J.C. Romero Tests Positive; Claims MLBPA Misled Him. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

J.C. Romero Tests Positive; Claims MLBPA Misled Him.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: J.C. Romero Tests Positive; Claims MLBPA Misled Him.

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Romero is a black eye on the sport. I can't wait until he just retires so we can put this whole era behind us.

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to declare you "naive" now for not realizing that Romero is just being railroaded by the press, and you're blindly following along with what they say. I'm pretty sure that's how that tack goes... :-b
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:06 pm

kab21 wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:
Nope I'm saying that there are definitely specific widely used supplements in the MLB. Why not just stick to those? Why take the chance on something you dont know anything about?

It was on MLB's approved list. And they found out something in July about it and didn't inform the MLBPA.

i dont see how its his fault at all actually and i think its a disgrace the MLBPA isnt backing him.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:29 pm

The supplement that Romero took wasn't on a approved list and the union has denied approving it, as Romero claims they did. I think that the MLBPA isn't backing him more forcefully because his only defense is that the banned substance wasn't listed on the label and this is a flimsy excuse at best. I don't think this is an egregious infraction but at the end of the day he's responsible for what he put in his own body.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:42 pm

another aspect that i think is pathetic is that the mlb offered to reduce the suspension to 25 days if romero admitted guilt.

if the supplemental wasnt on the banned list or the ingredient wasnt listed under the banned substances, how could he know?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:45 pm

part of a statement that the MLBPA sent its players in november..

"The most telling quote in any of the reporting so far came from a November letter that the union sent to players. Quoting from the ESPN.com story, which cited the letter:"
"We have previously told you there is no reason to believe a supplement bought at a U.S. based retail store could cause you to test positive under our Drug Program. That is no longer true. We have recently learned of three substances which can be bought over the counter at stores in the United States that will cause you to test positive. These three supplements were purchased at a GNC and Vitamin Shoppe in the U.S."

and also the statement from the union themselves...

For its part, the union issued a statement:

"Mitre and Romero both legally purchased nutritional supplements from national chain
stores in the United States. Nothing on the labels of those supplements indicated that they
contained a trace amount of a substance prohibited under Major League Baseball's Joint Drug
Prevention and Treatment Program. Neither player intentionally ingested this prohibited
substance, but the arbitrator nevertheless found, wrongly in our view, that the players' conduct
violated the Program’s "no fault or negligence" standard.

they are basically saying they disagree with the suspensions and the ruling.

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:50 am

rookies and cream wrote:
Do we have to reverse the decision on the sig bet between you and Aussie? :-b

OH. MY .GOD

8-o

So when are you wearing your cool Scott Linebrink sig?
I'll make this one }:-)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:20 pm

not.gonna.happen.

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby smoovethug » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:48 am

What are the chances of him coming back after the suspension and not being the same pitcher?

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers