Help for new leagues / improving existing ones - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help for new leagues / improving existing ones

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help for new leagues / improving existing ones

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:13 pm

What cool rules does your league have that you think differentiate it and make it a good league. May be categories, positions, draft rules, keeper leagues, fun smack talk rules, whatever.

For instance,

Roster settings:
My league has LF, CF, RF instead of OF, OF, OF which I think really adds a lot of strategy.

Categories:
We use OPS instead of BA, which feeds into the typical sabermetric bent of most fantasy players compared to the larger population

Draft order:
Instead of just giving the first pick to the last place team last year (it's a keeper league), we let the last place team pick their preferred draft slot. Some guys prefer to pick 4th instead of 1st. Others would prefer to pick 12th instead of 6th.

Minor Leagues:
Awesome. I highly recommend it. We have an 8-man minor league system. They can be kept forever until they lose rookie eligibility (so I can keep Jay Bruce in the 27th round next year) A guy in my league has Lincecum in the 24th!

Keepers
Most leagues I see you just have a set number of keepers. Everyone keeps 6 or 8 or whatever, and then the draft. This results in the best players in the league being kept every year, which is kind of lame (IMO). We do it based on round drafted. And the cost goes up 3 rounds every year. I drafted McLouth in the 20th round last year and Ervin Santana in the 21st, so I can keep them in the 17th and 18th round this year, 14th and 15th round next year and 11th and 12th round the year after that. 3 Years tops, the end. Everyone back to the pool. This makes it so nobody has Albert Pujols for 8 years, and it also makes it so no one drafted in the first 3 rounds is able to be kept the next year.

The league's been around for 5 years, and so there was no feasible way to do an auction at that time. I'd love to move the league over to an auction, but I think the switchover would be a PITA.

What little quirks does your league have that you think are cool that other leagues may be able to co-opt?
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help for new leagues / improving existing ones

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:46 am

Just out of curiosity, what provider (Yahoo, CBS...) do you use for your league?

We also use LF, CF, RF and I agree that it affects your strategy greatly. We also use 4 SP, 2 RP and 1 P after having used 4 SP and 1 RP for the longest time. We have a 30 innings pitched minimum and we also use two UT spots instead of MI and CI.

Points wise, we go 11 X 11 H2H. We wanted to switch to a points league but Yahoo can't award points (at the moment) for ERA, WHIP, AVG, OPS, etc. CBS does, but a lot of guys in our league won't embrace a switch to CBS hence my question to you.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby tavo2311 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:35 am

Draft order - We also use the choose your spot system (Kentucky Derby Style we call it). However we go one step further. Instead of last place choosing first, and down the line. The consolation bracket is played for those choices. So everyone still has something to look forward to at playoff time. The winner of the consolation bracket gets first choice, etc.. For the playoff teams, it just follows NFL style, i.e. 3rd place game and 5th place game mean nothing. The two losers of the semi's for example break their tie by reg season record, and same for two losers of 1st round (we let 6 teams in). I highle reccommend at least the consolation part, because it extends the season for more teams, and gives people with frustrating seasons something to do. This year for example, Pujols' contract ran out, so we all knew he is back in the pool this season. The consolation bracket was played for Pujols for all intents and purposes.
tavo2311
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:34 pm

The consolation bracket would be great, but we don't do H2H (I'm in CBS, by the way).

And actually we don't even do worst team picks first. It was just a little complex to get into in that longerp post.

In efforts to curb outright "punting" from teams that are out of it, we've made it so the 7th place team gets the first selection of draft slot. Followed by 8-12, then the 6th place team followed by 5-1.

Therefore the better teams get the worst slot, the badly mediocre teams get the best slot and the atrocious team gets penalized and only get a middle slot.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Matthias » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:46 pm

The best quirk I do in my league is have stats that are positives and negatives, so we don't just have wins, we have Wins minus Losses. We don't just have steals, we have Steals - Caught Stealing. Saves are Saves + Holds + Reliever Wins - Reliever Losses - Blown Saves.

People really get into the whole sucker punch aspect of it when they lose 2 or 3 of their precious Wins in one day. It also provides a strong incentive not to churn pitchers.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner