Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers

Postby NZ Eff » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:27 pm

Why is it damn near impossible for top sportsmen to ever retire while on top. Whoever he signs with will regret it bigtime.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1480
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers

Postby Element » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:43 pm

Broxton is much more valuable to the Dodgers when he can throw 75+ innings ... which would not happen if he were the closer. Trevor only had a couple of really bad games too that really killed his numbers. Overall, he was solid for the most part.
Image
Element
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4909
(Past Year: 719)
Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:48 pm

NZ Eff wrote:Why is it damn near impossible for top sportsmen to ever retire while on top. Whoever he signs with will regret it bigtime.

Cause he is being offered more money than most of us will ever see in our lifetime.
Cause he never got a WS ring.
Cause he's still pretty good.
Cause he doesn't want to believe the wheels are going to fall off.
Cause he has played ball all his life and that's all he wants to do.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 337)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:52 pm

jlm53089 wrote:I wonder if Hoffman takes the deal?
And what becomes of Broxton?


Broxton's back to setting up.

The Dodgers aren't that keen on having Broxton close because he has trouble closing out innings deeper into the year where his pitch selection is questionable. Some in the organization question his stamina to efficiently close out games, I suppose. Nonetheless, I'd rather have Broxton close just for him to learn on cutting back those wasted pitches in huge situations.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers

Postby ayebatter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:02 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
jlm53089 wrote:I wonder if Hoffman takes the deal?
And what becomes of Broxton?


Broxton's back to setting up.

The Dodgers aren't that keen on having Broxton close because he has trouble closing out innings deeper into the year where his pitch selection is questionable. Some in the organization question his stamina to efficiently close out games, I suppose. Nonetheless, I'd rather have Broxton close just for him to learn on cutting back those wasted pitches in huge situations.



Agreed, but you have to admit that having Hoffman sit next to Broxton all season will be as good as having Maddux sit next to Kershaw last yr. Maybe a little mentoring from the English speaking Hoffman will help more than Saito did.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12209
(Past Year: 1299)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers

Postby stumpak » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:38 pm

Broxton is a shaky closer, and maybe not the guy you want on a team that aspires to the pennant. That said, Hoffman is not a slam dunk to be much of an improvement and carries his own risk. In other words, the Dodgers will be stuck with two sub-optimal options, which is classic Colletti. At least these guys cost less than Jones/Pierre and could contribute in other ways.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2729
Joined: 9 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers

Postby 18 and 1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:25 pm

stumpak wrote:Broxton is a shaky closer, and maybe not the guy you want on a team that aspires to the pennant. That said, Hoffman is not a slam dunk to be much of an improvement and carries his own risk. In other words, the Dodgers will be stuck with two sub-optimal options, which is classic Colletti. At least these guys cost less than Jones/Pierre and could contribute in other ways.


His stats have been pretty damn good for a few years now. Does he just not have it in the 9th?
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 149
Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:59 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I've already lost Arredondo to an unnecessary closer signing, losing Broxton would just be the icing on my closer cake. :-°

Mmmmmm, closer cake. :-B
Image
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3412
(Past Year: 67)
Joined: 3 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Don't call it a comeback.

Re: Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers

Postby WittyC » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:28 pm

ayebatter wrote:Agreed, but you have to admit that having Hoffman sit next to Broxton all season will be as good as having Maddux sit next to Kershaw last yr. Maybe a little mentoring from the English speaking Hoffman will help more than Saito did.


This is a really good point, especially when you consider the vast difference in the pitching styles of Hoffman and Broxton. Imagine if Hoffman could help Broxton develop a decent change (Broxton only threw his change on 2.7 percent of his pitches in '08). Broxton with a Hoffman-esque change? :-? :-? :-? :-o
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1096
Joined: 3 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dillon, CO

Re: Hoffman talking to Brewers/Dodgers

Postby kab21 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:41 pm

stumpak wrote:Broxton is a shaky closer, and maybe not the guy you want on a team that aspires to the pennant. That said, Hoffman is not a slam dunk to be much of an improvement and carries his own risk. In other words, the Dodgers will be stuck with two sub-optimal options, which is classic Colletti. At least these guys cost less than Jones/Pierre and could contribute in other ways.


It's not that Hoffman is better than Broxton, it's whether or not he's better than their current 7th/8th inning options. It doesn't matter who is actually the closer, what is important is the the whole bullpen.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 170)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact