TV shows - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

TV shows

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: TV shows

Postby ThatDude » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:02 am

Phatferd wrote:A good set of shows to Tivo that you can jump into are a lot of the Discovery channel shows like Dirty Jobs, Deadliest Catch, Mythbusters, Man vs. Wild and Survivorman...

Sadly, Les is done making any more Survivorman episodes. The last one aired in mid-December, but maybe you could catch them running a marathon of them someday. Can't say I blame him for retiring from that particular project, it's gotta be pure hell on him to do that stuff.

Man Vs. Wild sucks, nothing more than a pale imitation of Survivorman, but the rest of the stuff is pretty solid.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:55 am

ya the discovery channel is awesome... i absolutely love deadliest catch and survivorman.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:16 am

jfg wrote:There doesn't seem to be much new lately, probably an aftershock of the strike. On Demand usually only goes back to the start of the last season aired I think.

Anybody heard anything about that Will Ferrell HBO baseball comedy? That starts in Feb. I think. Anything on the Cartoon Network that is funny in a funny way, not funny in a weird way? How about that new show starting on Showtime, United States of Tara?

The only shows I know I'm going to be watching as of now are Lost (I've watched that one since the start), the Sunday night Fox toons, The Office, Flight of the Conchords, Friday Night Lights, Monk, American Idol (now that I can fast forward 90 percent of it), The Big Bang Theory and SNL. So, as you can see I'm big into comedy (that doesn't suck) but I definitely can get hooked into a drama- I just really can only handle a couple at a time.

30 Rock is hilarious
Venture Brothers on the Cartoon Network. There is some weird stuff but not like ATHF or Sealab. Really funny show.
Entourage. Much better On-demand or recorded so you can watch a bunch of episodes at a time.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:43 am

I watched the premiere of United States of Tara and it looks like a winner. I will definitely be watching that one.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:47 am

I DVR Mythbusters & Dirty Jobs. I've also taken and interest in No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain on the Travel Channel. It's about good food and fun places to travel, and Bourdain is pretty entertaining once you get used to his acerbity. Just about anything on the Military and Science channels are winners, and you don't have to worry about joining "in the middle" of the series.

Opening Day is only about 90 days away. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:56 am

I just snagged Seasons 1 - 3 of Weeds on Blu Ray, and through the first few episodes I'm definitely into it. If you get Showtime, you should check that out.

True Blood is a show on HBO that I really got into this Fall. It's only 1 season in, so it wouldn't take you too long to catch up.

You'll never be able to hop into LOST, which starts back up with Season 5 on 1/21, without having no idea what's going on, but if you're looking to get into a show, DVR the new season and Netflix or rent the previous seasons on DVD. Season 1 is my favorite season of any show, ever.

The Office. You can hop into this show and quickly learn the characters, and it's funny from the opening second even if you don't know the full plot line. The funniest show I think I've ever watched -- definitely recommend checking in with this. It's on Thursdays at 9 on NBC.

I've heard awesome things about Dexter, on Showtime, and want to pick up the DVDs, but from what I can tell it's not a show you can just jump into the middle of.

30 Rock -- Thursdays at 9:30 on NBC. In my opinion it's hilarious, but it's the type of humor that has to be up your alley of you're going to hate the show. Shouldn't have too tough a time jumping right into the middle of this show, either, like The Office. Them being on one after another doesn't hurt, either. Not a bad way to spend an hour.

Amazinz wrote:I watched the premiere of United States of Tara and it looks like a winner. I will definitely be watching that one.

When and what channel, and all that? I've never heard of it...

entourage is the mans man show. I'd recommend, again, Netflixing or renting the DVDs to catch up, or if you have HBO On Demand, trying to watch it that way. Awesome show.

Happy hunting.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:57 am

Amazinz wrote:I watched the premiere of United States of Tara and it looks like a winner. I will definitely be watching that one.

yeah...that looked like it could be good, but i dont have Showtime and Toni Collette is so unattractive...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:07 pm

Yeah it's on Showtime. The actual premiere hasn't happened yet but you can watch it on Showtime on Demand (free) but it's edited (just for cursing, not too bad) or watch in on Showtime's site.

Weeds was a great show in it's first season. I really started to dislike it in the second season and just abandoned it 3 episodes into the third. The show definitely needed more Kevin Nealon. Doug is a great character.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:08 pm

knapplc wrote:I DVR Mythbusters & Dirty Jobs. I've also taken and interest in No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain on the Travel Channel. It's about good food and fun places to travel, and Bourdain is pretty entertaining once you get used to his acerbity. Just about anything on the Military and Science channels are winners, and you don't have to worry about joining "in the middle" of the series.

Opening Day is only about 90 days away. ;-D

I'm all about Mythbusters & Dirty Jobs, and I really like No Reservations and Bizarre Foods too. Yeah Anthony Bourdain is a bit of an....A-Hole, for lack of a better word, but I like him. Maybe an A-Hole is unfair, he's a strange bird, he comes across as pompous, conceded, and arrogant but at the same time humble and very courteous. I dunno I like him, he has an odd charm about him...anyway. :-?

I don't watch much TV anymore but I really like The Office. I also love Dexter and Weeds but I wait for them on DVD....Yeah h0rt make sure you start from the beginning of Dexter, it's only just now into it's 3rd season so it's quick to catch up on. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Can't believe I forgot; I'd also do what you could to find Breaking Bad on AMC. Show is awesome.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk