Matt Wieters - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Wieters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Wieters

Postby Zhangman1 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:55 pm

Been hearing tons of hype for this guy since the end of last season. By what I hear, he has the potential to be a switch-hitting Joe Mauer with more pop.

Is he gonna be starting opening day? And where do you see his value compared to other catchers? In a keeper league, I'm looking to take him after the Mauer, Martin, McCain, Soto, VMart group.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Wieters

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:20 pm

I seriously doubt the O's will give him the full-time job out of the gate. They are currently talking with Zaun and IRod to have a vert starter. Wieters will either share time initially, or will start in AAA, then come up so they do not burn a full year of pre-arb.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby ayebatter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:22 pm

Unless he has a major collapse in spring training - he starts for Baltimore. He was just taken in the 16th round of the Cafe experts mock draft, somewhere between 16-20 seems about right to me. Most leagues I'm in I'll be a non-owner because he'll be gone by the 12th, taken by some schmuck looking for a grape to brag about.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:35 pm

There's an arbitration situation similar to Longoria's from last year that will probably prevent him from being there initially, but he'll be up quick and will undoubtedly make a significant impact. I am the one who took him in the 16th round in the Mock and was ecstatic that he was still there.

As an aside, I would hope the O's wouldn't waste money on a guy like Pudge when Wieters is basically ready right now. Maybe Zaun but man Pudge would be a mistake because of the price tag likely to come with his name.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:05 pm

Guys, this is the Orioles we are talking about. If a move makes sense, they'll certainly do the opposite. They are currently thinking about signing Sexson.

Wieters will not get much playing time until they are sure they have prevented losing an arb year. Zuan or another veterane catcher will be signed to start the year and they tutor Wieters when he comes up.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:47 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Guys, this is the Orioles we are talking about. If a move makes sense, they'll certainly do the opposite. They are currently thinking about signing Sexson.

Wieters will not get much playing time until they are sure they have prevented losing an arb year. Zuan or another veterane catcher will be signed to start the year and they tutor Wieters when he comes up.

I doubt they will care about preventing an arb year, but rather be more interested in prolonging his FA for an additional year.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:50 pm

kab21 wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Guys, this is the Orioles we are talking about. If a move makes sense, they'll certainly do the opposite. They are currently thinking about signing Sexson.

I doubt they will care about preventing an arb year, but rather be more interested in prolonging his FA for an additional year.

Arbitration years (+3 pre-arbitration years) remaining = Years until FA.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:55 pm

My prediction is that he will start for the O's and the job will be his to lose. If they didn't think Wieters could start then why trade Hernandez? They'll get a good back up for him just in case but he could be the first legitimate superstar position player they developed in a long time.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kab21 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:08 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
kab21 wrote:

Arbitration years (+3 pre-arbitration years) remaining = Years until FA.

Um no. He can be a super soph and get 4 arb yrs and almost 3 pre-arb years.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby ayebatter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:09 pm

Yoda wrote:My prediction is that he will start for the O's and the job will be his to lose. If they didn't think Wieters could start then why trade Hernandez? They'll get a good back up for him just in case but he could be the first legitimate superstar position player they developed in a long time.

He will start, baseball is big business. Since 2001 the O's attendance has fallen each yr, from 3 million plus in 2001 to 1.9 million in 2008. The chance to have a player like Wieters from opening day, competing for Rookie of the Year honors, along side of youngsters Markakis and Jones, will put butts in the seats. As I said earlier, unless he has a complete collapse in the spring - He will start for the O's.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers