Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:There goes the Carlos Villanueva sleeper closer bandwagon... or in Havok's case I guess it just means he can get him a few rounds later. I guess that's what I'll do in my 20-team league, though I'll feel bad betting that a guy like Hoffman will fail.

Well, this move sure gives Heath Bell some value.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 101)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:01 pm

Miller Park isn't as much a hitter's park as some seem to think. Baseball-reference has their multi-year park factor as an even 100, a.k.a pretty much right in the middle. It's average. It's a little home run happy, especially for lefties. Now of course Petco scores an 89, making it one of the bigger pitchers' parks in the leagues. Of course we all knew that. What's interesting (or concerning?) is that Hoffman was better on the road last year.

His peripherals still seem pretty solid...about a K/IP, 46 K with only 9 BB. HR rate was out of whack (8 HR in 45.3 IP), which is way over his career rate. It contributed pretty significantly to his ERA jump to 3.77. Could be a fluke, could end up being a trend. I guess we'll find out. Either way, it's only a 1 year deal, and it allows Villanueva to throw more innings in a 7th/8th inning, Carlos Marmol-like role.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AuburnTigers » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:41 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:There goes the Carlos Villanueva sleeper closer bandwagon... or in Havok's case I guess it just means he can get him a few rounds later. I guess that's what I'll do in my 20-team league, though I'll feel bad betting that a guy like Hoffman will fail.

How valuable does Bell now become as the closer....top 20 closer?...top 15?
AuburnTigers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:11 pm

Havok1517 wrote:

I picked up Bell last year in my 20 team league because I though Hoffman would break down. Sadly he was probably my 3rd most valuable pitcher. What a disaster.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 517)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:36 pm

before everyone goes crazy, lets wait to see if the padres do something silly like trade for huston street or sign jason isringhausen.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Old_Style » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:40 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:before everyone goes crazy, lets wait to see if the padres do something silly like trade for huston street or sign jason isringhausen.

Any rumors?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:48 pm

Old_Style wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:before everyone goes crazy, lets wait to see if the padres do something silly like trade for huston street or sign jason isringhausen.

Any rumors?

Well, I'm not sure Izzy will be ready to start the season and the most interested team I hear is the Rangers. Also, I doubt the Rockies would trade Street to anyone in the NL West.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 101)

Postby Old_Style » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:51 pm

I mean any rumors about the Padres going out and trying to sign/trade for a closer. Not necessarily just Street or Isringhausen.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kab21 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:03 am

I highly doubt the Padres are interested in spending money in the relief market this offseason. They know they are going to be bad, there's no reason to spend in order to save an extra 2 games. And I think there are some intriguing arms in their bullpen also.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 517)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:06 am

kab21 wrote:

I highly doubt the Padres are interested in spending money in the relief market this offseason. They know they are going to be bad, there's no reason to spend in order to save an extra 2 games. And I think there are some intriguing arms in their bullpen also.

i completely agree and think heath bell is fully capable but hes never been a closer before and you know how managers and gm's can be when it comes to their closers.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers