Veterans Not Ready For Rocking Chairs? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Veterans Not Ready For Rocking Chairs?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Veterans Not Ready For Rocking Chairs?

Postby wkelly91 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:45 am

John Smoltz (41, 210), who seems to have made an accelerated recovery from mid-June shoulder surgery; he still waits for the Braves to return the love.

Tom Glavine (43, 305), who made up for not having spent any time on the disabled list his first 21 seasons by going on it three times last year, ultimately undergoing late-August surgeries on both his elbow and shoulder; he plans to begin throwing off a mound this week.

Kenny Rogers (44, 219), who had an active (30 starts) comeback from 2007's injuries but hasn't confirmed an interest to keep pitching; if he wants to, it figures to only happen back with the Tigers -- who've already acquired Edwin Jackson from Tampa Bay to round out their rotation.

Curt Schilling (42, 216), who underwent a contentious operation a few months after signing a 2008 contract with the Red Sox -- and before throwing a single pitch; he seems more concerned with being a growing media star through his loquacious and opinionated blogging efforts.

Andy Pettitte (36, 215), who ended the season losing seven of his last nine decisions to the tune of a 6.23 ERA; he says he wants to return to the Yankees, but there are rumblings he may have left that $10 million offer on the table too long.

Pedro Martinez (37, 214), who won 15 games in the first year of his four-year Mets contract, and 17 the next three; he is determined to keep pitching and the Mets say they are interested -- but only until they can reel in Derek Lowe and/or Oliver Perez?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Will any of this group make any impact in "09"?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Veterans Not Ready For Rocking Chairs?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:07 am

Impact? No.
I'd say Pettitte has the best chance to contribute.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:08 am

If Smoltz is progressing as quickly as reported, he will make the biggest impact from the Braves' bullpen.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby J35J » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:14 am

Only one I'll look at as someone I may draft would be Smoltz. Just depends on what happens with him the rest of this offseason.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Return to Baseball Leftovers