Daily versus weekly lineup settings? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daily versus weekly lineup settings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Daily versus weekly lineup settings?

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:39 pm

i dont think i would ever want to play a weekly league. i like my fantasy baseball as realistic as possible and setting your lineup and then finding out a player is hurt on monday or tuesday really just kills it for it. i like people to be as involved as possible in my leagues and making it weekly would just cause people to coming in and checking once a week, sort of like fantasy football and we all know how that is.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:16 am

I've done Daily leagues before and i'm not a big fan. Over a 162 game season changing your lineup everyday is a little bit too much for me. Occassionaly i have real life commitments... ;-) Its annoying to me.

Daily leagues are no more active than weekly leagues if you've got good managers. With weekly leagues i still check my team almost everyday, at least once. Checking for news, scores, trades, free agents and whatever else. For me, weekly leagues are a lot more enjoyable.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:42 am

You know, Yahoo lets you set your lineup up to 5 days ahead (or 7, not sure which), and has all pitchers' expected rotation turns. Not sure about other services but I'd imagine they'd have a similar system.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby noseeum » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:55 am

I play in both styles and I see no relationship between the rules and the level of activity in the league. My favorite most active league is a weekly head to head league.

We've set our lineups, but that means plenty of room for trash talking people who left hot players on the bench, complaining about injuries, etc. With CBS' chat feature, everyone's on every night yapping about something. It's far and away my most active, interesting, and fun league.

I think it takes more skill and strategy to compete in a weekly league. In a daliy league, the guy that's online the most can have an advantage and cover up his mistakes simply by making many moves. Not so in a weekly. You have to live with your mistake for 7 days, and the rest of the league can make fun of you for it.

Once Monday comes in a weekly league, you have 7 days to obsess about your next decisions! The pressure of each add/drop is bigger, etc. Sometimes I'll pick a guy up on Monday and watch him till Sunday, only to drop him for someone else, all the while hoping the guy I left on the wire stays there. Much more interesting, IMO.

As for your dilemma, I would give it another chance. It might be more the people in the league and not the format. If my weekly league consisted of a bunch of guys who ignored it until Sunday, I would win every year, but I'd be miserable. If your league consists of mostly weekend warriors, I think that's your main problem. Good luck.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:53 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:You know, Yahoo lets you set your lineup up to 5 days ahead (or 7, not sure which), and has all pitchers' expected rotation turns. Not sure about other services but I'd imagine they'd have a similar system.

exactly, which is why i dont get the whole daily is too tedious. if you want to set your lineup for the week, go right ahead.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:06 am

The bottom line is that you've got to play in a league that maximizes your enjoyment in the game, period. So no, you're not being a jerk in the slightest. This is something we do for enjoyment, so there's no sense in participating in something that doesn't fulfill that aspect of it.

I enjoy both daily and weekly leagues, and while I used to prefer daily leagues when I was in high school and college, these days with how busy I am teaching full-time, going to graduate school full-time, tutoring, and having a social life, I prefer weekly lineups, mainly for the ease of it all. I also enjoy the added strategy of having to set at the beginning of the week and live with the consequences. The league I commish will be moving to a weekly lineup for the first time in five seasons this year, but I made sure I talked it over with everyone in the league, and it was cool with them.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 833)

Postby neoforce » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:09 am

Again, as been said many times in this thread, the nice thing is you can choose what you like best. So it isn't a big deal. What works for me is weekly.

Snakes Gould wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:You know, Yahoo lets you set your lineup up to 5 days ahead (or 7, not sure which), and has all pitchers' expected rotation turns. Not sure about other services but I'd imagine they'd have a similar system.

exactly, which is why i dont get the whole daily is too tedious. if you want to set your lineup for the week, go right ahead.

Because even setting the lineup in advance you will be at a disadvantage if you can't keep on top of daily events and make last minute changes when a pitcher misses his turn or a hitter gets a day to day injury.

It isn't that it is tedious, it is the time commitment. Over a six month season there are many times I'm simply unable to worry about fantasy baseball for a few days in a row.

So, why should I play a version of this hobby that puts me at a disadvantage when I can play a version I enjoy and allows me those gaps of time when needed?
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:34 am

J35J wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:I usually play 2 daily leagues and 2 weekly leagues and enjoy both greatly.
I'd just add that I find weekly leagues are harder to play and involve more strategy.

I like and play both styles each year as well. If I could only play 1 style though it would probably be weekly.

Exactly the same way I feel, except if I could only play 1 style it would be daily ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:18 am

i play both as well...i guess i prefer weekly, but it really depends on the league format

Roto i strongly prefer weekly...i played in a daily roto last year and it was too much of a grind for me...not to mention trying to deal with innings/games limits

points based H2H i also prefer weekly...i've never actually played in a daily, but i could just see too many issues with roster churning and whatnot. plus as some have said trying to decide matcups for the whole week is part of the fun

the yahoo style H2H i prefer daily...in that format it just lends itself to the micro-managing...although it is a pain when i know i wont be around to swap out guys during rainouts and stuff like that. i played a weekly version last year and lineups basically had to be set Sunday night which was the stupidest thing ever
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby J35J » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:31 am

For those who say that you only need to check on your team once a week in weekly leagues is not very accurate. You can make moves/transactions/trades etc any and every day of the week if you want....they just don't go into effect until Sunday(or whichever day you have it setup as). If you are only logging in on Sat or Sun to check your team, you will lose! I check on my weekly league teams darn near as much as my daily league teams.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 621)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers