Baldelli and Smoltz to the Red Sox? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baldelli and Smoltz to the Red Sox?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baldelli and Smoltz to the Red Sox?

Postby stevethumb » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:53 pm

thedude wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I'm stunned that the Braves would let him go like this though over $2M. Liberty Media is a joke and (I can't believe I'm about to say this but...) Braves fan base deserves better than these schmucks.

Supposedly the Boston incentives were easier to meet than the Atlanta incentives.

something's amiss here...i can't imagine a class act like smoltz quibbling over a coupla hundred grand worth of incentives to leave a team he has been w/for almost 20 years !!
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:05 pm

stevethumb wrote:
thedude wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I'm stunned that the Braves would let him go like this though over $2M. Liberty Media is a joke and (I can't believe I'm about to say this but...) Braves fan base deserves better than these schmucks.

Supposedly the Boston incentives were easier to meet than the Atlanta incentives.

something's amiss here...i can't imagine a class act like smoltz quibbling over a coupla hundred grand worth of incentives to leave a team he has been w/for almost 20 years !!

I agree. There has to be something else as well besides the extra money to make Smoltz leave. :-o At least as a long time Smoltz fan, I get to see him go out a winner even if it is with the hated sox.

Baldelli, I wish you well, just not in the 19 games against the Rays this year. ;-D ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Maris09 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:25 pm

stevethumb wrote:something's amiss here...i can't imagine a class act like smoltz quibbling over a coupla hundred grand worth of incentives to leave a team he has been w/for almost 20 years !!

That's what I'm saying guys, I don't think this is about money, from either side.
Smoltz is too much of a class act, and the organization has too much respect for him.

I think it's like I said, why pitch your final year for a team that's likely to finish no better than 3rd?
I love the Braves (and Smoltz) as much as anyone, and I don't want to see him pitch his last year for a mediocre team, and/or try to carry the teams pitching staff on his back like he attempted to do last year. This is a better situation for him, and I think it goes beyond the normal dollars and cents stuff.

Just my opinion from watching the player and organization.
Last edited by Maris09 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:30 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
stevethumb wrote:
thedude wrote:

I agree. There has to be something else as well besides the extra money to make Smoltz leave. :-o At least as a long time Smoltz fan, I get to see him go out a winner even if it is with the hated sox.

The question is, are you going to change your av now? :-?
Last edited by AquaMan2342 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:41 pm

Maris09 wrote:That's what I'm saying guys, I don't think this is about money, from either side.

Did you read Chipper's comments? Chipper spoke to Smoltz before that interview. If it had simply been a case of moving on to take a shot at a championship, I think Chipper's tone would have been different. I don't think he would have talked about how pissed he was. I do agree that it's probably not about the money though. I get the impression that it's about respect.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:43 pm

stevethumb wrote:
thedude wrote:

7 million dollars worth of incentives. The Red Sox deal has 5.5 million guaranteed plus 5 million dollars worth of incentives. The Braves deal had less guaranteed money, but had incentives that would bring it close to 10 million dollars (considering the language used by the Braves front office people, it sounds like the total package was worth less than 10 million). And those incentives would have been apparently tougher to meet. So in Boston he gets more if doesn't pitch all (by a few million) Gets more if he pitches okay (by a few million), and gets more of he pitches great (by probably less than 1 million).

"It is not about money it is about respect," (Stephen Marbury-2008) apparently the Braves wanted the home town discount and Smoltz said no thanks.

I am going to have to assume on the other hand that the Red Sox guaranteed him that he would have a chance to earn that money if he was healthy. I cannot see him going to Boston over Atlanta if he has to compete against Penny, Buchholz, Masterson, and Bowden for the number five spot in the rotation.

I am going say that this might be the prelude to the Red Sox making a trade for a young catcher. there might no such thing as too much starting pitching, but the Red Sox are hording it.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Maris09 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:51 pm

Amazinz wrote:Did you read Chipper's comments?

No I missed that. Do you have the link?
Thx
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:25 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
The question is, are you going to change your av now? :-?

Probably not.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:34 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Maris09 wrote:That's what I'm saying guys, I don't think this is about money, from either side.

Did you read Chipper's comments? Chipper spoke to Smoltz before that interview. If it had simply been a case of moving on to take a shot at a championship, I think Chipper's tone would have been different. I don't think he would have talked about how pissed he was. I do agree that it's probably not about the money though. I get the impression that it's about respect.

Yeah, this seems like the typical end-of-career move to win a ring. I personally do not see anything wrong with it, but I can see how some would.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby nsulham » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:51 pm

Maris09 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Did you read Chipper's comments?

No I missed that. Do you have the link?
Thx

Straight from the AJC:

Q. How did you take all this?

A. I am disappointed. Very disappointed. Deflated. Frustrated. It’s been a very long offseason, not a lot of stuff to really get excited about and then to have this it just is the icing on the cake for me.

Q. You understand why Smoltz decided to sign with Boston?

A. I get it. Ultimately, it’s Smoltzy’s decision to go. But I don’t think anybody is blaming him. The money is significantly different. He doesn’t feel like the Braves are giving him the same respect that the Red Sox are … I’m under the impression they basically told him be ready for June. My whole thing is John Smoltz has earned the right and earned the respect of everybody here to if he wants to come back and pitch and says he is healthy enough, he deserves that opportunity. And you do whatever it takes to get it done. We’ve made so many gambles on players that haven’t panned out over the past few years and if there was one guy in that clubhouse that I’m going to gamble a couple of million dollars on, it’s going to be that guy. If he says he can do it, I believe him.”

Q. Fans are questioning why the Braves didn’t offer Smoltz more money when this is an offseason when the Braves have said they had money to spend. Do you agree?

A. For Smoltzy! That’s what I don’t understand. That’s what’s frustrating. I’m trying to be as diplomatic and as upbeat as I can possibly be and it is being made very hard on me to be that way. John Smoltz has been one of the faces of this franchise for 20 years. There’s no reason for him at 41 years old to be playing anywhere but here.

Q. How was he when you talked to him last night?

A. He was upset, as well he should be. You can liken it to a breakup. This organization is all we have ever known. We all have these dreams of playing our last game in this uniform and it goes back to what I’ve said all along. Every dog has his day. And everybody’s got that day that’s coming when a shot of reality sets in. The business of baseball goes on, and no matter how loyal you are as a player, no matter how much you sacrificed as a player for a particular organization, there comes a time when that organization wants to go a different direction. And that time is now for Smoltzy, and I would imagine that my time is not too far off in the distant future.

Q. How was the conversation?

A.He went through the whole scenario with me. The underlying tone was extreme disappointment — and from my end it was shock. I could see anyone one else going somewhere before John Smoltz. … After everything that’s happened to this organization this winter, the players and the fans need something good to happen. I’ve been keeping up with the news. I’ve been reading the blogs. The one silver lining we had was John Smoltz being back in the lineup this year. We could have had that dominant guy back in the lineup. But we won’t — and for what, a couple of million dollars?

Q. You worried now about how things might end with you?

A. I don’t know how it’s going to end with me. This is my last year under contract with Atlanta. And this last 24 hours certainly hasn’t gone unnoticed by me. I haven’t been offered an extension. If we’re 15 games out in July or August, I doubt they’re just going to let me become a free agent and get nothing in return.”

Q. So you’re preparing yourself to be traded?

A. It’s not beyond the realm of possibilities.

Q. Were you expecting the Braves to make you an offer for an extension this winter?

A. I was told that it was going to happen by the Braves.

Q. Do you think it still might?

A. We’ve got over a month until spring training. Yeah, it could certainly happen. I’ve just been chalking it up to the Braves have bigger fish to fry. But it seems like somebody keeps coming along and eating all our fish.

Q. For those who say Smoltz’s taken less money to stay with the Braves before, how do you explain why this time is different?

A. It’s easy. If the Braves would have handled this right from the beginning and gone ahead and bitten the bullet and offered him a contract, knowing that when John Smoltz sets his mind to it and says he’s coming back and is going to be back at full strength, that the second another team came into this, the Braves should have taken him aside and said ‘What do we have to do to make this work.’ John Smoltz has earned that respect. We’ve all taken less money to stay here, but the fact of the matter is that John Smoltz has nothing else to prove individually. He wants to win. Who has the best chance to win right now? Boston.

Q. Hard to take in, isn’t it?

A. Never, even in a million years did I think this day would come for John Smoltz. I never did. He was the one guy, I honestly thought that everybody would go somewhere else before John would, just for the simple fact that his family here in Atlanta, the school, all the extracurricular stuff that he does off the field, never thought this would happen. So that ought to tell you how disrespected he feels.

Q. Did you have a chance to tell him you’ll miss him, what he’s meant to this organization?

A. We were so upset and so shocked that this is happening. We didn’t even really think about what could happen, that we’d be facing each other, that he could be pitching at the Ted for Boston, that we could be facing him in Fenway Park. We didn’t even allow ourselves to think about that kind of stuff. We’re so shocked that this is actually taking place and that he’s moving on and playing for a different team. I wished him good luck. It’s like losing a brother. We’ve been to war with each other for the last 17 years. Now that’s not going to happen anymore. It’s very upsetting.

Q. Does this send the wrong message to players and fans?

A. This can only hurt.

Wow, Chipper's really broken up about this.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers