Miguel Cabrera 1B, 3B or both? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Cabrera 1B, 3B or both?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Miguel Cabrera 1B, 3B or both?

Postby MTUCache » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:48 pm

aardvarks wrote:so where will Guillen play?

*gulp* Left Field *gulp*

I can only hope that VanSlyke finds some way of keeping him conditioned/platooned so that he's not spending half the season on the DL.

I have to say that I don't mind the left side of our infield defensively... hell, they've got range all over, but offensively they've got to be the worst in the AL. Easily the 8th/9th hitters in the lineup.

So, until Detroit can find some way to get rid of Sheffield, Guillen will be playing in the OF, putting extra pressure on Granderson to cover both gaps. Sheff/Thames will likely get some starts there as well, but both of them are probably even worse defensively.

As for 3rd... no way MCab sees any time there. I'm guessing he'll come back into camp, even after the WBC, weighing in at what he did before he got to Detroit, and very very comfortable with his position at 1B.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:04 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Inge cant hit, but people seem to think he plays Gold Glove 3B (while he makes some unbelievable highlight reel plays, his overall D is over-rated IMO) so his job is pretty safe

if i had to guess when Inge sits it will be a Ramon Santiago or Ryan Raburn type at 3rd...highly doubt M-Cab sees any time there...doubt Guillen does either

Holy Crap Inge was absolutely amazing at 3B as far as range. I went to quite a few games in '05 and '06 (or '04 and '05) and he was awesome. Of course he has a problem with those pesky balls that are hit to him, but if he's lucky it doesn't touch his glove so it can't be called an error. He's still a plus fielder though.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:22 am

MTUCache wrote:
aardvarks wrote:so where will Guillen play?

*gulp* Left Field *gulp*

I can only hope that VanSlyke finds some way of keeping him conditioned/platooned so that he's not spending half the season on the DL.

I have to say that I don't mind the left side of our infield defensively... hell, they've got range all over, but offensively they've got to be the worst in the AL. Easily the 8th/9th hitters in the lineup.

So, until Detroit can find some way to get rid of Sheffield, Guillen will be playing in the OF, putting extra pressure on Granderson to cover both gaps. Sheff/Thames will likely get some starts there as well, but both of them are probably even worse defensively.

As for 3rd... no way MCab sees any time there. I'm guessing he'll come back into camp, even after the WBC, weighing in at what he did before he got to Detroit, and very very comfortable with his position at 1B.

hopefully once Sheff hits his 500th HR and then starts hitting .220 with weak pop-ups to the SS and 3 pitch KO's they can DH Guillen and find someone else to play LF. i am holding out some slim hope that a full off-season of rest will allow Sheff to regain his swing

kab21 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Inge cant hit, but people seem to think he plays Gold Glove 3B (while he makes some unbelievable highlight reel plays, his overall D is over-rated IMO) so his job is pretty safe

if i had to guess when Inge sits it will be a Ramon Santiago or Ryan Raburn type at 3rd...highly doubt M-Cab sees any time there...doubt Guillen does either

Holy Crap Inge was absolutely amazing at 3B as far as range. I went to quite a few games in '05 and '06 (or '04 and '05) and he was awesome. Of course he has a problem with those pesky balls that are hit to him, but if he's lucky it doesn't touch his glove so it can't be called an error. He's still a plus fielder though.

like i said, he makes some great plays, but also a lot of errors...i just think his D is over-rated, especially considering what a terrible hitter he is
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers