Setting up an in-person draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Setting up an in-person draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Setting up an in-person draft

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Matthias wrote:As far as draft board, we used these guys: http://www.fjfantasy.com/baseballkits.htm

I can't remember exactly how much it was, but it was around $50 or $60 and well worth it. We also hired a girl to play Vanna White, putting the names up on the board topless and in a thong. That was $200 plus a $40 tip and also well worth it.

I think those draft boards are useless.

They provide no in-draft value. How would it help me to look at who Team X drafted in the 6th round? It doesn't. The only valuable draft board is one that has each position listed by team.

So 12 sheets of large pads of paper side by side each with the actual roster of each team.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:40 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:
Matthias wrote:As far as draft board, we used these guys: http://www.fjfantasy.com/baseballkits.htm

I can't remember exactly how much it was, but it was around $50 or $60 and well worth it. We also hired a girl to play Vanna White, putting the names up on the board topless and in a thong. That was $200 plus a $40 tip and also well worth it.

I think those draft boards are useless.

They provide no in-draft value. How would it help me to look at who Team X drafted in the 6th round? It doesn't. The only valuable draft board is one that has each position listed by team.

So 12 sheets of large pads of paper side by side each with the actual roster of each team.

We do auction draft, not snake draft, so it didn't have any rounds at all on it.

What it did have was people's teams running across the top and then stickers for each position which we put down the side. And then all the players' stickers were color-coded to their position. So if you were looking for a 1B, you would scan for that color in case someone drafted them into a Utility or bench spot. Here you can get an idea, they have some of the Pitching positions running down the side. Think of that, but with all the positions.

But even for the snake draft ones, the stickers are still color-coded by position so you could tell at a glance which players were gone.

Basically, it's what you did except it's professional, looks nice, and is pre-printed in a legible typeface. It was a hit. And no, I don't work for them.

And if you really want to structure it that way, I suppose you could just use their auction draft stickers when you do a snake draft. No biggie.
Last edited by Matthias on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:46 pm

Oh, Ok, that makes more sense. Though I'm still not a fan of the color coding stickers. There's like 14 different colors that would be needed for all the positions and it seems like it would be confusing.

Plus, my option cost me only about $15.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Fourteen positions? What rules of baseball do you play? Nine positions, nine colors of stickers. All pitchers were the same color. It's really not confusing at all. And we did have the positions running down the side so all the players were slid into their primary position as long as it was available. But at least it was easier to find them once the bench spots started getting filled.

As far as cost, sure, your way is cheaper. All I'm saying is that if someone is considering things, this cost not that much and people liked it. That information is at least more valuable than you slamming them as useless and of no value without even knowing what they were.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:02 pm

C
1B
2B
SS
MI
3B
CI
LF
CF
RF
UT
SP
RP

Sorry, 13.

But I get your point. We likely won't have a live draft again, since everyone in my league is spread around the country (we had two guys fly from Chi-NY and get a hotel for the draft. Probably cost them 3 or 4x the cost of the league to get here for the draft)
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Texas Flats » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm living with my fiancee and her mother right now, so I really don't think they would appreciate me hiring a girl to walk around topless. Thanks for the suggestion, though. ;-) ;-)

We've only got 10 teams in this league (would have been 12, but 2 people dropped out before the draft last year and I couldn't find replacements fast enough). I think it's just 21 roster spots, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3 OF, UTIL, 2 SP, 2 RP, 3 P and 5 bench spots, something thereabouts. We've got a pretty big empty wall here in the basement (just moved in a couple months ago, who knows if the walls will still be blank come March, but at least for now that works,) so I'll probably just pick up some of those big post it things like curtis recommended.

I ran the ideas past a couple of the guys already, and they seemed to go over well, so maybe it won't be quite as hard as it originally seemed, since this is the first time any of us have done an offline draft.
Texas Flats
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Eagle Baseball » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:48 am

I run an in person draft and here are a couple of things I do. Now keep in mind my draft is a friendly family league draft.

1. Find a list of players ranked. When a manager drafts they will say something like "Jeter # 81" so all the other managers can quickly go down their list and cross off the drafted player. The LAST thing you want to happen is to have a player drafted by more than one team and not find out about it until the draft is over. By having all the other managers cross off drafted players you eliminate a player being drafted twice.

2. I provide each manager with a Player Drafted/Position Sheet. It is just a sheet where a manager can fill in who he has taken and which positions he/she needs to focus on.

3. Build in some time like every 6-8 rds or so for visiting/getting a drink/going to the can etc. If everyone knows a break is coming it cuts down on the asking for breaks.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ayebatter » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Matthias wrote: We also hired a girl to play Vanna White, putting the names up on the board topless and in a thong. That was $200 plus a $40 tip and also well worth it.

Any openings :-b
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1373)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:44 pm

Matthias wrote:We also hired a girl to play Vanna White, putting the names up on the board topless and in a thong. That was $200 plus a $40 tip and also well worth it.

:-D 8-o :-D 8-o :-D 8-o

I would definitely screw up my picks somewhere along the way.... ;-D
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby lsommerer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:34 am

We use a video projector instead of a board (actually we use 3 of them). It's usually not hard to find someone with access to one in a league. We have a spreadsheet to monitor picks and money (in an auction league). Here's a collection of auction/draft tools. They are mostly geared towards auctions, but you can use them with drafts (just enter $1 per player).

Here's the page: http://www.lloydandlauren.com/baseball/
lsommerer
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner