgun out. :-t
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:02 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Apparently, they're saying that the cop may have thought he had his tazer, not his firearm

I believe that's called the "Bottom Of The Barrel Defense" there wasn't anything else he could think of.

Other things he could have thought he had (but were rejected by his lawyer)............
A digital camera
A speed radar gun
A spray can (a'la nWo)
An old school supermarket labelling machine
A banana
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:25 pm

Oh come on, they do look similar. See if you can tell which is which? ;-7

Image Image
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Metroid wrote:Oh come on, they do look similar. See if you can tell which is which? ;-7

And a gun weighs a least twice as much as a taser.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:41 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Metroid wrote:Oh come on, they do look similar. See if you can tell which is which? ;-7

And a gun weighs a least twice as much as a taser.

Yeah and you'd think clicking off the safety would be a good sign you're holding the wrong gun, they're not even remotely close to each other.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:12 pm

This is a completely terrible story. I feel terrible for the guy and his family. That said, I still find this to be somewhat reassuring.

With the proliferation of cell phone cameras people can't get away with this crap anymore. The Rodney King beating took place in 1991. I'm sure this kind of thing took place all the time back then. By some stroke of luck this was caught by a private citizen with a movie camera. That was almost 18 years ago. With 90% of people carrying cell phones with cameras capable of shooting movies this isn't happening nearly as much. There are still evil racist violent monsters out there but cell phones and dna evidence is making these morons think twice before acting.

If you're looking for a silver lining think that this is now the execption and not the rule.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 283)

Postby Madison » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:07 pm

knapplc wrote:WHY IS THIS NOT BEING REPORTED?

Good question. It says the local media has been covering it (which they should), but maybe nationally they are having issues getting the details? I dunno, just the only thing that makes sense to me as to why the national media isn't running with it. Would seem like a seedy sensationalistic media grab for attention if the only details they've got is a BART officer shooting a guy in the back. Needs more substance.

knapplc wrote:How do you explain shooting a handcuffed man?

Handcuffed. Face down. Stand. Shoot.

According to the article posted, he was cuffed after being shot (by the officer that shot him). And the grainy video didn't make it appear he was cuffed when he was shot, but it's hard to tell.

Not that it really matters though, sure didn't seem like there was any reason to shoot the guy to me.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RugbyD » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:This is a completely terrible story. I feel terrible for the guy and his family. That said, I still find this to be somewhat reassuring.

With the proliferation of cell phone cameras people can't get away with this crap anymore. The Rodney King beating took place in 1991. I'm sure this kind of thing took place all the time back then. By some stroke of luck this was caught by a private citizen with a movie camera. That was almost 18 years ago. With 90% of people carrying cell phones with cameras capable of shooting movies this isn't happening nearly as much. There are still evil racist violent monsters out there but cell phones and dna evidence is making these morons think twice before acting.

If you're looking for a silver lining think that this is now the execption and not the rule.

And it's no coincidence that we frequently hear of police demandnig that recording devices be turned off or their data cleared.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:19 pm

RugbyD wrote:And it's no coincidence that we frequently hear of police demandnig that recording devices be turned off or their data cleared.

I didn't watch the video in the link above, I've seen them numerous times though....anyway in an interview I watched with the girl that recorded one of the videos(there are two vids)she says after the young man was shot she backed inside the BART car she was riding in and a female officer ran up, started pounding on the windows, and demanded she hand over her camera. Of course she said no, that cop had no reason or right what so ever to demand her to hand over her camera. She obviously just wanted to make some very damning evidence disappear.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby jfg » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Protests go unnoticed by the media most of the time and although not everybody is rioting for this reason, I bet a good number of people riot when they feel there is no other way they can get the attention of the nation. This seems to be a glaring example of one of those moments.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk