Prime 9 - Greatest Centerfielders - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Prime 9 - Greatest Centerfielders

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Prime 9 - Greatest Centerfielders

Postby thedude » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:19 pm

I'd go:

Mays
Cobb
Mantle

Mays being the most complete all around player.

Mantle's range factor would show him to be a below average center fielder.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baizboll » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:01 pm

thedude wrote:Mantle's range factor would show him to be a below average center fielder.

When healthy, Mantle was an very good CFer. He had outstanding speed with a good arm and could chase them down with the best of them, excluding Willy.
"Baizboll bin bery, bery good to me!" ~ Chico Escuela

baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:54 pm

baizboll wrote:
thedude wrote:Mantle's range factor would show him to be a below average center fielder.

When healthy, Mantle was an very good CFer. He had outstanding speed with a good arm and could chase them down with the best of them, excluding Willy.

He might have had the ability to be a great center fielder, but over the course of his career he wasn't actually a good center fielder compared to Speaker and Mays who were two of the greatest center fielders to ever put on a glove.

I should add that Ty Cobb was not in the Mays/Speaker class either.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby baizboll » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 pm

thedude wrote:
baizboll wrote:

He might have had the ability to be a great center fielder, but over the course of his career he wasn't actually a good center fielder compared to Speaker and Mays who were two of the greatest center fielders to ever put on a glove.

Saying that Mantle was a below avg fielder and "he wasn't actually a good center fielder compared to Speaker and Mays who were two of the greatest center fielders to ever put on a glove" is a strangely worded comparison or comment. If Mays was the best fielder, obviously everyone else can only be no higher than 2nd best. But to say Mantle wasn't a good CFer just because he wasn't as good as Willie is a non sequitur. I saw Mantle play probably over 1000 games in CF and I thought he was quite a good fielder.
"Baizboll bin bery, bery good to me!" ~ Chico Escuela

baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:12 pm

baizboll wrote:
thedude wrote:
baizboll wrote:

Saying that Mantle was a below avg fielder and "he wasn't actually a good center fielder compared to Speaker and Mays who were two of the greatest center fielders to ever put on a glove" is a strangely worded comparison or comment. If Mays was the best fielder, obviously everyone else can only be no higher than 2nd best. But to say Mantle wasn't a good CFer just because he wasn't as good as Willie is a non sequitur. I saw Mantle play probably over 1000 games in CF and I thought he was quite a good fielder.

Maybe a pharpsed that poorly. I should have said, Mantle was a below average center fielder. In his career his range was worse than that of an average center fielder for the same period.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball History