Cigarettes are WORSE than steroids according to Orza - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cigarettes are WORSE than steroids according to Orza

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cigarettes are WORSE than steroids according to Orza

Postby KPucks » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:37 pm

Saturday, March 6, 2004

ESPN: Ana@Sea Mon., 2:05 PM ET
ESPN: Ana@Sea Mon., 2:05 PM ET

By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

Public pressure apparently isn't going to make the Major League Baseball Players Association give in.

Orza

While Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig once again advocated a zero-tolerance drug policy with harsher penalties than the one the league negotiated with the union two years ago, Gene Orza, chief operating officer for the Major League Baseball Players Association, hasn't changed his stance on the issue despite mounting criticism of what some have called a lenient testing system in light of the BALCO steroid scandal.

Orza, who contends that it isn't the job of the union to protect players from things that potentially could be harmful to them, at the possible expense of their privacy, told ESPN.com on Saturday that he didn't compare steroids to cigarettes in a statement earlier in the week that spurred responses by Selig and Rep. John Sweeney (R-NY).

"Cigarettes are worse," Orza said. "And I didn't say that steroids shouldn't be prohibited. They in fact are. The point, conveniently overlooked by Mr. Sweeney, is that it is not banning steroids to which we object, but the manner in which he proposes -- to detect use, the unlimited, forced analysis of someone's urine, even in the absence of a particularized suspicion. I know Congressman Sweeney hasn't read our Joint Drug Agreement. But I didn't know he hadn't read the Fourth Amendment [search and seizure without probable cause]."

On Friday, Selig spoke to reporters at the Padres-Angels spring training game in Tempe, Ariz. Hours later, Sweeney, one of four politicians who introduced the Anabolic Control Act of 2004, responded to comments made by Orza, who suggested it wasn't the union's job to agree to unlawful tests of steroids, which he had "no doubt that they are not worse than cigarettes."

"Mr. Orza's flippant remarks comparing steroids and cigarettes suggest he is sadly misinformed on this issue," Sweeney said, in a statement. "Every major athletic association except baseball bans steroids and steroid precursors. The IOC routinely strips athletes of Olympic medals if they are found to have broken the rules. That's why Ben Johnson is now nothing more than the answer to a trivia question instead of a former world-record holding gold medalist."

The legislation calls for an updating of the performance-enhancing drugs list and seeks to greater penalize the movement of performance enhancers within 1,000 feet of sports facilities.

"The union needs to be reaching out, not shutting its doors," Sweeney said. "This isn't in the best interest of baseball, and it's not in the best interest of America's youth. If they won't do it, I hope the players speak up and demand that their union bosses do the right thing."

On Thursday, Orza cited two national studies on androstenedione, a steroid precursor. One done at Iowa State University concluded that the supplement, when taken in doses suggested by the manufacturer, does not increase muscle mass. The other study, jointly commissioned by the league and the union, concluded that if a person takes more than the suggested dosage, andro could increase muscle mass.

"You can take two aspirin, you can take 40, but should we in fact regulate aspirin sales more than we do now, because if you exceed the recommended dosage, it will have harmful effects?" Orza asked.

On Friday, Selig refused to specifically comment on Orza's statements, only saying, "I read them, I thought about them, and I don't have anything further to say about them."

This season, players will be randomly tested, after five to seven percent of players tested positive for steroids last season. Under the agreement, which expires in Dec. 2006, the first time a player tests positive for steroids, he will have to get treatment. For the second through fifth violations, players face suspensions of 15 days up to a year and fines of $10,000 up to $100,000. A five-time offender in the minor leagues is permanently expelled.

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at mailto:Darren.rovell@espn3.com.

Apparently cigarettes aren't just as bad as steroids, they're worse! Or so they are according to Orza. What an idiot. He just keeps digging deeper and deeper.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:44 pm

There's already a thread about this.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby KPucks » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:46 pm

No, before he just said that steroids were as bad as cigarettes. Now, when asked to clarify, he said that cigarettes are worse.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby LBJackal » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:49 pm

OK well it's the same topic. I don't think it warrants a new thread.....but whatever.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DJUmperPSU » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:34 am

lets end it here
DJUmperPSU
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:37 am

well cigarrettes may be worse, doesnt make steroids good for anybody, so why are we saying this.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Dude86 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:45 am

last time I checked smoking cigarettes didn't shrink your balls. And anything that shrinks your balls is much worse than anything that doesn't!
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:34 am

I think that taking away your ability to breath among other normal activities is much worse than "shrinking your balls."

Look people, both are bad. Cigarettes are legal, and they kill millions of people a year. Steroids just mess with your body in so many ways that I can't even fathom the problems they cause.
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Return to Baseball Leftovers