Matt Wieters - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Wieters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Matt Wieters

Postby Old_Style » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:24 pm

I think it'll take just a tad more than Wieters to put butts in the seats.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:40 pm

Old_Style wrote:I think it'll take just a tad more than Wieters to put butts in the seats.

I agree, but it certainly can't hurt.

Can anybody explain his arbitration situation to me? I am not totally clear on it...I was simply regurgitating bits of information I remember reading from various sources.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby ayebatter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:42 pm

Old_Style wrote:I think it'll take just a tad more than Wieters to put butts in the seats.

True, but the attendance didn't go from 3 mil to 1.9 mil in one year, but after losing out on Tex, Wieters is this years ticket (so far) to moving that figure up not down, he'll start with the big club in '09.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:07 pm

I posted this in the earlier Hernandez trade thread. I suggest you closely read what the GM says about this situation:

"As for Wieters, MacPhail said the phenom will get a long look in Spring Training but will likely spend the first few weeks of the season at Triple-A Norfolk. That planned timetable will give Wieters time to acclimate himself to upper-level pitching, but it will also necessitate the Orioles signing a veteran catcher this winter.

MacPhail said that Baltimore would seek out a catcher with solid game-calling skills to mentor his pitching staff, and he said he's also seeking a veteran who could mesh in as a backup whenever Wieters gets the call. The path is clear for the O's best prospect, but that doesn't mean MacPhail wants to rush him before he's ready.

"You're asking an awful lot of a kid with 200 at-bats in Double-A to start in the big leagues," said MacPhail. "If you're going to err, let's err on the side of being conservative. If he's ready, he's going to show it in a short period of time. That's an easy thing to fix. If you do it the other way, that's not such an easy thing to fix."
"

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... &fext=.jsp
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:11 pm

ayebatter wrote:Unless he has a major collapse in spring training - he starts for Baltimore. He was just taken in the 16th round of the Cafe experts mock draft, somewhere between 16-20 seems about right to me. Most leagues I'm in I'll be a non-owner because he'll be gone by the 12th, taken by some schmuck looking for a grape to brag about.

I think the Orioles will start him in AAA for a few weeks just to prolong the extra year of free agency. But very much like the Longoria situation last year, the Orioles fans will see Wieters very soon thereafter.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby San D » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:16 pm

I agree that the odds are Wieters will get a mid-season callup based on GoToWarMissAgnes' post. However, if Wieters has a really hot spring, I believe he is the starting catcher, and Pudge (or whoever) is the backup. Their last super prospect, Markakis, (and this is with the caveat that I remember this correctly) started out of spring playing almost full-time and the O's weren't worried about the arb clock. So, a precedence was set that if Wieters is ready (super hot spring), he'll be there on Opening Day.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:40 pm

You are right that Markakis started from the get go. I caught a lot of heat for advocating here for that, and on pure baseball terms that's the right move for Wieters, too. I defended that move even as Nick struggled through June, where he was still batting under .220.

Two important differences here. First, it was a different GM. McPhail has a history of taking it slow with young players. Second, it wasn't a catcher. Lot more for catchers to learn, so generally take it slower.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:04 pm

kab21 wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:
kab21 wrote:
I doubt they will care about preventing an arb year, but rather be more interested in prolonging his FA for an additional year.

Arbitration years (+3 pre-arbitration years) remaining = Years until FA.

Um no. He can be a super soph and get 4 arb yrs and almost 3 pre-arb years.

I thought that Super Twos only had 3 arbitration years. So that the team basically controlled them for 5 years and some change. I thought that was the whole deal with not wanting to start players' clocks. In your scenario wouldn't you actually control them for longer than 6 years?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:14 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I posted this in the earlier Hernandez trade thread. I suggest you closely read what the GM says about this situation:

"As for Wieters, MacPhail said the phenom will get a long look in Spring Training but will likely spend the first few weeks of the season at Triple-A Norfolk. That planned timetable will give Wieters time to acclimate himself to upper-level pitching, but it will also necessitate the Orioles signing a veteran catcher this winter.

MacPhail said that Baltimore would seek out a catcher with solid game-calling skills to mentor his pitching staff, and he said he's also seeking a veteran who could mesh in as a backup whenever Wieters gets the call. The path is clear for the O's best prospect, but that doesn't mean MacPhail wants to rush him before he's ready.

"You're asking an awful lot of a kid with 200 at-bats in Double-A to start in the big leagues," said MacPhail. "If you're going to err, let's err on the side of being conservative. If he's ready, he's going to show it in a short period of time. That's an easy thing to fix. If you do it the other way, that's not such an easy thing to fix."
"

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... &fext=.jsp

I'm not up to speed with how the Baltimore FO says and then does things but its smart not to just say Weiters is the guy from the get go. I've seen many times where there isn't a big vote of confidence in the young guy starting from the get go on purpose in hopes that the player works his butt off and goes in with the thought of proving management wrong. Instead of giving the player the thought that he's got the spot all wrapped up and the possibility that they don't work as hard in the offseason and spring training. Thats just a thought though....I have no idea. :-B

With that said, I kinda do hope they take it at least a little slow with him because I completely agree with... "If you're going to err, let's err on the side of being conservative. If he's ready, he's going to show it in a short period of time. That's an easy thing to fix. If you do it the other way, that's not such an easy thing to fix."
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:22 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
kab21 wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:
Arbitration years (+3 pre-arbitration years) remaining = Years until FA.

Um no. He can be a super soph and get 4 arb yrs and almost 3 pre-arb years.

I thought that Super Twos only had 3 arbitration years. So that the team basically controlled them for 5 years and some change. I thought that was the whole deal with not wanting to start players' clocks. In your scenario wouldn't you actually control them for longer than 6 years?

No, I don't think so. You don't become a free agent until you have 6 years of major league service (which is 172 days on the major league roster during the active season). Super Two status usually falls around 128 days of service, so if you hold off on promoting until June, you push the arb years back. Super-Twos get 4 years of arb and 2 years where teams set the salary, where Markakis has had 3 years of team setting the salary, and will get three arb years. Arb results, though, costsyou in $ especially for top players, so it's worthwhile for teams to push that back.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers