2009 Cafe Mock Draft Results - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Cafe Mock Draft Results

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Cafe Mock Draft Results

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:48 pm

I don't have a problem with Kemp at all where he went (ignore sig). He put up the numbers last year that Upton is supposed to produce (20/40). I know his plate discipline is poor and he's still fairly raw, but the payoff (even in the third) is potentially massive while I think he's talented enough not to completely bust the pick.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:53 pm

i assume that fuenties won't fall to the 13th round now that he has a closer job for sure (i thought it was pretty much a lock he'd end up as a closer), but he is a great pick there imo.

i also like the garza pick a lot and i'm mad at myself for not seeing that he was still around as i would definitely have taken him with my pick.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 852)

Postby TheGhost76777 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:06 pm

My two thoughts on best + worst picks.

Round 1: Howard and Hamilton are not legitimate first rounders IMO. Sizemore and Braun are my favorite picks here.

Round 2: Utley is too risky here IMO with his healthy and the time he may miss. Other than that everything looks about right, Kinsler could end up being a steal.

Round 3: I don't have Longoria in my top 25, but then again last year I thought long and hard about taking Aramis Ramirez or Ryan Braun. So maybe this is a good pick. I still think I would take Carlos Lee and Vladimir Guerrero over him. Brandon Webb might be too high, I don't think he will come close to his win total in 2008.

Round 4: I would take one of the 3 M's (Mauer, McCann or Martin) over Corey Hart in a second. I'd rather have one of the top tier catchers over a #2/3 OF. Lots of good OF taken, I think the best picks would be Ichiro, Markakis and Granderson.

Round 5: I'd take a catcher here if I'm drafting, so Kudos to those 3 owners. I don't like Stephen Drew this early, I'd rather take an elite closer.

Round 6: Let Ryan Ludwick repeat his 2008 again before you take him this high. I doubt he has much fantasy value this season. A 2B that hits 30 home runs and drives in 100 runs is a good value at the end of the 6th round. Also think this is about right for the top closers.

Round 7: Beckett and Lackey have the potential to give you round 4 value so I like these picks. Michael Young doesn't belong here, slip him down a couple rounds and take him with Jeter and Peralta. I will go with Bruce, Votto or Pence over Young every day of the week. Martinez could be the best pick in this round if he returns to a top tier catcher. Remember he was a round 2 pick last year.

Round 8: Bruce, Pence and Votto are good picks. I think I would pass on Valverde and take a Kerry Wood or Carlos Marmol in the 11th/12th round.

Round 9: Can't think of much to say here, this looks just about perfect. I would slip Michael Young down here, he won't be 2 round better than Peralta and Jeter. Not sold 100% on Burnett but if he stays healthy he will give you the wins and K's to belong here.

Round 10: No way I take Matt Capps or Fransisco Cordero here. Grab Delgado or Thome get your 30 home runs & 100 RBI's then take Wood or Marmol in the next round. I would also take any round 11 guys over Jason Werth. I also like Figgins and the potential he has in round 10.

Round 11: Greinke and Liriano have great potential here and I will be targeting them in my draft around this time. I am assuming the Putz trade happened after this draft. Don't like the Vazquez pick, why take him so early and over Matt Cain?? Ibanez is a good pick, you'll get your 20 home runs and 100 RBI here at the end of the 11th. I like the Indians in '09 and think Wood will get 40+ saves with good ratios.

Round 12: Broxton and Marmol are the best picks, they have the potential to be dominant closers.
Besides that, nothing really stands out here...these are a bunch of "meh" picks.

Round 13: Arrendondo of course is no longer worth this pick, although this draft happened before the Fuentes signing. Beltre is a solid pick with his consistency. The pick I like best is Bedard, if he can stay healthy enough to even toss 180 innings, he will exceed this pick by at least 5 rounds. Fuentes becomes a steal here as well.

Round 14-17: I like the potential of Nelson Cruz and Clayton Kershaw, I would spend a round 14 pick on them. J.D. Drew and Troy Glaus could be an absolute steal in the 16th round. James Loney also seems like he should of been taken sooner. Devine is solid, can't argue with a closer in the 16th. Is Wieters going to start? I'd take a shot on Rickie Weeks in round 17 for sure...he has to break out sometime right?? I also like Mike Jacobs and Jeremy Hermida here.

Round 18:Fausto Carmona could end up on the wavier wire or could win you this league in the 18th round. If the real Carmona shows up, he exceeds this pick by at least 10 rounds. Gotta love 30 home run potential in the 18th round, kudos to Giambi and Ankiel owners. Solid picks in round 18.

Round 19-22:
If Hoffman can land a job, a closer in the 19th is brilliant. Gotta like the potential of Matsui and Big Unit in round 19. I'd take them 11 times out of 10 this late. Shin-Soo Choo could have excellent value in round 20, depending on where he hits in what could be a dangerous Tribe lineup. I'll take Mike Lowell here as well. George Sherrill in the 21st is one of the better picks in the draft. His ERA and WHIP might not be that great, but saves are saves and I'll take them in round 21. Also gotta love the Travis Hafner pick. If he comes back to career norms you have round 3-4 value in the 21st round. If not, you drop him and its no big loss. This would be in my top 5 picks of the draft, maybe the best. Also love Randy Winn in the last round...anyone look at his numbers last season?
TheGhost76777
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:22 pm

i thought long and hard between mclouth and ludwick.

i dont get all this love for the 3b's after chipper. i just dont think there are many guys that will come close to chipper when hes healthy. hes coming off of one of his best seasons of his career. if he gives you 100 games of chipper, ill live with that and fill in the 60 games with a headley, kous, etc... i realize it is a gamble to take him in the 5th, but i really dislike the 3b options next year.

(like i would in a real draft, i drafted quite a few players who were 3b eligible in case chipper were to go down.)

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:40 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:i thought long and hard between mclouth and ludwick.

i dont get all this love for the 3b's after chipper. i just dont think there are many guys that will come close to chipper when hes healthy. hes coming off of one of his best seasons of his career. if he gives you 100 games of chipper, ill live with that and fill in the 60 games with a headley, kous, etc... i realize it is a gamble to take him in the 5th, but i really dislike the 3b options next year.

(like i would in a real draft, i drafted quite a few players who were 3b eligible in case chipper were to go down.)

ya 3rd base seems a lot shallower this year than it has in the past. i basically won't be drafting one till pretty late if i miss out on one of the top 6
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 852)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:00 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:i thought long and hard between mclouth and ludwick.

ya 3rd base seems a lot shallower this year than it has in the past. i basically won't be drafting one till pretty late if i miss out on one of the top 6

agreed. i really wanted youk, but he went right in front of me.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:33 am

A few guys I was surprised to see go unpicked (unless I completely missed them in the list):

Carlos Guillen
Adam Lind
Josh Willingham
Ryan Spilborghs
Aaron Rowand
Jack Cust
Luke Scott
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:35 pm

Yeah but with a 22 player roster, there will be some viable players left off. I considered Lind and Willingham. Also left off was Guthrie who is very solid.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sheetskout » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:16 pm

There's no way Matt Kemp should have gone where he did playing in a pitchers park half of the time. There is also no way Kemp should be selected before Pedroia considering that OF is way deeper than 2nd base.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
sheetskout
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:38 pm

sheetskout wrote:There's no way Matt Kemp should have gone where he did playing in a pitchers park half of the time. There is also no way Kemp should be selected before Pedroia considering that OF is way deeper than 2nd base.

:-°

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers