100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fuentes to Angels

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fuentes to Angels

Postby ayebatter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:12 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:
ayebatter wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:So what of Arredondo? :-o And who closes in Colorado? Buchholz? Corpas?

Arredondo awaits another Fuentes colapse in the pen

Corpas is the man in Col.

Huston Street may have something to say about that.

Nah, don't think so. I ran the ultimate test of 'this or that' (magic 8ball), and Corpas was the winner ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1375)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 pm

I dont like it. With the system of pitchers they have and the money that could have been spent on a much needed bat.

Arredondo had the job, and the Angels basically sold it to Fuentes.
O well, time to see if all this pitching can out weight their lack of studly hitting.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:23 pm

As an M's fan, I like it. Now for them to just sign Dunn and Burrell. :-L
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:58 pm

I suppose the Angels simply didn't fancy Arredondo closing so soon and they would want to keep a steady 7th-8th-9th inning punch going.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:06 pm

It seems like they're making a move for the sake of making a move. Why not go after Manny on a 2 year deal?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby kab21 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:42 pm

I like the move for the Angels. Everyone seems concerned that Arredondo won't be closing, but in the big picture closers are overrated. What is important is having a solid bullpen especially the 7th, 8th and 9th inning guys. Did they have to make the move? No but more bullpen depth is never a bad thing.

And if there is one team that shouldn't care about it's draft pick, it's the Angels. They still have 4 top 45 (or around there) picks. They'll still have an excellent draft.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:47 pm

kab21 wrote:I like the move for the Angels. Everyone seems concerned that Arredondo won't be closing, but in the big picture closers are overrated. What is important is having a solid bullpen especially the 7th, 8th and 9th inning guys. Did they have to make the move? No but more bullpen depth is never a bad thing.

And if there is one team that shouldn't care about it's draft pick, it's the Angels. They still have 4 top 45 (or around there) picks. They'll still have an excellent draft.

If closers are overrated, then why do you think it's a good idea to give a mediocre one $17.5M? :-?

I hate them signing Fuentes, I just signed Arredondo for 5 yrs at $5 about a month ago. %-6
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:52 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:If closers are overrated, then why do you think it's a good idea to give a mediocre one $17.5M? :-?

Agreed. I guess if he can't close for whatever reason then he can become a LOOGY but that is just a lot of money spent on luxury. As I mentioned before, they developed far better pitchers than Fuentes the last 5 years or so.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kab21 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:06 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
kab21 wrote:I like the move for the Angels. Everyone seems concerned that Arredondo won't be closing, but in the big picture closers are overrated. What is important is having a solid bullpen especially the 7th, 8th and 9th inning guys. Did they have to make the move? No but more bullpen depth is never a bad thing.

If closers are overrated, then why do you think it's a good idea to give a mediocre one $17.5M? :-?

I said that the closer is overrated, but the bullpen as a whole is extremely important. And just because they have internally produced a great bullpen in the past doesn't mean that they have another guy that will go Arredondo, KRod or Shields on them.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:59 pm

kab21 wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:

I said that the closer is overrated, but the bullpen as a whole is extremely important. And just because they have internally produced a great bullpen in the past doesn't mean that they have another guy that will go Arredondo, KRod or Shields on them.

Or Percival.

Hmmm come to think of it, Halos always produced a dominant closer. Yeah, I don't like the signing.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers