CBS Sportsline Mock Draft "Karabell is not smart" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

CBS Sportsline Mock Draft "Karabell is not smart"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

CBS Sportsline Mock Draft "Karabell is not smart"

Postby kentx12 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:18 pm

http://fantasynews.sportsline.com/fanta ... y/11177946

What struck me funny was looking over Karabell's draft. The 1st round he took Utley at pick 9. Well that might not have been so bad but I wouldnt touch Utley there till we find out how and when he will return for sure, but after that check out his next few picks. Longoria with the 16th pick, a little risky for me again. CC in the 3rd round at pick #33 followed by B. Webb with pick #40, Victorino at pick #56 "not that bad IMO" and then followed by D. Jeter. Yes Jeter ahead of Tulo, Furcal and others I would take ahead of Jeter. A few other picks I thought were way off were Delgado in the 8th, Pena in the 9th, and Wolf in the later rounds.

How does this man make a living giving advise on fantasy baseball?

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: CBS Sportsline Mock Draft "Karabell is not smart"

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:37 pm

kentx12 wrote:http://fantasynews.sportsline.com/fantasybaseball/story/11177946

What struck me funny was looking over Karabell's draft. The 1st round he took Utley at pick 9. Well that might not have been so bad but I wouldnt touch Utley there till we find out how and when he will return for sure, but after that check out his next few picks. Longoria with the 16th pick, a little risky for me again. CC in the 3rd round at pick #33 followed by B. Webb with pick #40, Victorino at pick #56 "not that bad IMO" and then followed by D. Jeter. Yes Jeter ahead of Tulo, Furcal and others I would take ahead of Jeter. A few other picks I thought were way off were Delgado in the 8th, Pena in the 9th, and Wolf in the later rounds.

9th is a tough spot this year. You can argue that it's too early to take Rollins, Howard, Holliday, Hamilton, Johan... I probably would have taken Teixeira, but if not, I do believe I would have gone Utley there as well.

As for Longoria 16th, I just saw rump take him in the 2nd round of the Cafeholics Mock. Granted, it was 23rd Overall, but if Karabell wanted him as his 3rd baseman, he had the option to take him 16th or not get him at all. Again, I don't think it's a God awful pick, and not nearly as bad as the Lincecum pick immediately after him or the Morneau pick after that, and don't even start on the Pedroia pick at 24th. Safest pick for him probably would've been one of Beltran, Berkman, Soriano, or Lee, but again, I don't think Longoria is terrible here.

Sabathia in the third I don't care for at all, but I like to use the middle rounds to take my SP, same as I remember you doing kent, so it's a matter of strategy, really. He clearly decided to grab 2 Aces in Rounds 3 and 4, and he could've certainly done worse than Sabathia and Webb. Again, not a big fan of either pick, but I'm not really huge on any of the players who were selected between his third and fourth picks, either. If he was going to go SP, I'm not sure why he passed on Peavy. An interesting note that 5 SP flew off the board in the first 4 Rounds -- I don't imagine that happening in many drafts I participate in this year, though there's always that one guy, like Karabell in this draft, who decides he's going to be the guy to get the Ace(s).
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Eagle Baseball » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:17 am

I like his draft better than this:

Rototimes
25 C Brian McCann (ATL)
49 C Joe Mauer (MIN)
240 1B Casey Kotchman (ATL)
24 2B Dustin Pedroia (BOS)
96 2B Robinson Cano (NYY)
1 SS Hanley Ramirez (FLA)
72 3B Chipper Jones (ATL)
121 3B Ryan Zimmerman (WAS)
73 OF Ryan Ludwick (STL)
120 OF Chris B. Young (ARI)
144 OF Nick Swisher (NYY)
193 OF Rick Ankiel (STL)
264 OF Adam Lind (TOR)
265 OF David DeJesus (KC)
48 P Cole Hamels (PHI)
97 P Chad Billingsley (LA)
145 P Matt Cain (SF)
168 P Chad Qualls (ARI)
169 P John Danks (CHW)
192 P Joel Hanrahan (WAS)
216 P Trevor Hoffman (SD)
217 P Fausto Carmona (CLE)
241 P Hiroki Kuroda (LA)

I realize you start 2 C's but to take 2 with top 50 picks? He also took 2 2B (Pedroia at 24) with top 100 picks. Picking Chipper at 71 (which is a solid pick imo) means you likely need another 3B fairly early (Zimmerman at 121). Those picks left him extemely weak at 1B and OF imo.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:26 am

kentx12 wrote:http://fantasynews.sportsline.com/fantasybaseball/story/11177946

If you look at his roster from top to bottom, I'd actually argue it's really not that bad. I don't have a problem with the Delgado and Pena picks though. Definitely some questionable picks, but the end result was a lot better than I had anticipated it being. Also as the previous poster said, there were far worse teams drafted.

Note: I don't care for Karabell myself.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Matthias » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:06 pm

Didn't Karabell win the league he played in against a host of guys from the FBC?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Third Day » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:41 am

I think Karabell may have been goofing this draft because his mantra over the years is that you always take bats in the early rounds.

Cockcroft seems to be the best FLB owner at ESPN. Pretty intelligent writer also.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 274)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:23 pm

Eagle Baseball wrote:I like his draft better than this:

Rototimes
25 C Brian McCann (ATL)
49 C Joe Mauer (MIN)
240 1B Casey Kotchman (ATL)
24 2B Dustin Pedroia (BOS)
96 2B Robinson Cano (NYY)
1 SS Hanley Ramirez (FLA)
72 3B Chipper Jones (ATL)
121 3B Ryan Zimmerman (WAS)
73 OF Ryan Ludwick (STL)
120 OF Chris B. Young (ARI)
144 OF Nick Swisher (NYY)
193 OF Rick Ankiel (STL)
264 OF Adam Lind (TOR)
265 OF David DeJesus (KC)
48 P Cole Hamels (PHI)
97 P Chad Billingsley (LA)
145 P Matt Cain (SF)
168 P Chad Qualls (ARI)
169 P John Danks (CHW)
192 P Joel Hanrahan (WAS)
216 P Trevor Hoffman (SD)
217 P Fausto Carmona (CLE)
241 P Hiroki Kuroda (LA)

I realize you start 2 C's but to take 2 with top 50 picks? He also took 2 2B (Pedroia at 24) with top 100 picks. Picking Chipper at 71 (which is a solid pick imo) means you likely need another 3B fairly early (Zimmerman at 121). Those picks left him extemely weak at 1B and OF imo.

McCann at 25? lol

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers