2009 Cafe Mock Draft Results - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Cafe Mock Draft Results

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Cafe Mock Draft Results

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:32 am

TheGhost76777 wrote:Round 1: Howard and Hamilton are not legitimate first rounders IMO. Sizemore and Braun are my favorite picks here.

Who else would you take then? I don't see any of the second rounders as much better options. I took Howard in a mock just now at 12 and was really happy to get him there. I don't really want to be the guy drafting Hamilton but I'd have a hard time drafting Beltran a round earlier than last year despite putting up the usual numbers with the roller coaster seasons he always has.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:35 am

Grounded Polo wrote:
TheGhost76777 wrote:Round 1: Howard and Hamilton are not legitimate first rounders IMO. Sizemore and Braun are my favorite picks here.

Who else would you take then? I don't see any of the second rounders as much better options. I took Howard in a mock just now at 12 and was really happy to get him there. I don't really want to be the guy drafting Hamilton but I'd have a hard time drafting Beltran a round earlier than last year despite putting up the usual numbers with the roller coaster seasons he always has.

I agree. Howard is worthy. Hamilton I don't think I'd take in Round 1, nor would I take Beltran.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby rookies and cream » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:40 am

Who would you take in the 1st then? Holliday? Johan? Utley?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:48 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:

I agree. Howard is worthy. Hamilton I don't think I'd take in Round 1, nor would I take Beltran.

I was pretty happy landing Tex in the 'Holics mock draft just now (and yes, I skipped Howard). Neither of the early 2nd rounders jump out so notably as 1st round quality for somewhat of a cut-rate bargain. I'd say Kinsler had he finished '08 with a full bill of health does and the same goes for Utley, assuming he's ready to go by Opening Day.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby TheGhost76777 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:54 am

Grounded Polo wrote:

I'd take Beltran + Rollins over Hamilton and not think about it twice. I guess Howard is a 1st rounder but I wouldn't want him really, especially 7th.
TheGhost76777
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:22 pm

TheGhost76777 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:

I'd take Beltran + Rollins over Hamilton and not think about it twice. I guess Howard is a 1st rounder but I wouldn't want him really, especially 7th.

Howard is a first rounder, but yes not at 7. I agree with that.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:53 pm

I can't really argue against any of the picks taken in this first round. To each his own...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby rjforlife » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:58 pm

Everyone keeps saying no to Howard at 7....so who are you taking. Sure the avg is a bit low but my god, he is the only elite power guy left and I just don't see who else is worth the pick....
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:00 pm

rjforlife wrote:Everyone keeps saying no to Howard at 7....so who are you taking. Sure the avg is a bit low but my god, he is the only elite power guy left and I just don't see who else is worth the pick....

The only real arguments I think can be made are for Sizemore, Braun, and possibly Teixeira. Hamilton and Holliday are no ways in my book (but I don't like either in Round 1 to begin with), and even with the three mentioned above, you're splitting hairs with a difference in one draft spot.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:04 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
rjforlife wrote:Everyone keeps saying no to Howard at 7....so who are you taking. Sure the avg is a bit low but my god, he is the only elite power guy left and I just don't see who else is worth the pick....

The only real arguments I think can be made are for Sizemore, Braun, and possibly Teixeira. Hamilton and Holliday are no ways in my book (but I don't like either in Round 1 to begin with), and even with the three mentioned above, you're splitting hairs with a difference in one draft spot.

You're assuming Cabrera at 6, correct? I would totally take Braun and Sizemore over Howard also.

The only thing about Howard is that his average might have been deceptively low last season.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers