Baldelli and Smoltz to the Red Sox? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baldelli and Smoltz to the Red Sox?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baldelli and Smoltz to the Red Sox?

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Nice signings for relatively no money. Rocco will be able to spell Drew for his annual DL stint and Smoltz, if healthy, adds a lot of depth. High risk on both, but high reward as well. Well done! ;-D
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:I've been wondering why the Yankees didn't grab Smoltz. He's $5 million dollars cheaper than the offer they made to Pettitte and he has a ton more potential. I don't get it.

X2 and it also surprises me that other teams didn't take more of an interest. Perhaps he made it clear where he would and wouldn't go.

I think a lot of teams don't expect Smoltz to come back fromt he shoulder surgery.

I don't think Boston would drop five million to find out. They usually do their best to make savvy cost-effective moves. Granted they are in more of a position than most teams to take these risks, but it's not like this is the Penny or Colon signing.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:03 pm

Well said, Aqua. Smoltz may not throw a single pitch this year and the Sox are one of the few teams that can take that risk at 5 million.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby nsulham » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:08 pm

As far as Smoltz's shoulder is concerned, all reports are that he's looked great in the side sessions he's had this offseason. Obviously the Sox liked what they saw in the medical reports enough to do their due diligence and bring him in. Not to mention with the depth they have, they can afford to let him heal up completely and take his time and come back when he's ready.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby WyldStallyn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:15 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:I don't think Boston would drop five million to find out. They usually do their best to make savvy cost-effective moves. Granted they are in more of a position than most teams to take these risks, but it's not like this is the Penny or Colon signing.

drew and lugo were very cost effective %-6

im surprised sox fans give theo a pass on his many bad moves. but i guess these ones make up for them
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:50 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:I don't think Boston would drop five million to find out. They usually do their best to make savvy cost-effective moves. Granted they are in more of a position than most teams to take these risks, but it's not like this is the Penny or Colon signing.

I fail to see the difference between this and the Penny signing. $5 million for a injury prone talented pitcher.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:58 pm

WyldStallyn wrote:

im surprised sox fans give theo a pass on his many bad moves. but i guess these ones make up for them

That granny in game 6 a few years ago was perhaps the most important play in their WS run!
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MikeeDee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:00 pm

WyldStallyn wrote:

Winning makes everything better. :-]
He once hit a ball between my legs so hard that my center-fielder caught it on the fly backing up against the wall.

If Satch (Paige) and I were pitching on the same team, we would clinch the pennant by July fourth and go fishing until World Series time.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:04 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

I fail to see the difference between this and the Penny signing. $5 million for a injury prone talented pitcher.

Smoltz is not injury-prone per se. He's old, had one major injury and might be breaking down. I guess the signings aren't different, I just think they are smart. There's nothing wrong with a team in Boston's position taking chances on players that are perceived to be risks. That's why I don't understand why more teams don't make runs at guys like these. It really can't hurt.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Maris09 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:23 pm

decoy562 wrote:If the Braves refuse to bring Smoltz back after 21 years, I am going to boycott them.

You suck Braves :-t

Huge Braves fan here, and I do not see this move as a slight against the Braves. I see this as a mutual parting for the benefit of a superb and class act player, going into what is most likely his last year. The Braves, IMO, have zero chance at contention this year, and missing on several free agents has not helped their chances. Going to the Red Sox, while it kills me, is better for Smoltzy because he's got a chance at another Championship. I think the Braves would have brought him back if it made sense for their team and for Smoltz.

Seems to me like the number of and type of pitchers the Red Sox are accumulating should allow them to have a 6 man rotation.....something that will help keep guys like Smotlz and Penny healthy. This also lets them leave Masterson in the bullpen. Good move for them I think.
Last edited by Maris09 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers