Pat the Ray - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pat the Ray

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pat the Ray

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:54 pm

Pat the Bat has to be the most undervalued guy this offseason. This was a great signing of a good hitter who generally flies under the radar.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:56 pm

Good signing!

The best deals are gonna come in the next few weeks. There isn't a huge market right now so players are gonna have to "settle" for 80% of what they expect in a typical offseason.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 450)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ayebatter » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:15 pm

So that makes him 'Pat the Bat Ray', decent signing for Tampa.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1267)

Postby stevethumb » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:25 pm

seems like a very good fit and the $ is very agreeable BUT i have always thought of burrell as very ordinary/mediocre..his OBP and career HRs look good but .250 BA and averaged 'only' 92 RBIs the last 3 years in that lineup in that ballpark..meh

on a side note, does anyone have any concerns that he may be slow to adapt to the AL and his role as DH ?

is the Trop a neutral park ? will that dampen his power (compared to citizen's bank)?
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby J35J » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:30 pm

Like I said the years and $$ make this an ok signing but I think he's being overrated in this thread. I'm going to guess that the change to a new team and a new league is going to hurt him....seeing all new pitchers and everything. Not to mention that he gets most of his stats in 2-3 months of the year and is pretty much useless the other 3-4 months and I think it is an "ok" signing....because there is little risk involved.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby Yoda » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:38 pm

J35J wrote:Like I said the years and $$ make this an ok signing but I think he's being overrated in this thread. I'm going to guess that the change to a new team and a new league is going to hurt him....seeing all new pitchers and everything. Not to mention that he gets most of his stats in 2-3 months of the year and is pretty much useless the other 3-4 months and I think it is an "ok" signing....because there is little risk involved.

He is not being overrated by any means. Given that most relief pitchers are going for more than what he signed, I'd be thrilled with a 120+ OPS bat at that price. He can't run and field but that is what the DH is for.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:47 pm

Great signing for the Rays if he brings that .500 slugging percentage with quite a few walks, bat to the Trop. The Rays needed a good righthanded bat for the DH spot, and for 16 million over 2 years, Burrell seems to be a good fit. ;-D ;-D I was worried with the Rays possibly missing out on one of these DH type of bats, so I am glad to see the Rays jump right in now before the Angels or maybe even the Sox made a huge offer.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:47 pm

J35J wrote:Like I said the years and $$ make this an ok signing but I think he's being overrated in this thread. I'm going to guess that the change to a new team and a new league is going to hurt him....seeing all new pitchers and everything. Not to mention that he gets most of his stats in 2-3 months of the year and is pretty much useless the other 3-4 months and I think it is an "ok" signing....because there is little risk involved.

The guy is a career .852 OPS bat (he's hovered around .900 for the past 3 seasons), and he's being signed for only 8 million a season. I'd be ecstatic if I was a Rays fan right now. They really needed a hitter, and they got a very good one on the cheap. These are the kinds of signings they have to make if they want to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:05 pm

would it be cliche for me to say "great signing" :-?

seriously though, great add by the rays...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers