DeRosa To The Tribe - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

DeRosa To The Tribe

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: DeRosa To The Tribe

Postby ThatDude » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:46 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:Would you all like to describe Milton Bradley's injury history?

I haven't followed his career that closely, but I do know this.

Not counting his rookie season, he's averaged just under 97 games a season. That doesn't speak well for his durability.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:48 pm

Can someone explain what the big deal about DeRosa is, please? He had a great year, sure, but do we really think he's going to repeat it? He posted a 118 OPS+, his next best season was 2006 where he posted a 108 (136 games). On another board I go to, Cubs fans are going ape over losing him, unless it leads to Peavy.

Why should I believe he isn't just going to regress back to his career numbers. It's not like he's 27 and entering his prime. He's going to be 34 years old. I fail to see how this is a loss for the Cubs if it allows them to grab Bradley.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby ThatDude » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:52 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Can someone explain what the big deal about DeRosa is, please? He had a great year, sure, but do we really think he's going to repeat it? He posted a 118 OPS+, his next best season was 2006 where he posted a 108 (136 games). On another board I go to, Cubs fans are going ape over losing him, unless it leads to Peavy.

Why should I believe he isn't just going to regress back to his career numbers. It's not like he's 27 and entering his prime. He's going to be 34 years old. I fail to see how this is a loss for the Cubs if it allows them to grab Bradley.

I'm not really broken up about losing him, but I certainly hope this leads to more than just Bradley. I want to see a couple of these new guys flipped to San Diego in a deal for Peavy.

I mentioned in another thread that I didn't have any expectation of DeRosa repeating his numbers this year, and selling high is always a good idea.

Also, it doesn't make any sense to trade DeRosa just to sign Bradley. Any team with Bradley must have a solid backup in place, and DeRosa was the best backup option for RF that we had. I do really think this is just a step along the path to something bigger.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:12 pm

The DeRosa trade wasn't so they could sign Bradley. They traded Marquis to free up the money to sign Bradley. When the Marquis deal is official then they will announce the signing of Bradley.
DeRosa won't repeat what he did last season, and now was the perfect time to sell high on him. 34yr olds don't usually keep getting better. DeRosa isn't a quality OF anymore either, so they aren't gonna miss his defense much either. Good move by them, and it appears that other ML teams don't see a big value in DeRosa or the Cubs would have gotten more in return than they actually did.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 455)

Postby Old_Style » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:16 pm

Most Cubs fans aren't happy with the move because he's become a fan favorite over the last three years. He's one of the few guys, on the team, that you can root for. (At least that's how I feel.)
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ThatDude » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:42 pm

Old_Style wrote:Most Cubs fans aren't happy with the move because he's become a fan favorite over the last three years. He's one of the few guys, on the team, that you can root for. (At least that's how I feel.)

I root for everyone on the team, because they all wear the right type of jersey. I may not like them, in fact I never liked Marquis. But while he was wearing a Cub jersey, I rooted like hell for him, hoping against hope that he would stop sucking.

It's a rare player that I will root for when they put on some other team's laundry. Now that Kerry and Mark are Indians, I find myself becoming a bit of an Indians fan.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Old_Style » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:09 pm

ThatDude wrote:It's a rare player that I will root for when they put on some other team's laundry. Now that Kerry and Mark are Indians, I find myself becoming a bit of an Indians fan.

For obvious reasons, I have to hate both of those guys now.
Bummer... :-/
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Cow » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:41 am

I am not exactly excited to have given up 3 quality arms for a 34 year old infielder. Stevens in particular has a lot of promise and could help as early as mid-season this year, very nice bullpen arm. DeRosa is an upgrade over the likes of Andy Marte and Josh Barfield. DeRosa should help in the short term and he does fill a huge void. So I am not terribly upset over this deal. Especially when you consider that the Tribe has quite a few young bullpen arms waiting in the wings in the minors. It was inevitable that one of our bullpen arms was going to be dealt. I would have rather the Tribe signed a Joe Crede and kept Stevens. Or sign some other free agent. But DeRosa is pretty much a Casey Blake clone and the Tribe really liked Blake's versatility.

As for the Cubs, man I would love this deal especially if you were looking at DeRosa for RF. Because there are quite a few OFs still waiting to find a team. How About Bobby Abreu? If Bradley is a done deal, Bradley is an upgrade over DeRosa. The Cubs will actually improve in the OF and gain some young arms, a win win for the Cubs.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:57 pm

How many games did Bradley even play in RF last year for the Rangers? If I remember correctly he spent most of the year as a DH for them. I'm just weary of a guy with known temper issues playing in a city where the fans have gained a reputation of very quickly turning on a player if there isn't immediate performance, and where the fans are drunk enough to do something stupid to provoke Bradley. Could get ugly.

This isn't a horrible trade, though I'm sad to see DeRosa's versatility go. Aaron Miles is nice but he doesn't provide the same type of pop you get from DeRosa. What I'm concerned about is that so far, this team has become strictly worse from last year. Which was a team that got swept in the playoffs. Bullpen has been downgraded, offense has been downgraded, and SP is about the same right now. I was hoping this was a stepping stone to Peavy but from what I've read from the ESPN is that there are still no talks. I'm still confident Peavy will end up a Cub because its the only place he wants to go that is willing to trade for him, and the Padres don't want to spend a fourth of their budget on one player.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheGhost76777 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:17 pm

Great trade by Shapiro. It fills a big need and the Tribe did not give up much. Jeff Stevens is a major league ready arm but was down on the food chain in the Tribe's young arms. They didn't really give up much and they got a lot in return. This is basically Casey Blake version 2, and these guys are more valuable to the Indians than they are other teams. It also gives the Indians a real #2 hitter. His OPS+ has been over 100 for 3 straight years, so at the very least he is going to be a league average player which is more than you can say for Andy Marte, Josh Barfield or Jamie Carroll. DeRosa is also a Shapiro kid of guy in that he is a leader in the clubhouse and good teammate. Lineup is starting to look good.

Grady
DeRosa
Choo
Peralta
Martinez
Hafner
Fransisco (or LaPorta midseason)
Garko/Shoppach
Cabrera

OR...if Victor & Pronk come back healthy and effective and LaPorta is up sooner than later

Grady
DeRosa
Pronk
Martinez
Peralta
Choo
LaPorta
Garko/Shoppach
Cabrera
TheGhost76777
College Coach
College Coach