J.C. Romero Tests Positive; Claims MLBPA Misled Him. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

J.C. Romero Tests Positive; Claims MLBPA Misled Him.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: J.C. Romero Tests Positive; Claims MLBPA Misled Him.

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:08 am

"There seems to be some confusion in testimony during the October arbitration hearing. According to Romero, Lien told him to get a second opinion; Romero took the supplement to a second nutritionist, who cleared it. In the hearing, Lien testified to that fact, but at another time he said he suggested Romero not take it. Romero in no way blames Lien."

If you have to take the supplement to a second nutritionist you probably shouldn't take it. Sorry Romero but in this day and age is pays to be skeptical...

This guy doesn't feel bad for romero...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3812334

While Major League Baseball never said J.C. Romero tried to cheat, the 33-year-old reliever who won the third and clinching games of the 2008 World Series has been ruled guilty of "negligence" and will be suspended for the first 50 games of the 2009 season.
Romero
Romero

Romero said on Monday that he bought a supplement from a GNC store in Cherry Hill, N.J., last July. The Players Association had told players the supplement was acceptable, but now the Philadelphia Phillies left-hander will receive a suspension and lose $1.25 million.

"I still cannot see where I did something wrong," Romero said. "There is nothing that should take away from the rings of my teammates. I didn't cheat. I tried to follow the rules."

looks like this could go on...

Do we have to reverse the decision on the sig bet between you and Aussie? :-b
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 46)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:21 pm

Romero is a black eye on the sport. I can't wait until he just retires so we can put this whole era behind us.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Romero is a black eye on the sport. I can't wait until he just retires so we can put this whole era behind us.

:-b :-b

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:04 pm

I'd like to side with Romero on this one. When a formal document from your union tells you it's okay, I don't see the problem.

But his official charge was "negligence." I think that's a bit different that out-and-out cheating. There may be other evidence that supports that claim, though I do think it's a weird that negligence was placed in the CBA on this.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby jlm53089 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:05 pm

I still say ban him, and strip the Phillies of their title.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby kab21 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:15 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:"There seems to be some confusion in testimony during the October arbitration hearing. According to Romero, Lien told him to get a second opinion; Romero took the supplement to a second nutritionist, who cleared it. In the hearing, Lien testified to that fact, but at another time he said he suggested Romero not take it. Romero in no way blames Lien."

If you have to take the supplement to a second nutritionist you probably shouldn't take it. Sorry Romero but in this day and age is pays to be skeptical...

This could be the case for all OTC supplements. You're suggesting that players take no supplements at all because there could be an unlisted ingredient in there. Romero (whom as a Twins fan I don't have fond memories) took a supplement that was approved by the MLB and twice checked with a nutritionist to make sure it was okay. I'm all for the crack down on steroids and HGH, but pretty soon players won't be able to take a multi-vitamin.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 519)

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:25 pm

thats what bothers me it seems there is not defined line on what can be taken. Over such a long season and demand placed on the players, certain products which dont dont boost/give unfair advantages should be taken. I dont see the problem with taking product which makes players feel better with playing the sport they are paid and expected to play at that high of level. I just think baseball is getting too picky and have to be more defined if they are going to crack down on players. 1/3 of a season for testing positive for a substance which wasn't even listed on the product purchaced at a GMC is rediculous :-t. He had no intention of cheating the season is a grind even more so for a RP. and for those saying anything about the playoffs relax
Romero was tested again on Oct. 1 before the start of the playoffs. The results were negative. He pitched eight times in the postseason and was the winning pitcher in Games 3 and 5 of the World Series, which the Phillies won over the Rays in five games.

Just for trying to compete without cheating and get 50 games is way out of line. :^

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:50 pm

kab21 wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:"There seems to be some confusion in testimony during the October arbitration hearing. According to Romero, Lien told him to get a second opinion; Romero took the supplement to a second nutritionist, who cleared it. In the hearing, Lien testified to that fact, but at another time he said he suggested Romero not take it. Romero in no way blames Lien."

This could be the case for all OTC supplements. You're suggesting that players take no supplements at all because there could be an unlisted ingredient in there. Romero (whom as a Twins fan I don't have fond memories) took a supplement that was approved by the MLB and twice checked with a nutritionist to make sure it was okay. I'm all for the crack down on steroids and HGH, but pretty soon players won't be able to take a multi-vitamin.

Nope I'm saying that there are definitely specific widely used supplements in the MLB. Why not just stick to those? Why take the chance on something you dont know anything about?
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 33)

Postby kab21 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:12 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
Nope I'm saying that there are definitely specific widely used supplements in the MLB. Why not just stick to those? Why take the chance on something you dont know anything about?

It was on MLB's approved list. And they found out something in July about it and didn't inform the MLBPA.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 519)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers