Erik Bedard - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Erik Bedard

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Erik Bedard

Postby ILLZ » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Zambrano is on my list of players I definitely will not take, period. Others on this list are Daisuke and Harden.
ILLZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby woodson_28 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:28 pm

ILLZ wrote:Zambrano is on my list of players I definitely will not take, period. Others on this list are Daisuke and Harden.

Harden is on my list too, but he fell really far in one of my leagues, and I couldn't resist.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:53 pm

If Harden falls far enough and it makes sense for your team, i.e. he's not your #1 or #2 pitcher, than he's worth picking up. For the 120-150 innings he will pitch, he should be pretty good...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby chickaboowah » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:53 pm

It's funny--after reading all these posts, you go into your draft thinking all these guys (Bedard, Harang, LIriano, Harden) are going to fall so far that it will be like grabbing aces in a barrell in the late rounds.

IT DOESN"T HAPPEN!!

I had all these guys in mind and they all went alot quicker than one might think, so be prepared to jump on them!!

**^^thanks Soxrock556 and sportsfan1433^^**
chickaboowah
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:17 pm

chickaboowah wrote:It's funny--after reading all these posts, you go into your draft thinking all these guys (Bedard, Harang, LIriano, Harden) are going to fall so far that it will be like grabbing aces in a barrell in the late rounds.

IT DOESN"T HAPPEN!!

I had all these guys in mind and they all went alot quicker than one might think, so be prepared to jump on them!!

There's a lot of talk about them falling here on the cafe as people have considered the risk and the hang-ups with each. However, when it comes down to draft day they each still carry name recognition and the average fantasy manager is probably going to take them earlier than they should. If you waited and ended up with better value as a result, kudos to you.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby silverZ » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:45 pm

chickaboowah wrote:It's funny--after reading all these posts, you go into your draft thinking all these guys (Bedard, Harang, LIriano, Harden) are going to fall so far that it will be like grabbing aces in a barrell in the late rounds.

IT DOESN"T HAPPEN!!

Liriano and Harden tend to go a little early. Harang and Bedard have been falling pretty far in most of my mocks and end up being #4 SP which is well worth the risk.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 44)

Postby ILLZ » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:06 pm

Yeah, I stand corrected. Harden is worth taking if he falls far enough, same with Harang. Zambrano and Daisuke are definite NO-NO's for me because their skills are just plain terrible. At least when Harden is healthy he's nasty. And whoever said he's worth taking for the 120-150 innings he'll pitch... I think penciling him in for that many innings is a reach. Last year was the first time in years he's been healthy enough to make it that far and he's already hurt.
ILLZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ScrappyDoo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:37 pm

ILLZ wrote:Yeah, I stand corrected. Harden is worth taking if he falls far enough, same with Harang. Zambrano and Daisuke are definite NO-NO's for me because their skills are just plain terrible. At least when Harden is healthy he's nasty. And whoever said he's worth taking for the 120-150 innings he'll pitch... I think penciling him in for that many innings is a reach. Last year was the first time in years he's been healthy enough to make it that far and he's already hurt.

How are Dice-K's skills terrible. He led the league last year in opponent's batting average. Sure he nibbles a lot and gets burned with walks but last year he had an ERA of 2.90 and had 18 wins. He'll get his wins with that offense behind him. This will be his 3rd year in the league so it's not like he's incapable of making improvements.

I'll take a flier on most of these guys if they fall far enough. Harden or Bedard may miss 10 or so starts, but when they pitch they give you top 10 numbers. That's what DL spots are for.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:42 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:
ILLZ wrote:Yeah, I stand corrected. Harden is worth taking if he falls far enough, same with Harang. Zambrano and Daisuke are definite NO-NO's for me because their skills are just plain terrible. At least when Harden is healthy he's nasty. And whoever said he's worth taking for the 120-150 innings he'll pitch... I think penciling him in for that many innings is a reach. Last year was the first time in years he's been healthy enough to make it that far and he's already hurt.

How are Dice-K's skills terrible. He led the league last year in opponent's batting average. Sure he nibbles a lot and gets burned with walks but last year he had an ERA of 2.90 and had 18 wins. He'll get his wins with that offense behind him. This will be his 3rd year in the league so it's not like he's incapable of making improvements.

I'll take a flier on most of these guys if they fall far enough. Harden or Bedard may miss 10 or so starts, but when they pitch they give you top 10 numbers. That's what DL spots are for.

Like mentioned before, I will gladly take Harden + late round top set-man and combine them for an ace, if Harden falls to the double-digit rounds.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby ILLZ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:47 am

ScrappyDoo wrote:

He's definitely capable of making improvements, that is true. But you cannot argue that his skills aren't bad. He put up a 1.6 K/BB ratio last year. That's just bad. You cannot have sustained success with that rate. His BAA is not a skill, that's a stat. BAA takes into account K's. BABIP (hit%) is what you need to pay attention to. His hit% last year was 27%, which is what held his ERA down (league average for pitchers is 30%). Strand Rate is another area where he got lucky. League average is 75% and he came in at 80%. All these things led his expected ERA to be 4.50, but he lucked into the 2.90 mark he ended up at. Another problem associated with all the walks and K's is that it gets his pitch count up, which leads to less IP (inevitably less K's and less IP counting towards your team ERA), and it gets him out of the game earlier, affecting win potential. Overall, I'm not going anywhere near him. He had a nice debut in '07, but he regressed badly last year and he'll need to improve or he'll become irrelevant very quickly.
ILLZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates