Daily versus weekly lineup settings? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daily versus weekly lineup settings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Daily versus weekly lineup settings?

Postby RugbyD » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:32 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:Roto i strongly prefer weekly...i played in a daily roto last year and it was too much of a grind for me...not to mention trying to deal with innings/games limits

This is probably why I prefer limit poker to no-limit poker; I love the grind.

I like checking matchups every morning, being able to cover injuries in real-time, managing GP and IP to replicate a real full season, etc.

Also, a waivers system helps guard against giving advantage to those witht he quickest trigger finger or first to a computer.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:50 am

I think the one thing and pretty much the only thing that I dislike about daily leagues compared to weekly leagues is the fact that I'm not able to check the line-ups at 6:30 and adjust my fantasy line-up accordingly, while others may/may not be able to do so.
Weekly leagues get rid of these advantages/disadvantages.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby neoforce » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:56 am

J35J wrote:For those who say that you only need to check on your team once a week in weekly leagues is not very accurate. You can make moves/transactions/trades etc any and every day of the week if you want....they just don't go into effect until Sunday(or whichever day you have it setup as). If you are only logging in on Sat or Sun to check your team, you will lose! I check on my weekly league teams darn near as much as my daily league teams.

There are so many different ways to do rules... In my weekly league, all changes happen at the weekly move time. So yes, I can put things in the queue any time in the week. But it doesn't matter because it isn't actually changed until the move day of the week.

So, lets say my move deadline is Monday at 5pm, and hot rookie XYZ comes up from the minors. If he comes up at Monday at 4pm, then I better put that move in by 5pm or he will be gone. But if he comes up Tuesday, I still have to the next Monday to put that claim in.

With these rules, I get him or don't get him based only on my FAAB bid, not based on when I am on line. And I know every week to put in my moves early (in case something comes up) but be on line Mondays 4-5 just in case something changes.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 3)

Postby jnormy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:29 pm

I prefer weekly leagues too, with one caveat: I wish there was a way to account for unexpected injuries in weekly formats. It's frustrating and not at all "realistic" to have an open spot in your lineup for days at a time when a previously healthy guy suddenly goes down with an injury. IMO, that leaves a major portion of the outcome to plain ol' dumb luck, esp. in a H2H format. Granted, a lot of fantasy sports is luck, but to be completely helpless to replace a fallen player in your lineup for 4, 5, 6 days at a stretch is not cool.

It would probably be a little tough to manage and keep track of, but has anyone ever heard of a weekly league that actually allows a certain amount of "injury replacements" during the course of the week?
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 15)

Postby noseeum » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:35 pm

jnormy wrote:I prefer weekly leagues too, with one caveat: I wish there was a way to account for unexpected injuries in weekly formats. It's frustrating and not at all "realistic" to have an open spot in your lineup for days at a time when a previously healthy guy suddenly goes down with an injury. IMO, that leaves a major portion of the outcome to plain ol' dumb luck, esp. in a H2H format. Granted, a lot of fantasy sports is luck, but to be completely helpless to replace a fallen player in your lineup for 4, 5, 6 days at a stretch is not cool.

It would probably be a little tough to manage and keep track of, but has anyone ever heard of a weekly league that actually allows a certain amount of "injury replacements" during the course of the week?

You know what would be good? Assigning backups before the deadline. So if you have a 3B on your bench, you designate him the backup 3B. If you have an OF, you designate him the backup OF, etc. I still think you shouldn't be able to go to the wire during the week, but if a guy is on your roster, I would love this option. Technically fairly easy. I like it!
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jnormy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:51 pm

noseeum wrote: I still think you shouldn't be able to go to the wire during the week, but if a guy is on your roster, I would love this option. Technically fairly easy. I like it!

I totally meant replacing the injured player with a guy on your roster, not a FA pickup. If you don't have a backup for that position rostered already, you're SOL. That would also add extra value to those super-utility players like Freel and Scutaro, which would bring it even more in line with real baseball. Every MLB roster seems to have one of these invaluable multi-positional players on their bench...
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:18 pm

jnormy wrote:
noseeum wrote: I still think you shouldn't be able to go to the wire during the week, but if a guy is on your roster, I would love this option. Technically fairly easy. I like it!

I totally meant replacing the injured player with a guy on your roster, not a FA pickup. If you don't have a backup for that position rostered already, you're SOL. That would also add extra value to those super-utility players like Freel and Scutaro, which would bring it even more in line with real baseball. Every MLB roster seems to have one of these invaluable multi-positional players on their bench...

that is a nice option, but i'm not sure if theres a software that allows that option...and i'm guessing it would be a huge PITA for the commish to manage it manually

i think Myfantasyleague may offer an option like that for football, but i'm not 100%
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby noseeum » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:41 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
jnormy wrote:

that is a nice option, but i'm not sure if theres a software that allows that option...and i'm guessing it would be a huge PITA for the commish to manage it manually

i think Myfantasyleague may offer an option like that for football, but i'm not 100%

No way would I do this manually as commish, but I'm going to submit a feature request on CBS. Maybe in 2010. If you like the idea, do the same.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:56 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:

This sounds like using FAAB which processes once or twice a week.

I think the best setup for me would have daily hitter lineups, weekly pitcher lineups (pitchers lock when they make that start), and used FAAB (2x a week). I'm an active owner but dislike streaming and excessive churning.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 518)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:19 pm

neoforce wrote:
J35J wrote:For those who say that you only need to check on your team once a week in weekly leagues is not very accurate. You can make moves/transactions/trades etc any and every day of the week if you want....they just don't go into effect until Sunday(or whichever day you have it setup as). If you are only logging in on Sat or Sun to check your team, you will lose! I check on my weekly league teams darn near as much as my daily league teams.

There are so many different ways to do rules... In my weekly league, all changes happen at the weekly move time. So yes, I can put things in the queue any time in the week. But it doesn't matter because it isn't actually changed until the move day of the week.

So, lets say my move deadline is Monday at 5pm, and hot rookie XYZ comes up from the minors. If he comes up at Monday at 4pm, then I better put that move in by 5pm or he will be gone. But if he comes up Tuesday, I still have to the next Monday to put that claim in.

With these rules, I get him or don't get him based only on my FAAB bid, not based on when I am on line. And I know every week to put in my moves early (in case something comes up) but be on line Mondays 4-5 just in case something changes.

Neo (or whoever) - what website do you use that incorporates weekly FAAB? I'm going to try to persuade the auction league that I just joined last year to do this and want to have some sort of plan set when my league meets in a month.

Back to topic - I prefer daily leagues to weekly leagues mainly because, like a previous poster mentioned, there is nothing worse then setting your lineup on Monday and then on the first game on Monday night a player of yours goes down and your SOL for stats in that roster spot for the week. I really like the idea of designating a "backup" by utilizing your bench spots...top notch idea!

Plus I'm on my computer all day long so checking my lineups daily is no big deal. On the flip side though, I think a weekly league makes the competition more "fair" since there are a lot of owners who can't (or won't) check their leagues multiple times throughout the day and thus have a competitive disadvantage. Although they benefit me, I'm not a fan of first come first serve WW pickups.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 38)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers