The Sporting News 09 Guide on Newstands now. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Sporting News 09 Guide on Newstands now.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Sporting News 09 Guide on Newstands now.

Postby jcook3127 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:00 am

bigken117 wrote:magazines are good for bathroom reading but any serious draft prep done with them is foolish since info is had real time online. I still pick up a couple for the aforementioned reason :-b

Not a magazine, but the only paperback prep that can be done is with the Prospectus annual. ;-D

I think Ron Shandler would have something to say about that

I'm with everybody here though...can't draft with these guys...but, I still really enjoy reading these mags, seeing another view point...great bathroom reading material, and TSNews is my favorite 8 dollar mag..
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby converge241 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:14 am

Yoda wrote:Great so it is even less useful now that it is out 2 months earlier than usual. :-D

Sporting News Fantasy Guide is always one of the first, if not the first. This thing has never come out in March lol Imagine the poor sucker who picks one up in March or April though and buries his head in it on draft night

I love offseason reading material and bought it last Saturday, as said - no one should be using this on draft day though! it's a fun read for what it is - obviously isnt going to have a lot of signings etc.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Fighting Platypi » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:55 am

hybrid wrote:Not that I really care about mags or Sporting News in general. That said does anyone know if they have auction values? I would think they do and if so might give it a look as I'm doing my first and could use something as a guide anyways.

Yeah, it does have auction values.

I bought it, couldn't resist when I saw it. The pull out rankings will be handy to use as a score off sheet during a draft, and there are some interesting reads in there.

I noticed they are high on Mike Aviles and Shin-Soo Choo, which made me happy having just taken them at 157 and 236 in a Dynasty draft.
Fighting Platypi
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Kraftwerk » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:10 pm

Fighting Platypi wrote:
hybrid wrote:Not that I really care about mags or Sporting News in general. That said does anyone know if they have auction values? I would think they do and if so might give it a look as I'm doing my first and could use something as a guide anyways.

Yeah, it does have auction values.

I bought it, couldn't resist when I saw it. The pull out rankings will be handy to use as a score off sheet during a draft, and there are some interesting reads in there.

I noticed they are high on Mike Aviles and Shin-Soo Choo, which made me happy having just taken them at 157 and 236 in a Dynasty draft.

I drove to get it....yeah, color me addicted.

Holliday 5th ranked overall.

Lincecum 12th with Quentin 13th

Uttley taken 5th by an 'expert' who didnt check the wires and surgery news broke 25 mins earlier.....well butter my butt and call ne a biscuit cos i aint buying that weak excuse...

Lots of :-? which was expected, but its still great to have something to review in the tub.

I'll give them the benefit of probable typo, but they have Hamilton for 139 bb and only 71 K's......dang...Albert who??? :-D

Overall though, there's far more good than bad in it
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Fighting Platypi wrote:I bought it, couldn't resist when I saw it.

+1

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby converge241 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:52 am

Any others hit the stand yet?
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Montana168 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:15 am

Any others hit the stand yet?

well i know it's been available online for awhile but baseball forecaster is now available at barnes and noble in store. it said the other day it wouldn't be available until january 28th but its there now. first time i have ever bought the book (let alone pay $20 on a fantasy baseball book) but figured this would be more useful than another mag. it is extremely detailed and have only had it one night and have learned a lot of stats that i have never heard of and that are extremely useful.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kev921 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:40 pm

Why buy this publication for $8 or $9 when you can put that towards their on line service for $20 over 12 months (and constantly updates unlike the magazine)

Hey, that sounded good, maybe I could write for TSN? :-°
Some people take smoke breaks. I choose to take fantasy baseball breaks!
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Kraftwerk » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:31 pm

kev921 wrote:Why buy this publication for $8 or $9 when you can put that towards their on line service for $20 over 12 months (and constantly updates unlike the magazine)

Hey, that sounded good, maybe I could write for TSN? :-°

cos I cant take my laptop into the bath or down the bar :-?
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby bucksox » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:58 pm

just got mine. It's a fun read, and I think it just gets you thinking. Whether you agree with all their analysis is kinda besides the point to me. It's like spring training. It let's me know the season is approaching.
bucksox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers