Strategic question for the upcoming season in a H2H League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategic question for the upcoming season in a H2H League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategic question for the upcoming season in a H2H League

Postby William Shea » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:22 am

Hey guys,

i play in a 7x7 H2H league. Do you think it would work out focus on a really strong pitchting staff and just 2 offensive categories (preferebly 2B & SB, because most guys focus on HR,RBI and OPS) to suceed?
-Patrick-
playing Fantasy Baseball more or less successfull since '05
William Shea
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 67)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategic question for the upcoming season in a H2H League

Postby WyldStallyn » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:34 am

in a word, no.
pitching is far more volatile than hitting, which is why people focus on hr, rbi, and ops.
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby noseeum » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:40 pm

Ignore SB almost completely in H2H. It's impossible to predict what you'll get from your players in steals over a one week period. You'll pay for steals and then some guy will beat you in a week with one stolen base from Jason Giambi while Reyes gets none. Then other weeks Reyes will get 10 SBs and the other owner only gets 1, so you've wasted 8 SBs.

Not worth paying for. And it's a nice advantage to know this because someone will still draft Reyes in the top 5. Don't let it be you.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby William Shea » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:11 am

thanks for your replies!
-Patrick-
playing Fantasy Baseball more or less successfull since '05
William Shea
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 67)

Postby northjersey78 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:57 pm

I normally go for balanced guys on offense- people that will contribute in all categories. Generally speaking, hitting will be more valuable to load up on early for the reasons mentioned above. But I have won 3 of the last 5 championships in H2H by focusing on solid pitchers in mid-rounds and loading up on closers.
http://www.newyorksportstown.com

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Devils, Isanders, Knicks, Nets, Rutgers
northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Generally, I don't think much about SB and saves in H2H. My intention isn't to punt them per se, but I find I'm not really comfortable taking in a speedster or closer unless it's for a bargain that's tolerable enough.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:18 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Generally, I don't think much about SB and saves in H2H. My intention isn't to punt them per se, but I find I'm not really comfortable taking in a speedster or closer unless it's for a bargain that's tolerable enough.

Taveras in the 20th round, along with Upton, Beltran, and the April WW pickup Kemp led me to a cool 20-1-1 record in steals during my first-place run in '08. ;-D

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby ayebatter » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:28 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Generally, I don't think much about SB and saves in H2H. My intention isn't to punt them per se, but I find I'm not really comfortable taking in a speedster or closer unless it's for a bargain that's tolerable enough.

Taveras in the 20th round, along with Upton, Beltran, and the April WW pickup Kemp led me to a cool 20-1-1 record in steals during my first-place run in '08. ;-D

Yah, the rest of your relatives are still complaining about that gloat you laid on 'em. Dancing on the Thanksgiving table shaking your prize bobble-head at`them was just too much. :-b
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:35 am

noseeum wrote:Ignore SB almost completely in H2H. It's impossible to predict what you'll get from your players in steals over a one week period. You'll pay for steals and then some guy will beat you in a week with one stolen base from Jason Giambi while Reyes gets none. Then other weeks Reyes will get 10 SBs and the other owner only gets 1, so you've wasted 8 SBs.

Not worth paying for. And it's a nice advantage to know this because someone will still draft Reyes in the top 5. Don't let it be you.

I agree with the scenario you're talking about -- it happens all too often. BUT, I definitely don't ignore SB in H2H. I find that if you have several 20-20 type guys throughout your lineup, the likelihood that they'll take the category down for you each week is much higher. I.e., instead of going for a Reyes type, go for Phillips, Wright, Milledge, Aviles, C.B. Young, etc. They can all contribute every week, but they're not SB-only type guys. They're also trying to win the HR, RBI categories week-to-week too.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DbacksRback » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:06 am

productive pitchers are more available than hitters on the ww. I usually take stong hitters with 1/2 stud pitchers then go with some with a lot of upside or are usually solid. I agree with sb, They're not too good to target since they can be so unpredictable. But if you draft some players that u konw will get 15+ sb all over your team it makes more sense in a H2H.

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Return to Baseball Leftovers