$10K Found In Cracker Box - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

$10K Found In Cracker Box

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

$10K Found In Cracker Box

Postby smoovethug » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:05 am

Just heard this on the radio and came here to see if it was posted or not and was surprised it wasn't. Moral/ethical dilemma of sorts so I ask what would you do? I'd be suspicious but I most likely wouldn't willingly return the box. 8-o And for all that the lady gets no reward and no thank you.

IRVINE, Calif. - The box of crackers Debra Rogoff bought from the grocery store had some crackerjack in it — an envelope stuffed with $10,000.

Yet the Irvine woman was more curious than ecstatic about her daughter's find. After all, who would leave money in such a place?

"We just thought, 'This is someone's money,'" she said. "We would never feel good about spending it."

Rather than go on a shopping spree, the family called police and was initially told the money could be part of a drug drop.

Police later heard from store managers at Whole Foods in Tustin that an elderly woman had come in a few days earlier, hysterical because she had mistakenly returned a box of crackers with her life savings inside. In a mix-up the store restocked the box rather than composting it.

The Lake Forest woman, whose identity was not released, had lost faith in her bank and decided the box would be a safer place for the money.

Luckily for her, the box of Annie's Sour Cream and Onion Cheddar Bunny crackers were bought by the Rogoffs, who discovered the crisp $100 bills in an unmarked white envelope on Oct. 10.

The Rogoffs never heard from the woman and didn't receive a reward, but Rogoff did return to Whole Foods a couple weeks later.

"I asked them if I could have another box of crackers," she said with a laugh. The store obliged.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28400102/

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: $10K Found In Cracker Box

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:09 am

I would have returned the money, too. It's not mine.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby smoovethug » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:12 am

I would have been a bit nervous but I might have convinced myself that it was part of some promotion that the company was running. How annoyed would you be if you got no reward and thank you after doing the "right thing"???

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:15 am

Yeah I most likely would have returned the money as well. If it was a few bucks then that is a different story.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:16 am

Who returns crackers?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:26 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Who returns crackers?

Old people.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Old_Style » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:52 am

Finders keepers....
:-D

No, I would've turned the money in.
Where is the money supposed to go if nobody claims it?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby markj11 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:30 pm

smoovethug wrote:Just heard this on the radio and came here to see if it was posted or not and was surprised it wasn't. Moral/ethical dilemma of sorts so I ask what would you do? I'd be suspicious but I most likely wouldn't willingly return the box. 8-o And for all that the lady gets no reward and no thank you.

IRVINE, Calif. - The box of crackers Debra Rogoff bought from the grocery store had some crackerjack in it — an envelope stuffed with $10,000.

Yet the Irvine woman was more curious than ecstatic about her daughter's find. After all, who would leave money in such a place?

"We just thought, 'This is someone's money,'" she said. "We would never feel good about spending it."

Rather than go on a shopping spree, the family called police and was initially told the money could be part of a drug drop.

Police later heard from store managers at Whole Foods in Tustin that an elderly woman had come in a few days earlier, hysterical because she had mistakenly returned a box of crackers with her life savings inside. In a mix-up the store restocked the box rather than composting it.

The Lake Forest woman, whose identity was not released, had lost faith in her bank and decided the box would be a safer place for the money.

Luckily for her, the box of Annie's Sour Cream and Onion Cheddar Bunny crackers were bought by the Rogoffs, who discovered the crisp $100 bills in an unmarked white envelope on Oct. 10.

The Rogoffs never heard from the woman and didn't receive a reward, but Rogoff did return to Whole Foods a couple weeks later.

"I asked them if I could have another box of crackers," she said with a laugh. The store obliged.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28400102/

I like the part about the store saying it was mistake that they didn't compost it. In stead of composting a returned box of food, that had been opened no less, they just restock it. I would never shop there again.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:32 pm

I think it's easy for somebody to say they would have returned the money. Have any of you ever found $10,000 chillin in a cracker box? I honestly can't say what I would do because it sure would be tempting to keep it.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Next

Return to General Talk