Daily versus weekly lineup settings? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daily versus weekly lineup settings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Daily versus weekly lineup settings?

Postby 4Pack » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:48 pm

Not even sure if this is the correct forum for this...and feel free to move it if you must.

Okay...I joined a 16 team keeper league last year. This will be the leagues 3rd season so I missed out on just one year of the league. I joined knowing full well that the league had a weekly lineup setting. Well...it took all of a month into the season to realize that (for me anyway) setting my lineup once a week kind of took the fun away from the game. Basically all I had to do was show up once a week..plug my players in the lineup and hope for the best. I still paid attention to the league on a regular basis to check on the availability of players and such...but truth be told..it was boring.

So I have been trying the past few days to urge the league to make a switch to daily lineups. A few of the managers have replied that they do not care which way we go...but a few of the more vocal managers are staunchly against it. Their reasoning? It is the way they have always done it (2 seasons) and it has worked fine so they see no reason to switch now. I have already told the league that they can look for a replacement manager for me if a weekly lineup setting is kept since the game to me is not near as enjoyable versus a daily setting.

Anyway...how many mangers here participate in weekly lineup leagues? Is this a standard type league? I have played fantasy baseball for 8 years (this will be my 9th) and this is actually the first time I have ever been in such a league. Am I being a "jerk" for bowing out of the league if the switch is not made? What is the point of being in a keeper league (or any league for that matter) if you can only find time to check on your team once a week?

Not sure what answers I am looking for to be honest. I am just kind of shocked by the leagues resistance to making a switch is all.

BTW...this is not a "money" league. If that were the case..I could understand to a certain extent why a few managers would not want to change.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Daily versus weekly lineup settings?

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:36 pm

I will not comment on the being a 'jerk' aspect, but if you will not enjoy it, why stay? If it is nt something you want to participate in, you will only do the league injustice by sticking around and only going through the emotions. Better to take off and let someone who wants to be in this type of league take over for you.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby 4Pack » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:56 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:I will not comment on the being a 'jerk' aspect, but if you will not enjoy it, why stay? If it is nt something you want to participate in, you will only do the league injustice by sticking around and only going through the emotions. Better to take off and let someone who wants to be in this type of league take over for you.

Ironicallly...I was BY FAR the most active manager in the league and finished the regular season tied for lst. It is a weekly points league and the team I took over finished 4-18 the previous season. I switched that around to 16-6. It is almost as if the rest of the league was just going through the motions all season.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:59 pm

I usually play 2 daily leagues and 2 weekly leagues and enjoy both greatly.
I'd just add that I find weekly leagues are harder to play and involve more strategy.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby SecretAgentMan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:04 pm

I have run leagues for years and generally only weekly ones. This is a debate that has gone on since Yahoo offerred the free daily leagues to everyone and anyone. There is no right answer, but many owners like myself prefer weekly. It encourages the long term approach and discourages the transaction churning you see in daily leagues where you pick up a spare player to fill in a roster spot when someone has an off day, stream your starters etc. Rules in daily leagues can be set to limit this stuff, but frankly I find that I am just as active in weekly leagues as in daily. The difference in the weekly is that I am working the wire and looking to trade as opposed to nonsense like looking to pick up a spot starter, pick up a backup C for my starting C's off day, etc. in a daily.

I like to use the anomolgy of investing. Those that are long term minded and want to play fanatsy baseball to emulate real baseball as much as possible and win at the end of the season like the weekly format (after all, real baseball teams do not go and sign a C or a pitcher to fill in for a day and than release them). Those looking for day-trading action and short term gains, like the daily format more. To each his own and it is certainly within anyone's rights to not play in a format they do not like. However, in my opinion, if the league is setup as weekly and you joined it, you are within your right to ask for the change and within your rights to leave if you want to. However to expect a league formed by players that prefer those rules to change is unreasonable. A lot of the owners probably joined the league because of the rule setup.
Last edited by SecretAgentMan on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby MotorCityKitties » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:05 pm

I actually prefer weekly roto leagues because you don't have to have max innings or games limits. Basically you are given roster spots and you can do what you want with them. It's terrible when people max out their pitchers each day and run through their max innings 3/4 through the season. Then no one can tell where they actually stand in the league. Monday night injuries are obviously the worst part about weekly leagues, but I think it's well worth the trade-off.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ayebatter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:11 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:I usually play 2 daily leagues and 2 weekly leagues and enjoy both greatly.
I'd just add that I find weekly leagues are harder to play and involve more strategy.

More teams, but I agree with ya ABS, weekly does involve more strategy from the draft thru the world series.

As to your being a 'jerk', nope you just don't enjoy weekly (although if it was a daily, you may not have done as well), just sayin'. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby Grouperman941 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:31 pm

I play both as well. In my main league, where we have been at this for 10 years now, most of the guys don't want to have their success tied to whether or not they can make it to their computer day in and day out or not. I have come to enjoy the 'rush' of my daily leagues, but I have also been screwed by real life a lot more in those leagues than the weekly.

Sounds like yours is H2H, though, and I think a lot of the strategy in H2H comes from adjusting your line-up to what happened earlier in the week. I haven't done weekly h2h, so IDK.

Like others have said, if the rest of the league likes the format and you don't, it's OK to leave. Make sure you leave time to replace you, though.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby neoforce » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:27 pm

Grouperman941 wrote:I play both as well. ... most of the guys don't want to have their success tied to whether or not they can make it to their computer day in and day out or not...
Like others have said, if the rest of the league likes the format and you don't, it's OK to leave. Make sure you leave time to replace you, though.

Grouperman captured it for me. Play what you like. Now you know you like daily leagues, stick with those.

But I'm like the guys in Grouperman's weekly league. I just can't commit to being at the computer every day. In a weekly league, I get to follow what is going on in the MLB every day, but only have to actually be on line for fantasy decisions once a week if I'm traveling or busy with family or whatever.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby J35J » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:53 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:I usually play 2 daily leagues and 2 weekly leagues and enjoy both greatly.

I like and play both styles each year as well. If I could only play 1 style though it would probably be weekly.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers