Anyone have and info on Dayan Viciedo? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Anyone have and info on Dayan Viciedo?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone have and info on Dayan Viciedo?

Postby Chiefscards » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:28 pm

All I've heard is that this kids supposed to be a stud. Did Kenny Williams find the next Alexi Ramerez down in Cuba? With the only real sure things in the Sox IF being Konerko at first, and Alexi at SS, can this kid come in and take 3rd from Fields or 2b from Goetz or whoever's playing 2nd?
Any fool can piss on the floor....may you be the hero that craps on the ceiling!
Chiefscards
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone have and info on Dayan Viciedo?

Postby kab21 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:07 am

The only thing that makes Dayan similar to Alexei is that both defected from Cuba and they signed with the Sox. He's more similar to a young Miguel Cabrera. It's tough to get a read on how good he is/will be and how MLB-ready he is. I'm guessing he spends some time in the minors and if a couple of players collapse or get injured he might get called up later in the season.

And he won't be playing 2B ever.

Here's a link to projectprospect where they talked about him some and have some videos of him. He's a big guy for a 20 yr old. http://www.projectprospect.com/forums/v ... f=1&t=3759
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:26 am

kab21 wrote:The only thing that makes Dayan similar to Alexei is that both defected from Cuba and they signed with the Sox. He's more similar to a young Miguel Cabrera. It's tough to get a read on how good he is/will be and how MLB-ready he is. I'm guessing he spends some time in the minors and if a couple of players collapse or get injured he might get called up later in the season.

Here's a link to projectprospect where they talked about him some and have some videos of him. He's a big guy for a 20 yr old. http://www.projectprospect.com/forums/v ... f=1&t=3759

I wouldn't say he's a young Miguel Cabrera as that would probably be Cuba's Yulieski Gourriel, who is still playing in Cuba. Viciedo is pretty good but wouldn't say he has elite ability.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Wheelhouse » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
kab21 wrote:The only thing that makes Dayan similar to Alexei is that both defected from Cuba and they signed with the Sox. He's more similar to a young Miguel Cabrera. It's tough to get a read on how good he is/will be and how MLB-ready he is. I'm guessing he spends some time in the minors and if a couple of players collapse or get injured he might get called up later in the season.

I wouldn't say he's a young Miguel Cabrera as that would probably be Cuba's Yulieski Gourriel, who is still playing in Cuba. Viciedo is pretty good but wouldn't say he has elite ability.

i agree, miggy ain't a great comp for viciedo........while he does project to hit for power, he doesn't look like a guy who will sport a good average.....he's most likely to fall in the .260-.280 range

he'll also won't play 5 years at 3B.....he could end up being moved to 1B or corner OF by this time next year......he's very unlikely to stick at 3B for any amount of time
Wheelhouse
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby slickterp » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:26 pm

Agreed. He won't be playing 2B in a million years and won't stick at 3B either, most likely ending up in the OF. I have heard some places thathis workethic is weak, but I have nothing to back that up, just hearsay. I think that he has potential, but a few months in the minors will tell us a bit more about how good he is.
slickterp
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Viciedo moves to 1B. What does this mean? Well, apart from the fact that I predicted this move, it means Viciedo is now unblocked at 1B since Konerko likely isn't coming back and could see action in the majors in 2010.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/v ... tions.html
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball